Is my power supply good/powerful enough to run my system?

Hey guys, as most of you know i have been using intel HD 4600 graphics for about 3 months now because i have been saving up for my 970 strix. And today it arrived!. I played some games while talking to my friend moonzy and we observed some instability issues in GTA 5, it would frequently crash and just not work. So then i tried a aida64 stability test and tried a GPU stress test. all was good until i added the CPU into the test and then the pc instantly crashed.

so i downclocked my cpu from 4.7Ghz to 4Ghz just to be safe and i'm too scared to stress test my system again.

My question is this, is my VS450 Watt power supply powerful enough/good enough to run my 970?

Thanks in advance

P.S just randomly the screen started artifacting alot (yellow lines and blocks flashing, then the screen gets very jumbled then the pc freezes) while the system was just idling.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

It should be far more than enough, do you have any heavy OC's on your memory / GPU?

Nope, as i said my CPU was clocked at 4.7 and i downclocked it to 4. And nah i'm not some weird kid who overclocks their memory xD. And the GPU is brand new so now overclocks :P.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, 15Evan15 said:

A 450 watt for a 970!! ya right! that might be enough for the gpu only, not cpu, gpu, mobo etc..

Well ima get a new power supply, thanks for the advice!

Just now, ProKeero said:

Well ima get a new power supply, thanks for the advice!

pcpartpicker.com has a wattage calculator built in, why don't you give it your system specs and see what it recommends?

Probably a good idea to get more than what it says as well, just in case.

9 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Hey guys, as most of you know i have been using intel HD 4600 graphics for about 3 months now because i have been saving up for my 970 strix. And today it arrived!. I played some games while talking to my friend moonzy and we observed some instability issues in GTA 5, it would frequently crash and just not work. So then i tried a aida64 stability test and tried a GPU stress test. all was good until i added the CPU into the test and then the pc instantly crashed.

so i downclocked my cpu from 4.7Ghz to 4Ghz just to be safe and i'm too scared to stress test my system again.

My question is this, is my VS450 Watt power supply powerful enough/good enough to run my 970?

Thanks in advance

P.S just randomly the screen started artifacting alot (yellow lines and blocks flashing, then the screen gets very jumbled then the pc freezes) while the system was just idling.

Nope. Don't. VS psus poor quality.

2 minutes ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

pcpartpicker.com has a wattage calculator built in, why don't you give it your system specs and see what it recommends?

Probably a good idea to get more than what it says as well, just in case.

342 watts, and yea i heard the VS series is kinda shit xD. Ima get a new PSU.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Nope. Don't. VS psus poor quality.

Any power supply recommendations?

Just now, ProKeero said:

Anything from seasonic and most of xfx.

Just so you guys know System compiling sites like PCPP far over esitmate power draw for example when I had my 4690k at 5GHz with SLI GTX 960's I only drew 440 watts at absolute max where PCPP was saying it would draw close to 600! This system likely draws 300 watts at load.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Just so you guys know System compiling sites like PCPP far over esitmate power draw for example when I had my 4690k at 5GHz with SLI GTX 960's I only drew 440 watts at absolute max where PCPP was saying it would draw close to 600! This system likely draws 300 watts at load.

Probably for the better, some people would probably get as close to that number as possible. But one must think about future expansion.

57 minutes ago, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

Probably for the better, some people would probably get as close to that number as possible. But one must think about future expansion.

Computer components are becoming more and more power efficient all the time, in a generation or two you'll be able to put two top tier GPU's and a high end CPU in as system with a good 500W PSU.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

18 hours ago, ProKeero said:

How much do you want to spend ?