External Software

Schmarvin

I've come to a point where I'm using about 85-90% of my 1TB hard drive capacity for games/content. Now, I've got them in RAID 1 for redundancy, so that is 2x 1TB hard drives.

My issue is that I don't want to just add another hard drive (or two for another RAID 1) and nor do I want to add even more drives for a RAID 5 or RAID 10.

I was thinking of the option to spin up another VM on my server and install the programs/content to that as external storage. I have plenty of space on the server and a quad GB nic.

How well would this work? Any recommendations or objections?

how about just replacing your drivers with a larger one

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Replacing the drives on my system would require re-installing everything because I would have to delete the RAID and create a new one with the larger drives. The RAID card doesn't support bumping capacity like that. Otherwise I would stagger a hard drive upgrade.

12 minutes ago, Schmarvin said:

Replacing the drives on my system would require re-installing everything because I would have to delete the RAID and create a new one with the larger drives. The RAID card doesn't support bumping capacity like that. Otherwise I would stagger a hard drive upgrade.

Hmm you're using a physical RAID card and not a software RAID?

Can you set up two different RAID setups with the same physical card?  For example, connect 4 HDDs (2x 1TB and 2x 4TB). You currently have the 2x 1TB as a RAID 1 setup, add the 2x 4TB (I repeat, I am only using this as an example) as another RAID 1 setup.  Clone the drives and then change the driver letters?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Unfortunately, only 1 RAID setup can be done. It was a fairly cheap card back in the day when I got it. Though, I may want to upgrade in the future, at this time, I wasn't planning on changing the raid card.

Yes you can run software/program located on another machine (i was testing it the other day).

You will have to setup shares and all that stuff. Then you can run it my running the application but for it to work with other things on your computer you will have to set the PATH for that program to the address on the share.

For example (i was testing this):

I had python on one pc and had it shared with another.

I could run it by clicking on the run file but could not using it from console (cmd/powershell) (e.g.>>>python) so I had to set the PATH for python to the share.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?