WTF IS THIS

Flowey

Title says it all, heres a pic

If I wanted to use this keyboard, what kind of connector would I need? I think I've got one on my z170-A asus by it seems it's not working? Do I need some sort of specific drivers?

Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

No, that is a ps2 port, it's usually valued because it needs no drivers whatsoever. So it's likely that your keyboard may be broken. (or the port on your mobo)

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

3 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Good ol' PS/2

3 minutes ago, Groundedbeef said:

PS/2 connector, you can get a usb adapter.

Dont think you would need drivers for those but im not sure.

4 minutes ago, Nup said:

No, that is a ps2 port, it's usually valued because it needs no drivers whatsoever. So it's likely that your keyboard may be broken. (or the port on your mobo)

THX's y'all, then I guess it must be broke, cause it's either that or my mobo has faulty ports. tho as you guys mentioned I could get an USB adapter, that would be great, no need to spend 150$ on a mech keyboard if this one works, going to replace this shit that I'm typing on right meow.

you dont need specific drivers for that ps2 connector but if you plug it in you'll need to restart :P

ps2 isnt able for plug and play

you'll get the ps2/usb adapters for a few bucks on the web

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

OK this is the UK site but I would imagine there are lots similar around the world just check male and female are attributed to the correct end

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Replacement-Keyboard-USB-Adapter/dp/B0009RKLMG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459422856&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+to+ps2+keyboard+adaptor

Seems like your MoBo has a combined KB and mouse ps2 port see how it is half purple half green .  Try this (something dodgy with your board if this , and nothing else, is FUBAR).

io_ps2.jpg

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I remember many years ago when I was learning about building computers and I was always told to never plug a ps2 plug in when the PC is powered up as it can blow the port (I have also seen someone break the port on a laptop by trying to plug and play)

So short story is you may have blown the port if it was powered up when you plugged it in.

I could be wrong however but thats how I was always tought.

its a ps/2 but it looks f*cked up inside, the pins are bent all over the place, google it you'll see hwo its supposed to look... no way that would fit inside the female socket... maybe if you straighten them it'll work.

3 hours ago, soup said:

OK this is the UK site but I would imagine there are lots similar around the world just check male and female are attributed to the correct end

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Replacement-Keyboard-USB-Adapter/dp/B0009RKLMG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459422856&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+to+ps2+keyboard+adaptor

Seems like your MoBo has a combined KB and mouse ps2 port see how it is half purple half green .  Try this (something dodgy with your board if this , and nothing else, is FUBAR).

io_ps2.jpg

That's it, tried that before going to school, didn't know you had to restart do, so I'll try that soin. THX!

ps2.jpg

am i the only one who sees the issue here? the pins in original post look well bent to hell, if you try jamming that into your PC it wont fit at best or break the ps2 socket on the PC permanently. PLEASE make sure the pins are straight, they're supposed to be in a circle around with the plastic peg in the middle... don't sodomize your PC please.

Oh 

1 minute ago, Un4tural said:

ps2.jpg

am i the only one who sees the issue here? the pins in original post look well bent to hell, if you try jamming that into your PC it wont fit at best or break the ps2 socket on the PC permanently. PLEASE make sure the pins are straight, they're supposed to be in a circle around with the plastic peg in the middle... don't sodomize your PC please.

oh hell yeah they're straight, I never go in if something's not straight...or hard hehehe. just realized that the keyboard is like an inch and a half longer then the one I've been using (model m), so it's a nono.

@Flowey awesome, couldn't sleep calmly if i didn't make sure. 

alternatively can pick up one of these http://uk.cellphonecases.com/Ps2-To-Usb-Adapter.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productads&gclid=CjwKEAjwlfO3BRDR4Pj_u-iO2U0SJAD88y1Swq8UnLeszSiP9d_5wKumF_Qk-dhoVsmPavXYg26-jxoCoz3w_wcB#.Vv1HQidquYE from somewhere else probably and use it in any usb slot, most of the time. (actually never encountered it not working, but ey, who knows)

22 minutes ago, Un4tural said:

@Flowey awesome, couldn't sleep calmly if i didn't make sure. 

alternatively can pick up one of these http://uk.cellphonecases.com/Ps2-To-Usb-Adapter.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productads&gclid=CjwKEAjwlfO3BRDR4Pj_u-iO2U0SJAD88y1Swq8UnLeszSiP9d_5wKumF_Qk-dhoVsmPavXYg26-jxoCoz3w_wcB#.Vv1HQidquYE from somewhere else probably and use it in any usb slot, most of the time. (actually never encountered it not working, but ey, who knows)

Can you see the glaring problem?

Hint:-see the part in my post about ensuring what end is male and which is female (note to all you those who take offence at apparent sexism these are not my descriptions, plugs/sockets have been described as male/female for years).

Still with a hard reset OP should get his PS/2 port working and will not need an adaptor of any flavour.

Had a second look at that seems to be male both ends .  Colour me confused.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Just now, soup said:

Can you see the glaring problem?

Hint:-see the part in my post about ensuring what end is male and which is female (note to all you those who take offence at apparent sexism these are not my descriptions, plugs/sockets have been described as male/female for years).

Still with a hard reset OP should get his PS/2 port working and will not need an adaptor of any flavour.

Sure thing, I managed to make it work, thanks to y'all guys!