Thinking about selling my PC and only using my laptop. I want to keep my hard drives though, what are my options?

minimalist

As the title says.  I'm thinking about selling my PC but want to keep my hard drives.  I have a 1 TB SSD, 120GB SSD, a 4TB WD Green drive, and a 3TB Black drive.  I want to use the hard drives for storage and the SSD's for multiple OS's to play around on.  Maybe Virtualboxes, not sure.  What are some options I have that would allow me to do different things with them? 

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

A NAS I believe would work for remotely using OS's but you'd have to configure it some way I don't know.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Sell your PC, Buy a dirt cheap used PC with a low power draw (as new a i3/pentium as possible) for <US$150. Put that hard drive in that PC and use it as a small media server. Ive done the same thing.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

you could just get a lot of hdd enclosures, and hook them up to your laptop via usb

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

6 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Sell your PC, Buy a dirt cheap used PC with a low power draw (as new a i3/pentium as possible) for <US$150. Put that hard drive in that PC and use it as a small media server. Ive done the same thing.

What was the setup like?

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

6 minutes ago, Lord_Karango17 said:

you could just get a lot of hdd enclosures, and hook them up to your laptop via usb

Is there anything out there that could hold all of them and be plugged in?

Just now, minimalist said:

Is there anything out there that could hold all of them and be plugged in?

Im in a similar situation, because im only going to have my laptop when I go back to Norway for the summer, but my way of hooking them all up is just a standard usb 3 hub. It will look like a mess of cables, but it will work fine...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

1 minute ago, Lord_Karango17 said:

Im in a similar situation, because im only going to have my laptop when I go back to Norway for the summer, but my way of hooking them all up is just a standard usb 3 hub. It will look like a mess of cables, but it will work fine...

I'd really like to find something that can house it all :(

12 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Have a link to a PC you're recommending to buy?

You could build something in a node 304 it has enough space to fit all your drives

56 minutes ago, minimalist said:

What was the setup like?

NAS is a Lenovo Thinkcentre E73 tower I picked up with 8gb RAM and a 4th gen i3 for £130. HDDs where used-like new (had been kept in a storage closet for ~5 years) at £30 each. I run 4 2TB drives & a 1st gen intel SSD 240gb cache/boot I found in a hand me down laptop. Using a old intel raid controller, again used off of ebay for £15 as old server gear. OS is Ubuntu running a plex media server, a TS3, a small minecraft server & some other personal web stuff.

Laptop is a Gigabyte P35X I use for traveling for work & gaming since I dont have a desk.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

10 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

NAS is a Lenovo Thinkcentre E73 tower I picked up with 8gb RAM and a 4th gen i3 for £130. HDDs where used-like new (had been kept in a storage closet for ~5 years) at £30 each. I run 4 2TB drives & a 1st gen intel SSD 240gb cache/boot I found in a hand me down laptop. Using a old intel raid controller, again used off of ebay for £15 as old server gear. OS is Ubuntu running a plex media server, a TS3, a small minecraft server & some other personal web stuff.

Laptop is a Gigabyte P35X I use for traveling for work & gaming since I dont have a desk.

What do you think about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-Attached-Diskless-RN10400-100NAS/dp/B00BNI4CVG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just now, minimalist said:

Overpriced under powered peace of junk would be my honest opinion. You can build a general purpose server with far more potential processing power (or matching their energy efficiency using an intel atom) & a standard arcitecture for less.

PC:

IoT:

2 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Overpriced under powered peace of junk would be my honest opinion. You can build a general purpose server with far more potential processing power (or matching their energy efficiency using an intel atom) & a standard arcitecture for less.

Hmm.  Sounds like I'm going to have to look into this more.

5 hours ago, minimalist said:

~snip~

Hey there minimalist,

In order to have all of these different drives running like a AIO build for different OSs, storage and file sharing, your best bet might be building your own rig. Getting a pre-built NAS wouldn't really allow you to house all of these or to run different OS. 

One note from me: Since you are reusing all of these drives I would strongly suggest that you thoroughly check each drive's health with a tool from the manufacturer to make sure the drives are in top shape and won't pose any danger for the data stored on them. For the WD drives the tool would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

On 3/30/2016 at 1:28 AM, Captain_WD said:

Hey there minimalist,

In order to have all of these different drives running like a AIO build for different OSs, storage and file sharing, your best bet might be building your own rig. Getting a pre-built NAS wouldn't really allow you to house all of these or to run different OS. 

One note from me: Since you are reusing all of these drives I would strongly suggest that you thoroughly check each drive's health with a tool from the manufacturer to make sure the drives are in top shape and won't pose any danger for the data stored on them. For the WD drives the tool would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic.

Captain_WD.

I'll definitely do that, thanks so much!  I'm keeping everything on the drives so it shouldn't be an issue to run a test if the drive is full of data correct?

5 hours ago, minimalist said:

~snip~

Yes, the test doesn't require the drive to be empty. Have in mind, though, that if the drive has a problem, any load on it might enhance it and further damage the drive so a backup is recommended. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/