GTX 950 vs PS4

Flowey

I need to know these stats! How much better the GTX 950 is then the PS4? Don't care about any other part of the machine.

well a ps4 is way more useful than a 950 without the rest of the system cause at least the ps4 works by itself

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1 minute ago, ITheSpazI said:

well a ps4 is way more useful than a 950 without the rest of the system cause at least the ps4 works by itself

Yeah sure but 950 vs the PS4' APU, which one is theoretically better?

" The PS4 GPU is codenamed Pitcairn and is basically a cut down variant of the Radeon 7870 "

http://wccftech.com/playstation-4-vs-xbox-one-vs-pc-ultimate-gpu-benchmark/

Going off of this you can do a comparison

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7870-vs-GeForce-GTX-950

Won't be a perfect comparison, but a good approximation. Hope this helps.

Just now, mcfly said:

" The PS4 GPU is codenamed Pitcairn and is basically a cut down variant of the Radeon 7870 "

Thx bud!

Well, considering that you would have a PC to go with the 950, the 950 is better by a fair way. Plus you get a PC as well as a gaming rig so you can be a spreadsheet master as well as a CS:GO pro. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

10 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Well, considering that you would have a PC to go with the 950, the 950 is better by a fair way. Plus you get a PC as well as a gaming rig so you can be a spreadsheet master as well as a CS:GO pro. 

yay spreadsheets! 

they're actually very helpful with games like Rust

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

12 minutes ago, mcfly said:

Ugh.  You actually CAN'T make this comparison and people need to stop thinking it.  Console performance and PC performance is not NEARLY 1:1.   PCs are actually REALLY in efficient due to their usage of a general purpose operating system that utilizes a whole slew of abstraction between software and hardware to ensure that that software can correctly interact with literally millions of different possible hardware combinations.  Consoles on the other hand have extremely efficient operating systems that run much, much, much closer to metal.  When every console is nearly identical and even hardware revisions are only minor changes, you can get a good margin more power out of a console than a PC with equivalent hardware.

This is even how DX12 works and gains it's advantages.  DX12 runs closer to metal but this also increases the burden on developers to ensure all hardware combinations operate correctly.

To be clear however, this doesn't mean you theoretically could not do this on a PC.  You could TOTALLY build one PC and then build a game with a near dedicated OS that runs the game super close to metal, but this software and OS would basically ONLY work on that hardware configuration.  It wouldn't work on any PCs that weren't identical in hardware, and I mean IDENTICAL, whole thing, even the chipset and the storage controller.

Haven't any of you wonder how a classic Xbox with a Celeron 733mhz single core CPU and a 'GeForce 3.5 GPU' and only 64GB of ram shared between them could run games that an equivalent PC could have run?  That thing was so close to being a PC that Linux was ported to it with minimal effort, but it could outclass PCs because it ran close to metal.

Eh, thing is, is that a 750 ti could match the PS4's GPU quite easily. I have a theory that the PS4's GPU is clocked pretty low, because most of the time when I've seen desktop Pitcairn chips compared to the PS4 the desktop wins. Same goes for the 950.

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ugh.  You actually CAN'T make this comparison and people need to stop thinking it.  Console performance and PC performance is not NEARLY 1:1.   PCs are actually REALLY in efficient due to their usage of a general purpose operating system that utilizes a whole slew of abstraction between software and hardware to ensure that that software can correctly interact with literally millions of different possible hardware combinations.  Consoles on the other hand have extremely efficient operating systems that run much, much, much closer to metal.  When every console is nearly identical and even hardware revisions are only minor changes, you can get a good margin more power out of a console than a PC with equivalent hardware.

This is even how DX12 works and gains it's advantages.  DX12 runs closer to metal but this also increases the burden on developers to ensure all hardware combinations operate correctly.

To be clear however, this doesn't mean you theoretically could not do this on a PC.  You could TOTALLY build one PC and then build a game with a near dedicated OS that runs the game super close to metal, but this software and OS would basically ONLY work on that hardware configuration.  It wouldn't work on any PCs that weren't identical in hardware, and I mean IDENTICAL, whole thing, even the chipset and the storage controller.

Haven't any of you wonder how a classic Xbox with a Celeron 733mhz single core CPU and a 'GeForce 3.5 GPU' and only 64GB of ram shared between them could run games that an equivalent PC could have run?  That thing was so close to being a PC that Linux was ported to it with minimal effort, but it could outclass PCs because it ran close to metal.

Okay well I believe it is an adequate approximation of graphic quality. I understand it's like apples and oranges here but OP doesn't seem to need to know the specific technicalities of comparing GPU's across operating systems.

Everyone here is well aware of my post being a very rough approximation of power. 

13 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Eh, thing is, is that a 750 ti could match the PS4's GPU quite easily. I have a theory that the PS4's GPU is clocked pretty low, because most of the time when I've seen desktop Pitcairn chips compared to the PS4 the desktop wins. Same goes for the 950.

You'd have to be a lot more specific since there's a whole range of GPUs in the Radeon HD 7XXX range.  Since the PS4 is slightly custom it sits halfway between HD 7870 and 7850, there's no direct equivalent since AMD basically took a 7870, disabled two cores, (Probably to improve yields) and made something sort of between the two. There's also the issue of clock speed in desktop cards.  I run an HD 7950 in a home theater PC, it's an XFX model, the 7950 has a reference clock speed of 800mhz, XFX however gave if a factory OC of 925mhz and frankly I was able to OC it to 1070mhz without issue.  Reportedly, the PS4's GPU also runs at 800mhz, which would match the 7850's reference clock speed.  So you can't just say 'I think the PS4 is clocked faster' without considering weather the compared desktop cards are overclocked.

Also, HD 7950 totally does trump the PS4 in gaming so far, not by a MASSIVE margin but it's there but it's also running 1070mhz. :P

• 2 months later...

Either solution is a 30 FPS experience in demanding titles.  The GTX 950 has a bit more headroom, which can allow for you to lower settings slightly for 60 FPS.  So overall image quality will be slightly better, but I doubt it will be very noticeable unless you're comparing screenshots.

The 950 will benefit from a stronger CPU in some games though and result in better performance.

It's really not possible to give an exact performance difference, but theoretically the 950 is stronger.  Practically, I think both offer a very similar experience with PC having the same advantages and disadvantages it always does.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti