Power button broke needs replacement

aman2499

Recently the power button for my antec skeleton broke and i called up antec and they said they dont do repairs and that they dont carry any more buttons so i was wondering what should i do because i cant seem to find right button any were online

Buy new case all i can think of, or have the hassle of using a screwdriver to short the pins to turn it on

CPU: me | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Asus Z170-A | 32GB Dominator Plats | 512gb SSD/4TB WD Black | 980Ti | BQ Silent Base 800 | EVGA 850w |

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101
BEST PC FOR THE PRICE:

$400 $500 $600 $700 $800 $900 $1000

If you want to Silence your PC/Room more, contact me.

5 minutes ago, aman2499 said:

Recently the power button for my antec skeleton broke and i called up antec and they said they dont do repairs and that they dont carry any more buttons so i was wondering what should i do because i cant seem to find right button any were online

If it's just a simple tactile switch you can get replacements online for not too much or go with something like a momentary vandal switch, do you have a photo of what it looks like? 

-Moved to Modding Section-

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

If it's just a simple tactile switch you can get replacements online for not too much or go with something like a momentary vandal switch, do you have a photo of what it looks like? 

-Moved to Modding Section-

its not just one of those screw-ins

Capture.PNG

with some creativity you can mount any button you want behind that button cover thingy (talking from experience here)

all you really need is a switch (duh) the wire to plug onto the motherboard, maybe some scrap wood/plastic/metal for mounting, hot glue, and preferably soldering skill, but some bodging should do just fine.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Hmm hard to say, since it looks just like a black box. but you could get something like this which is a tactile switch, nice and big so it will be easy to solder and put the power button over:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9190

in all honesty, even just cutting off the wires and having the press make them "touch" would be #goodEnough xD

Since it's already an open case and everything, why not just get one of these?

Spoiler

screwdriver_overview.jpg7F96BB1B-6EDF-4D

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

Since it's already an open case and everything, why not just get one of these?

Hide contents

screwdriver_overview.jpg7F96BB1B-6EDF-4D

xD 

If you have access to a spare electrical fan heater you could use a switch from one of those. They usually have a plastic knob at the bottom of them that is connected to a switch to make sure they only turn on when they are on the ground. If you extract that switch you can bend the metal part of the switch, put a spring on it and use the plastic of your old button. (if the imaginative plan in my rather insane mind works) here is a pic of the switch on the fan i salvaged (it is now a 9V custom doorbell for a shed)

It looks like this:

56fb116e86f9a_WP_20160330_0011.thumb.jpg

Just solder the power switch connectors to the contacts with the holes in it (or just wrap them around an cover it up with electrical tape). If you then press down on the long metal piece your pc should power on and you should be good to go ;)

Just now, BerserkBear404 said:

If you have access to a spare electrical fan heater you could use a switch from one of those. They usually have a plastic knob at the bottom of them that is connected to a switch to make sure they only turn on when they are on the ground. If you extract that switch you can bend the metal part of the switch, put a spring on it and use the plastic of your old button. (if the imaginative plan in my rather insane mind works) here is a pic of the switch on the fan i salvaged (it is now a 9V custom doorbell for a shed)

It looks like this:

56fb116e86f9a_WP_20160330_0011.thumb.jpg

Just solder the power switch connectors to the contacts with the holes in it (or just wrap them around an cover it up with electrical tape). If you then press down on the long metal piece your pc should power on and you should be good to go ;)

thanks for this advice but i just found a monetary switch pre solderd with led pezio and a bunch other crap i dont need for $1.99

Just now, aman2499 said:

thanks for this advice but i just found a monetary switch pre solderd with led pezio and a bunch other crap i dont need for $1.99

glad you found something:D this might also work better than my ghetto solution9_9