Best mother board? for 3 way sli

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

welcome to the Linus tech Tips forums!

so far on the LGA1151 platform, there is no choice for triple SLI due to the PCIe lane availability (x16, x8x8, x8x4x4). only if the motherboard has an onboard PLX controller, then simulated PCIe lanes can exist (LGA 1150 ASUS Maximus Extreme VI)

neither can support triple SLI, only if you move to the LGA 2011/2011-3 platform triple SLI is available.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula, S-1151 or  ASUS Z170-DELUXE, Socket-1151

for 3 way sli

hey im creating my first gaming pc and want to first get a gu and later get more of the same when the price drops.

i like the features of the asus by a bit, and the Asus Deluxe  is 100$ cheaper.  under you will se what scared me

Rog                                                                                          Asus Deluxe

1 x CPU
4 x DIMM 288-pin
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 ( dobbelt x8-modus; enkeltkort: x16-modus )
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 ( x4-modus )
3 x PCIe 2.0 x1 
1 x CPU
4 x DIMM 288-pin
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 ( dobbelt x8-modus; enkeltkort: x16-modus )
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 ( x4-modus )
4 x PCIe x1 

the rog has 3 x pci 2.0 vs the deluxe with 4 pcie but they are gen one?

i would apreciate any help

Nils

nevermind i found it on their website im going with the deluxe one

so far on the LGA1151 platform, there is no choice for triple SLI due to the PCIe lane availability (x16, x8x8, x8x4x4). only if the motherboard has an onboard PLX controller, then simulated PCIe lanes can exist (LGA 1150 ASUS Maximus Extreme VI)

neither can support triple SLI, only if you move to the LGA 2011/2011-3 platform triple SLI is available.

Just so you know 2 gpus dosent mean double performance.

I dont know exactly but i think its somewhere around 70% on 2nd gpu and 50% on third.

Also games need to be optimised for sli its possible a game only use one.

Yes its a good mobo. you cannot really go wrong with skylake.

will it support 2 way or will it be possible with the hardware? is it just software issue

11 minutes ago, xgn said:

Just so you know 2 gpus dosent mean double performance.

I dont know exactly but i think its somewhere around 70% on 2nd gpu and 50% on third.

Also games need to be optimised for sli its possible a game only use one.

Yes its a good mobo. you cannot really go wrong with skylake.

i know it does not mean double but when the eprise drops on my card i can get more usage out of it by getting a cheap number two or third in a max scenario

13 minutes ago, airdeano said:

do you know if two way sli is supported on the card? also is it liy that thre way sli will be possibe later with the same hardware?

in an update or simmilar? ty for help btw ;)

yes, dual SLI is available on either board (x8x8), even the signature motherboards Z170a has this feature.

at this time, three/four way is not going to be supported in the ROG line, and prolly the z170 line-up. scaling from dual to triple is minimal, but costs are exponentially high. no gain on return for 3/4-way SLI. but that is why there is  the LGA 2011-3 platform for enthusiasts that want it regardless.

on AMD though, you can use three AMD cards (only need x4) as nVidia requires minimum of x8 for functionality.

1 hour ago, KNarild said:

will it support 2 way or will it be possible with the hardware? is it just software issue

i know it does not mean double but when the eprise drops on my card i can get more usage out of it by getting a cheap number two or third in a max scenario

do you know if two way sli is supported on the card? also is it liy that thre way sli will be possibe later with the same hardware?

in an update or simmilar? ty for help btw ;)

There are no skylake asus board which support it

You can buy either,  ASRock Z170 Extreme4 or EVGA Z170 Classified

The evga is e-atx so if you buy this make sure you have room for it.

Edit

Actually Asus170 , WS and sabertooth is capable.

8 hours ago, xgn said:

Edit

im going for the deluxe asus one, space is not an issue either as im using an old server case. tbh i think i will be fine with just 2 way sli. 

ty for your time :) 

• 1 month later...
On 29.3.2016 at 0:46 AM, xgn said:

Edit

i do not think sabertooth supports 3way sli, i think it requers the pci simulator, or does it. i did some research on it and some places it did say it could and some it could not