Is this worth trying?

mcraftax

So... I had the idea of emailing local tech business to see if they have any unwanted/not used anymore networking equipment or any computer stuff. This is because I really want to learn different technologies and I am in year 9 (UK, grade 8 i think in the US) so buying stuff really is not an option. Of course it would be word differently and written properly but is it worth trying?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

btw I don't know if this is in the right subforum?...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

So... I had the idea of emailing local tech business to see if they have any unwanted/not used anymore networking equipment or any computer stuff. This is because I really want to learn different technologies and I am in year 9 (UK, grade 8 i think in the US) so buying stuff really is not an option. Of course it would be word differently and written properly but is it worth trying?

Can´t hurt. Worse they can do is say no.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

what he said, they can only say no i would give it a go. i managed to get a 5 port network switch from IT at my school 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

If your city is anything like mine, you won't get much. I actually started up a legitimate Society (non profit organization) to take in used computer parts (donated) rebuilt PC's and give them to people who can't afford them and was shot down at every turn. I still do this, but I get personal donations instead. Unfortunately businesses are just that, businesses. They would get more from scrapping the parts for their bare metal than they would giving them away.

You could also explore the option of going in and watching or something like that, as opposed to getting parts, watch what they do with them.

This is never a bad thing to try. Most companies pay to have old servers taken off their site. Just be sure to tell them to pull the drives out first - this lets them know that you don't plan on stealing data and they will be more likely to think you know what you're doing with the hardware.

the only downside to this is that you'll have to find drives somewhere...

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

16 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

16 hours ago, scobie56 said:

what he said, they can only say no i would give it a go. i managed to get a 5 port network switch from IT at my school 

16 hours ago, Mikius10001 said:

If your city is anything like mine, you won't get much. I actually started up a legitimate Society (non profit organization) to take in used computer parts (donated) rebuilt PC's and give them to people who can't afford them and was shot down at every turn. I still do this, but I get personal donations instead. Unfortunately businesses are just that, businesses. They would get more from scrapping the parts for their bare metal than they would giving them away.

You could also explore the option of going in and watching or something like that, as opposed to getting parts, watch what they do with them.

Ok thanks

8 hours ago, Sunshine1868 said:

This is never a bad thing to try. Most companies pay to have old servers taken off their site. Just be sure to tell them to pull the drives out first - this lets them know that you don't plan on stealing data and they will be more likely to think you know what you're doing with the hardware.

Yes good point, i agree, but no drive is a slight problem

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

20 hours ago, mcraftax said:

I would ask them if they could just sell it to you for cheap. Thats how I get most of my networking gear. 

Breaking things 1 day at a time

12 hours ago, Sunshine1868 said:

I would just ask them to run DBan on the drives if they don't need them anymore.

Edit: Just make sure that EVERYTHING they want is off those drives. Once you go DBAN you never go back

Breaking things 1 day at a time

The only issue with this is at least where I work we can't give away decommissioned servers, even to employees, or sell them. Both compliance/regulations and company policy prevent us from doing so.

We have to pay for removal of equipment to secure disposal company that removes any data from the servers/switches, wipes bios/firmware etc and secure erases the disks. Sure after this process the company that does this for us sells them as refurbished but there is no conflict of interest or any pecuniary advantage, lawyer bollocks basically.

Often it is not the case that a business is not willing or does not want to give you the equipment, they just can't. Real shame since we throw out extremely good equipment that most businesses would dream of having themselves and for no other reason than the warranty is up and we don't extend them.

Edit: I'd still ask, not every place is going to be as strict as where I work on this matter.