NAS video editing hellp

I run a video production company, and I'm looking to expand my storage by accuiring a NAS Prebuilt or not I have a question about interfacing.

Is it possible that I can access my Nas remotely from my laptop while  using the cpu gpu etc of my laptop and to process render and edit  while it draws my source files over the network WiFi or wired when I'm not in my home or on my home network??

The cpu will be reading and writing the files so it will use power but it can do both at the same time, yes. Was there more to the question?

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Yes but it will be very slow over wifi i think (the nas will basically be seen as a hard drive so there's no difference here)

4 minutes ago, DarkRuskov said:

Yes but it will be very slow over wifi i think (the nas will basically be seen as a hard drive so there's no difference here)

Pretty much, itll show up as either a file or as a local file sharing computer and you can browse it as if it were a disk

However, most wifi can run at 600mbps so it wont be unbearably slow. I would suggest the NAS be hardwired but the laptop will be fine without it. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

16 hours ago, RedWulf said:

Pretty much, itll show up as either a file or as a local file sharing computer and you can browse it as if it were a disk

However, most wifi can run at 600mbps so it wont be unbearably slow. I would suggest the NAS be hardwired but the laptop will be fine without it. 

So if I am lets say a friends house editing or somewhere with wifi access, and I have the NAS setup at how would this be acheived a VPN or a SFTP ? or does windows have built in support for it?

44 minutes ago, dfsproductions said:

So if I am lets say a friends house editing or somewhere with wifi access, and I have the NAS setup at how would this be acheived a VPN or a SFTP ? or does windows have built in support for it?

Well for a vpn the networks have to be linked or you can sign in if its paid, honestly thats probably the best option if you care to pay for a vpn option. You could always set up a site or some routers and ISPs will provide a domain to log into for file sharing via gui. Other than that FTP is pretty much your only option. But at the speeds those would transfer over the internet, I would suggest just buying a 2tb harddrive and carrying your current projects with you. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

I am trying to avoid a hard drive If i get a NAS. I just bought a RAZER Blade 14 which is awesome but it only has 256 GB drive in it. I think Im just confused on how Adobe Premiere CC will interface with the NAS off site and using it as a hard drive and not have to relink media every time.

If you want to edit video files that are stored elsewhere, the speed of *every* link between you and the source becomes very important. Take a look at what bitrate you cameras record at - it's probably around 25-50Mb/s. So just playing back a single video stream stored elsewhere will require at least that much bandwidth. If you do any effects, like fades or PiP, that's two streams, double the bandwidth. The overall latency between you and the source matters as well - when you click on a spot in the timeline that isn't in your local computer's memory, it's going to have to go retrieve that frame from the file. And if you render previews, those files are going to need to be stored somewhere - you could store them on your local machine, which is what I recommend, but if you try to store them alongside the source material, now you're talking about uploading large video files. The preview files are normally compressed much less than the source files are.

If you want to use a VPN, it's going to have to be a VPN that you set up yourself on the router the NAS is connected to, and the editor's computer will need to be able to connect to this VPN. Connecting both the NAS and the editor's computer to a public/paid VPN is unlikely to work because they probably prevent client devices from communicating with each other.

Here's a checklist of items that you need to check the bandwidth of:

• Ethernet link between the NAS and the router/switch (should be gigabit unless you have a bad wire or old/cheap router/switch)
  • Internet speed of the location of the NAS (ignore if the user is on the same physical network as the NAS)
  • VPN processing speed of the router at the NAS end (most consumer/SOHO routers can only support 10-20Mb/s of IPSec or OpenVPN traffic, or 50-200 Mb/s of PPTP traffic) (ignore if not using a VPN between the editor's computer and the router at the NAS)
  • Internet speed of the location of the editor (ignore if the user is on the same physical network as the NAS)
  • Link speed between the editor and the editor's router (if wireless, then the type of wifi supported by the router and the editor's computer becomes very important, as well as the signal strength and noise floor of the connection)
  • Finally, even if both routers (NAS and editor) have 200Mb/s internet connections, you are unlikely to see that speed on a link between the two locations, especially if they are on different ISPs. I have one site with a 50/50 internet connection and another with a 50/10 internet connection, and I'm lucky if I can get 25/10 between the two sites. 20/10 is more typical for that connection.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

If you want to edit video files that are stored elsewhere, the speed of *every* link between you and the source becomes very important. Take a look at what bitrate you cameras record at - it's probably around 25-50Mb/s. So just playing back a single video stream stored elsewhere will require at least that much bandwidth. If you do any effects, like fades or PiP, that's two streams, double the bandwidth. The overall latency between you and the source matters as well - when you click on a spot in the timeline that isn't in your local computer's memory, it's going to have to go retrieve that frame from the file. And if you render previews, those files are going to need to be stored somewhere - you could store them on your local machine, which is what I recommend, but if you try to store them alongside the source material, now you're talking about uploading large video files. The preview files are normally compressed much less than the source files are.

If you want to use a VPN, it's going to have to be a VPN that you set up yourself on the router the NAS is connected to, and the editor's computer will need to be able to connect to this VPN. Connecting both the NAS and the editor's computer to a public/paid VPN is unlikely to work because they probably prevent client devices from communicating with each other.

Here's a checklist of items that you need to check the bandwidth of:

• Ethernet link between the NAS and the router/switch (should be gigabit unless you have a bad wire or old/cheap router/switch)
  • Internet speed of the location of the NAS (ignore if the user is on the same physical network as the NAS)
  • VPN processing speed of the router the NAS end (most consumer/SOHO routers can only support 10-20Mb/s of IPSec or OpenVPN traffic, or 50-200 Mb/s of PPTP traffic) (ignore if not using a VPN between the editor's computer and the router at the NAS)
  • Internet speed of the location of the editor (ignore if the user is on the same physical network as the NAS)
  • Link speed between the editor and the editor's router (if wireless, then the type of wifi supported by the router and the editor's computer becomes very important, as well as the signal strength and noise floor of the connection)

Ok so I understand that now thank you that was a great explanation ,

Next question would be how would adobe premiere recognize the NAS as a server hard drive ? and how would it interface?

Just now, dfsproductions said:

Ok so I understand that now thank you that was a great explanation ,

Next question would be how would adobe premiere recognize the NAS as a server hard drive ? and how would it interface?

First, the NAS needs to be running a file server software that your computer can connect to. Since this is the primary reason for a NAS, that shouldn't be very hard :) Next, you connect to the NAS from your computer and tell your computer to mount the remote folder as a drive (on Windows, you open the File Explorer and choose Map Network Drive; on OSX you open Finder and choose Go > Connect to Server). Then you open Premiere and add your source files from the mounted file share.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

oFirst, the NAS needs to be running a file server software that your computer can connect to. Since this is the primary reason for a NAS, that shouldn't be very hard :) Next, you connect to the NAS from your computer and tell your computer to mount the remote folder as a drive (on Windows, you open the File Explorer and choose Map Network Drive; on OSX you open Finder and choose Go > Connect to Server). Then you open Premiere and add your source files from the mounted file share.

ok that makes sense and when try to access it off sight it will maintain as a drive?

3 hours ago, dfsproductions said:

ok that makes sense and when try to access it off sight it will maintain as a drive?

As long as your computer can reach the file server yes