Where to get HD audio

Pretzel

So I was watching Linus's video on the Pono Player, and it got me thinking where I could get really high quality audio, (because I have really nice Bose speakers that I want to put to use), and I was wondering if there is a place I could download or stream high quality audio for free. (I'm using spotify now but I noticed it's a premium feature to get high quality audio and i'm not going to get premium.)

you can get an amp, or a sound card

CPU: me | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Asus Z170-A | 32GB Dominator Plats | 512gb SSD/4TB WD Black | 980Ti | BQ Silent Base 800 | EVGA 850w |

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101
BEST PC FOR THE PRICE:

$400 $500 $600 $700 $800 $900 $1000

If you want to Silence your PC/Room more, contact me.

Just now, i7-6700K said:

you can get an amp, or a sound card

No i'm saying where I can get the audio files that are high quality, my speakers have a built in amp.

If the amp is built-in, then I seriously doubt they're high quality enough to matter. Bose has name brand recognition, but they actually make some fairly low-end stuff too.

6 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

No i'm saying where I can get the audio files that are high quality, my speakers have a built in amp.

If the speakers have a built in amp, the speakers should be high quality enough, unless you're an audiophile

CPU: me | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Asus Z170-A | 32GB Dominator Plats | 512gb SSD/4TB WD Black | 980Ti | BQ Silent Base 800 | EVGA 850w |

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101
BEST PC FOR THE PRICE:

2 minutes ago, i7-6700K said:

If the speakers have a built in amp, the speakers should be high quality enough, unless you're an audiophile

You guys seem really apprehensive of high quality audio, is it really difficult to come by?

4 minutes ago, Lotus said:

If the amp is built-in, then I seriously doubt they're high quality enough to matter. Bose has name brand recognition, but they actually make some fairly low-end stuff too.

Cant agree with this statement anymore, Ive had so many arguments with people that think Bose are amazing, get tired of explaining that they are "lifestyle" and are made for looks > sound. A good set of B&W or Monitor Audio will destroy Bose lol

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, Pretzel said:

You guys seem really apprehensive of high quality audio, is it really difficult to come by?

I definitely do have the hardware for it, i'm just not familiar with the software end of hd audio.

.FLAC audio files @Pretzel

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I definitely do have the hardware for it, i'm just not familiar with the software end of hd audio.

Well Flac files are high quality audio files, but are not supported by all music.

BEST PC FOR THE PRICE:

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

Cant agree with this statement anymore, Ive had so many arguments with people that think Bose are amazing, get tired of explaining that they are "lifestyle" and are made for looks > sound. A good set of B&W or Monitor Audio will destroy Bose lol

I am aware that there are better things than Bose, but I feel the compulsive need to defend my product of purchase, so i know that it is of really good quality for Bose.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

.FLAC audio files @Pretzel

1 minute ago, i7-6700K said:

Well Flac files are high quality audio files, but are not supported by all music.

ok thank you guys a lot

1 minute ago, Pretzel said:

I am aware that there are better things than Bose, but I feel the compulsive need to defend my product of purchase, so i know that it is of really good quality for Bose.

Haha don't take it personally, I don't think theyre bad (I have Bose cans) theyre just nowhere near as good as a lot of people make out

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I'm sorry, you've actually been given a crappy answer.  'FLAC Files' is not the right answer.  FLAC is just a lossless audio codec bit it's quality depends on the input format, most FLAC files you find will be rips of CDs, they will be no better than CDs because they are CD rips.  Not that FLAC can't also handle high definition audio, but since it's JUST an encoding format, it isn't inherently high definition.  It'd be like saying the source for high resolution images is 'JPEG files'.  a JPEG could be 150x150 pixels and tiny or it could be 10000 x 10000 pixels and look amazing.  'JPEG' doesn't determine if it's high definition or not.

For a quality SOURCE of there are some online services including the store for the Pono but there's also SACDs or 'Super Audio CDs' which was the physical format for high definition audio home sales.

AshleyAshes has the right idea. FLAC doesnt automatically mean high quality.

Most of my music is either from BandCamp or HumbleBundle game soundtracks

as they let you download high bitrate files in FLAC or MP3 format. Otherwise i use Google Play Music and i can't tell the difference.

The bitrate matters to  a certain point but very quickly becomes impossible to distinguish after a while.

You should do something along the lines of an ABX test between different formats and find the sweet-spot. You can get some ludicrously large music files if you know where to look but for me it gets far to impractical to bother.

Probably relevant:

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

Cd's.

They are lossless.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

either CDs downloading flac files (which if you buy can be pretty pricey) or a streaming serivce like TIDAL (as much shit that i give them) steam lossess audio but thats like £20 a month also bose speakers are alright but definatly nowhere near the best somthing like the mackie cr4s are pretty top notch for the money (£97 on amazon) but then sound is a subjective thing. 

I lurk a lot

The short answer is: you're not going to be able to get Hi Res downloads for free in any meaningful quantity. Go onto places that sell them such as Hdtracks.com and check out their exorbitant pricing - people selling them seem to think it's big money, so they price it accordingly.

I've listened to some sample tracks that Richersounds had on demo units and I have to admit I couldn't tell the difference between the 24bit and the normal red book version. Though that may have something more to do with the original recordings as opposed to the bit rate and sampling frequency.

You could try downloading a couple of samples from linnrecords.com if you wanted to test for yourself.

3 hours ago, spwath said:

Cd's.

They are lossless.

The one caveat is that the quality of mastering that makes it onto CDs is often crap, at least with modern popular music. Dynamic range compression, amplification, and possibly other processing robs the recording of detail and soundstage.

This is probably responsible for people who compare CD to high bitrate (24/96) and claim a "huge" difference. Because there is a difference, but in the quality of the mastering, not the resolution of the file format itself.

HDTracks and other hi-res sites may be worth perusing in order to get good masters. The challenge is knowing if you're really getting something better than found on CDs, or if you're overpaying for upsampled garbage.

Responding to the OP: I do not believe you can stream lossless or high bitrate free from any service at this time. Spotify and similar services ought to be more than enough for "really nice" (cough) Bose speakers. Tidal exists if you want to get needlessly high resolution music streamed. As I explained above, it's the master that matters.

1 hour ago, SSL said:

The one caveat is that the quality of mastering that makes it onto CDs is often crap, at least with modern popular music. Dynamic range compression, amplification, and possibly other processing robs the recording of detail and soundstage.

This is probably responsible for people who compare CD to high bitrate (24/96) and claim a "huge" difference. Because there is a difference, but in the quality of the mastering, not the resolution of the file format itself.

HDTracks and other hi-res sites may be worth perusing in order to get good masters. The challenge is knowing if you're really getting something better than found on CDs, or if you're overpaying for upsampled garbage.

Responding to the OP: I do not believe you can stream lossless or high bitrate free from any service at this time. Spotify and similar services ought to be more than enough for "really nice" (cough) Bose speakers. Tidal exists if you want to get needlessly high resolution music streamed. As I explained above, it's the master that matters.

Ah, well all my music is from the 70's and 80's.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, spwath said:

Ah, well all my music is from the 70's and 80's.

Possibly affected as well, you might be surprised. And by modern, I mostly meant anything written in the last several decades, as opposed to classical shit.

45 minutes ago, SSL said:

Possibly affected as well, you might be surprised. And by modern, I mostly meant anything written in the last several decades, as opposed to classical shit.

Hmm. Well, i haven't heard any higher quality versions, and i don't want to spend money to do that, as it sounds fine.

I do listen to classical as Well burned from my families cds.

I'd say go for Analog audio, hi-fi, you know?

Start with a older receiver, a 70s Kenwood perhaps, or a newer Denon, Teac, Yamaha...

Get some speakers to match and voilà, it's one helluva setup

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

3 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

I'd say go for Analog audio, hi-fi, you know?

Start with a older receiver, a 70s Kenwood perhaps, or a newer Denon, Teac, Yamaha...

Get some speakers to match and voilà, it's one helluva setup

The masters on LPs are frequently better. None of that other nonsense is strictly necessary for "hi-fi". Analog formats are inherently less technically capable.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

The masters on LPs are frequently better. None of that other nonsense is strictly necessary for "hi-fi". Analog formats are inherently less technically capable.

Well, i can't complain of my system, but that's correct, analog is less capable...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX