Huge mess

My friend was having graphical errors in skyrim causeing ground smashes to make this weird green wave and his computer would crash, we have been wanting to just wipe his hard drive for a while so we decided to do it now, before i started though i booted up his PC and logged in and after 5 minutes the screen went black and i got no response from CTRL, ALT, DEL so i proceeded with the wipe after hours and hours it was at 99% and finished, Sadly the screen went black and i left it alone for a few hours. After no change i restarted his PC got the windows logo and a error message telling me the installation was interupted and i hit ok so it could continue. Well after 12-13 hours it was still the same black screen so i reset and changed it to fast boot, no change, turned it off, no change, turned on window 8 boot something, no change. So i go back to defaults and restarted his pc again Now im getting EFI Shell Version 2.31 [4.653] and the current version is 1.1.2 along with some pci roots and hard disk stuff, (type out what it saids exactly if needed) im scared to do anything else can someone help me please

It doesn't seem like there's something wrong with the hard drive or Windows, but rather a CPU or GPU problem.

Does the system restart at all at random points? Or is it literally just a blank screen for hours with the system still on?

If so, then it's the graphics card. Unplug the card and plug your monitor into the motherboard output and see if it works.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Just now, Blucyrik said:

It doesn't seem like there's something wrong with the hard drive or Windows, but rather a CPU or GPU problem.

Does the system restart at all at random points? Or is it literally just a blank screen for hours with the system still on?

If so, then it's the graphics card. Unplug the card and plug your monitor into the motherboard output and see if it works.

The system does not restart randomly it just sits there for hours on end, Could it be the GPU i get a display for text and stuff along with the motherboard bios, the motherboard does not have onboard video, I have an old nvidia 410 i could put it just to test would that work?

Yeah I would just try the Nvidia 410 and see if it works.

The reason I say it's the GPU is because of the weird "green wave" you saw in Skyrim, which is usually what happens when a GPU starts to artifact, which, when not overclocked, means it's reaching the end of it's life

Just now, Blucyrik said:

Yeah I would just try the Nvidia 410 and see if it works.

The reason I say it's the GPU is because of the weird "green wave" you saw in Skyrim, which is usually what happens when a GPU starts to artifact, which, when not overclocked, means it's reaching the end of it's life

Ok i will restart and try with the other card, How could it be CPU? if that does not work?

If the system just restarts randomly then it would most likely be a CPU problem, especially if you get the Blue Screen of Death multiple times :P but since you don't I wouldn't worry about the CPU, especially if you can get into the BIOS.

If the Nvidia 410 doesn't work I quite honestly don't know what it could be, maybe the motherboard for some odd reason? Who knows :)

I swear sometimes computers run on magic :P

Have you tried the HDMI or VGA connection on the MOBO? because if you think its the GPU try the onbord graphics see if that does anything if the MOBO doesn't have the connections try another GPU see if that does anything.

1 minute ago, Blucyrik said:

If the system just restarts randomly then it would most likely be a CPU problem, especially if you get the Blue Screen of Death multiple times :P but since you don't I wouldn't worry about the CPU, especially if you can get into the BIOS.

If the Nvidia 410 doesn't work I quite honestly don't know what it could be, maybe the motherboard for some odd reason? Who knows :)

I swear sometimes computers run on magic :P

I wish i could figure out what it could be. if its the motherboard i have a Asus ROG crosshair iv with a amd phenom 1055t black edition could that work?

So tried the new CPU and motherboard and got the "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error" message. I hit ok and the system restarted and got the error on a constant loop. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Ihavetwoaccountneitherwork said:

no luck so far

I apoliogise for not replying sooner... I do have a life and responsabilities you know...

Anyway the only other thing I can think of would be some kind of RAM problem... try switching around RAM sticks in different slots and such. If this doesn't work then I have honestly no idea what's going on.

JayzTwoCents did a really great video on troubleshooting, maybe this will help: