Low FPS on The Witcher 3, GTX 980 TI

Go to solution Solved by TuxedoKill,

I have now resolved the issue.

I want to thank all of you for your contribution :)

And a special thnaks to CapricaBuccaneers :D

The problem was that I had installed my GPU in PCI slot 2 instead of 1. I dont have room around the first slot because of my Noctua CPU cooler, so i installed it in PCI slot 3. My framerate have doubled although I might miss a FPS or two.

I noticed the issue while inspecting my BIOS. I have a x99-pro motherboard.

Here are my new benchamark results:

Firestrike score 16198

Heaven:
Score
Min FPS:    
Max FPS:    

Ultra og Extreme 1920x1080 MXAAx8

Hi

I've just started up The Witcher 3 and expirience very diffrent fps than what all the youtube bechmarkers get.:|

My specs:
i7-5820 K
16GB ram
GTX 980 TI (MSI gaming 6GB)
Windows 10

(I've uploaded a picture of temps and usage)

Driver 364.51 (I updated today 27.03.16)
I have V-sync off
I have set Unlimited FPS

My Results:
Geforce Expirience optimised: 25-29 FPS
All Settings on Ultra, 1080p, Hairworks off: 20-35 FPS
All setings on Low, 1080p: 70-90 FPS
All settings on Ultra, 4K: 20-25 FPS

Where in the game:
At the beginning. (not really spoiler but) 

Spoiler

Geralt and Vesemir just killed some necropaghes around their campfire and Vesimir wnat me to mount the horse.

Anyone expirienced similar problems? What might help?
Ive been looking forward to playing this game.

Thanks for any replies :)

IMG_2857.JPG

What are the 3 percentages at the top?  58% I assume is the GPU load, 99% fan speed? And 52% Memory clock or something?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

10 hours ago, Samfisher said:

What are the 3 percentages at the top?  58% I assume is the GPU load, 99% fan speed? And 52% Memory clock or something?

Let me update
GPU temp 70C. usage 99%

CPU temp 50C, usage about 20%
RAM about 5000MB

You probably have a driver issue - try a clean install with DDU or failing that use the option in NVidia's installer for a Custom installation, then tick the check box for a clean install under the list of modules that will be installed.

FYI I get over 60FPS with near max settings at 2560x1440, although it's worth noting my clockspeeds are different from yours.

You might have to try different settings for TW3's post processing options. Some of the biggest culprits tend to be Hairworks (which you already mentioned), high AA, and things like grass density and foliage visibility range.

Although again, it's worth mentioning again that 25FPS with a modern Intel CPU and a custom aircooled 980Ti is well below what I'd expect at 1080P.

I had around 60 fps in 1440p ultra with tweaked ini for more graphics before patch 1.10. After the patch the frames went down to 25-35. Couldt get it run like before again. Since i had my Playthrough finished, i deleted it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

9 hours ago, CapricaBuccaneers said:

You probably have a driver issue - try a clean install with DDU or failing that use the option in NVidia's installer for a Custom installation, then tick the check box for a clean install under the list of modules that will be installed.

I tried now. Sadly no change in fps.

I also tried some older drivers. but none of them did any good. Downloaded the new driver version 364.72 (28.03.16), still no improvement.

Is it just in The Witcher 3 you're getting these problems?

Do you have any other installed games you can test it out with?  It can be a pain to install games just to benchmark, which is why I ask.

9 hours ago, CapricaBuccaneers said:

Is it just in The Witcher 3 you're getting these problems?

Do you have any other installed games you can test it out with?  It can be a pain to install games just to benchmark, which is why I ask.

Fallout 4 is smooth on ultra.
Had trouble with ubersampling Witcher 2 in 1440p though. didnt give it much of a thought, since ive heard its a blackhole for framerates.
Borderlands the pre-sequel seemd fine in 1440p and mostly max settings.

I built my PC this winter and havnt gotten to try a lot of games on it yet. And now I'm worried i could've gotten even better FPS out of the few games i've tried on it.

I will try 3Dmark and Heaven and post my results here when I get back home tomorrow.

IHere are my benchmarking results:
Firestrike
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11446737

Heaven
FPS:     74.0
Score: 1864
Min FPS: 16.2
Max FPS:    138.1

Render:    Direct3D11
Mode:    1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset    Custom
Quality    Ultra
Tessellation:    Extreme

HW monitor says my max clockspeed is about 590.
MSI gaming app and Afterbruner says about 1350 though.

Also tried removing and reinserting the card. No difference.

Witcher 3 1920x1080 Ultra Hairworks on MSAAx8.png

Yeah HWMonitor shows the wrong clockspeed on my GPU also (it's always in the 405-595Mhz range according to it) - GPU-Z sensor, GPU Tweak and AfterBurner show the correct reading, it's an odd one. It does show the correct fan speeds and temperatures though, shrug on that one.

Not sure on the firestrike - I don't use it, but the Heaven score should be at least in the 2100-2200 range? 

Its possible that your card has an issue with the BIOS? I recall that the early batches had a lower power limit amongst the bios problems. Have you checked which MSI bios yours is running?

I have now resolved the issue.

I want to thank all of you for your contribution :)

And a special thnaks to CapricaBuccaneers :D

The problem was that I had installed my GPU in PCI slot 2 instead of 1. I dont have room around the first slot because of my Noctua CPU cooler, so i installed it in PCI slot 3. My framerate have doubled although I might miss a FPS or two.

I noticed the issue while inspecting my BIOS. I have a x99-pro motherboard.

Here are my new benchamark results:

Firestrike score 16198

Heaven:
Score
Min FPS:    
Max FPS:    

Ultra og Extreme 1920x1080 MXAAx8