What could such high temps?

I have recently built me a htpc at idle tems are normally around 36 But, when I try to do cpu intensive things which maxes out my cpu the temps reach up to 80. Is this safe and what would be the best bet to lower my temps? 

I'm currently running a stock clocked intel I3 with the stock cooler. The pc sits in my entertainment center which probably is not the best for air flow but I wouldn't think my temps should be that high. 

Here is my part list - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kyBY4D

2 minutes ago, striker477 said:

I have recently built me a htpc at idle tems are normally around 36 But, when I try to do cpu intensive things which maxes out my cpu the temps reach up to 80. Is this safe and what would be the best bet to lower my temps? 

I'm currently running a stock clocked intel I3 with the stock cooler. The pc sits in my entertainment center which probably is not the best for air flow but I wouldn't think my temps should be that high. 

80c is fine, but you could get a noctua NH-L12

Is it inside a cabinet for the entertainment center, that case has pretty good airflow with the two large 120mm side openings, so it shouldn't get that hot. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Is it inside a cabinet for the entertainment center, that case has pretty good airflow with the two large 120mm side openings, so it shouldn't get that hot. 

It is located under my tv so yeah It is in a cabinet but the front is open, however there is about a inch of room on both sides so it is a fairly tight fit. 

I didn't know if the temps was just due to the environment. Or if sticking in a few more fans into the 120mm slots or looking  at a aftermarket cooler would help lower temps and hopefully give me a quieter experience. 

5 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

80c is fine, but you could get a noctua NH-L12

I've never personally owned a noctua cooler, I've heard great things about there products and that style looks like it would be a good choice but, seems kinda pricey to spend $60 on a cooler that is being used on such a budget based application. 

7 minutes ago, striker477 said:

It is located under my tv so yeah It is in a cabinet but the front is open, however there is about a inch of room on both sides so it is a fairly tight fit. 

I didn't know if the temps was just due to the environment. Or if sticking in a few more fans into the 120mm slots or looking  at a aftermarket cooler would help lower temps and hopefully give me a quieter experience. 

Try just moving the case out of the cabinet on the floor and see if it improve temps in terms of airflow, but if it makes little to no difference it could be a bad mount on the cooler. If there are no fans on the side 120mm sections I would probbaly add them in as intakes. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Try just moving the case out of the cabinet on the floor and see if it improve temps in terms of airflow, but if it makes little to no difference it could be a bad mount on the cooler. If there are no fans on the side 120mm sections I would probbaly add them in as intakes. 

Ok, thanks for the help I will give that a shot and report back. What do you mean bad mount on the cooler? The case came with 1 120mm fan pre-installed. But, If i remember correctly there was room to mount up to 4 fans. 

I believe 80°C is completely safe, though I can understand if this isn't within your comfort zone.

3 minutes ago, striker477 said:

Ok, thanks for the help I will give that a shot and report back. What do you mean bad mount on the cooler? The case came with 1 120mm fan pre-installed. But, If i remember correctly there was room to mount up to 4 fans. 

You can try remounting the cooler to see if it improves temps afterwards since it it potentially not be even or apply enough pressure onto the CPU. 

I just went into the bios and upped the speed of the case fan up from standard to performance and it dropped temps down to around 73. Moving the case out of the entertainment center appears to have made a slight impact bringing temps to around 70. 80 is a little beyond my comfort zone even though i heard the skylake chips can withstand up to around 100.  I mounted the cooler using the pre-applied thermal paste and just pushed until it clicked and I always try to do opposite corners to try to balance pressure. 

13 minutes ago, Tosa said:

I believe 80°C is completely safe, though I can understand if this isn't within your comfort zone.

32 minutes ago, W-L said:

You can try remounting the cooler to see if it improves temps afterwards since it it potentially not be even or apply enough pressure onto the CPU. 

Thanks for the help, would installing a budget end aftermarket cpu cooler or a few more case fans help drop the temps enough to be worth the investment? 

1 minute ago, striker477 said:

Thanks for the help, would installing a budget end aftermarket cpu cooler or a few more case fans help drop the temps enough to be worth the investment? 

If you want to lower the temps and noise of say the stock cooler it wouldn't be a bad option to get an aftermarker cooler like the Noctua one recommended.

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

If you want to lower the temps and noise of say the stock cooler it wouldn't be a bad option to get an aftermarker cooler like the Noctua one recommended.

The Noctua one looks very nice but I would like to stay on the budget side. I don't even have that nice of a cooler on my gaming rig lol.

The Noctua one looks very nice but I would like to stay on the budget side. I don't even have that nice of a cooler on my gaming rig lol.

Raijintek makes a somewhat similar one but at a lower pricepoint, if you want you could potentially fit in a thin 120mm cooler like the H55 from Corsair.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28G9982

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Raijintek makes a somewhat similar one but at a lower pricepoint, if you want you could potentially fit in a thin 120mm cooler like the H55 from Corsair.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28G9982

Thanks, I had never heard of Raijintek but will definitely be looking into a cooler upgrade. thanks for the help.