Weird wi-fi channel appeared.

samcool55
Go to solution Solved by SparkyRain,

TB Proprietary Channel. Gx" Is a signal used by turtle beach wireless headphones..

Samcool55 here

So, i was checking my wifi connections because well, that's what i do sometimes, check if the channels are still good and not messing with other routers.

Now, this time a wifi network with the name "TB Proprietary Channel. Gx" appeared, with worryingly good connection.

My 2 routers are 1 meter from my receiver and 1 floor/roof between it. And both get 4 bars out of 5.

The wierd network, gets flippin 5 bars constantly. So it must be a very strong router, or it has to be just behind the wall, like 20-30cm away (walls are from concrete and metal so very wifi unfriendly).

Now, i can't find which devices create such network, and the fact it's a "proprietary channel" sounds BS, it's at channel 11, the channel 1 of my router uses for a couple of months now.

Can anyone maybe explain what device sends out such network by default, why it has such a weird name and why the connection is so damn solid?

It's password protected btw, so i can't actually connect to it... It uses WPA2-PSK.

edit: i don't want to hack it or anything, i just want to know what it actually is.

edit 2: i did some more investigation and it turns out it also sends out a 5Ghz signal that constantly hops around.

Also it's from "Voyetra Turtle Beach" which makes it even weirder...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

TB Proprietary Channel. Gx" Is a signal used by turtle beach wireless headphones..

1 minute ago, SparkyRain said:

Any idea why it's so strong? It makes a lot of wifi noise for headphones...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Any idea why it's so strong? It makes a lot of wifi noise for headphones...

It's the reciever not the headphones itself. 

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Samcool55 here

So, i was checking my wifi connections because well, that's what i do sometimes, check if the channels are still good and not messing with other routers.

Now, this time a wifi network with the name "TB Proprietary Channel. Gx" appeared, with worryingly good connection.

My 2 routers are 1 meter from my receiver and 1 floor/roof between it. And both get 4 bars out of 5.

The wierd network, gets flippin 5 bars constantly. So it must be a very strong router, or it has to be just behind the wall, like 20-30cm away (walls are from concrete and metal so very wifi unfriendly).

Now, i can't find which devices create such network, and the fact it's a "proprietary channel" sounds BS, it's at channel 11, the channel 1 of my router uses for a couple of months now.

Can anyone maybe explain what device sends out such network by default, why it has such a weird name and why the connection is so damn solid?

It's password protected btw, so i can't actually connect to it... It uses WPA2-PSK.

edit: i don't want to hack it or anything, i just want to know what it actually is.

Have you tried checking Wifi Analyzer? Its an android app only but it rocks. It will show you all of the wifi channels in the area, the strengths of each one, etc. For me sometimes random wifi channels appear and dissolve into nothingness never to be seen again, lost in the space and time of binary......

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120829091519AAcNG8b

This is interesting as well.... Wireless turtle beach headset. Do you have one of those? 

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

Darn it I was late.

~               

Just now, MajorGoob said:

Have you tried checking Wifi Analyzer? Its an android app only but it rocks. It will show you all of the wifi channels in the area, the strengths of each one, etc. For me sometimes random wifi channels appear and dissolve into nothingness never to be seen again, lost in the space and time of binary......

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120829091519AAcNG8b

This is interesting as well.... Wireless turtle beach headset. Do you have one of those? 

Nope, i don't have that, i don't have anything from turtle beach.

I have wifi-analyzer fired up atm, that's how i found out it was on channel 11 :P

But it is a mystery how it's able to send such a strong signal to my computer, especially if you compare it to my other routers that are right below me and have a weaker signal...

13 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Nope, i don't have that, i don't have anything from turtle beach.

I have wifi-analyzer fired up atm, that's how i found out it was on channel 11 :P

But it is a mystery how it's able to send such a strong signal to my computer, especially if you compare it to my other routers that are right below me and have a weaker signal...

Hmmm.... You live in a freestanding house right? Not like an apartment or a Townhouse? (Row house depending on who you ask) Also, is it a 5ghz connection? 

~               

Is this a flat you're in? Here's my wifi and in fact I know the second one is the dude right under me. Full bars thru the floor.

56f555727a255_Screenshot(1).png.cea4c0d1

1 minute ago, SparkyRain said:

Is this a flat you're in? Here's my wifi and in fact I know the second one is the dude right under me. Full bars thru the floor.

-snip-

Every wireless connection here goes through at least 1 wall. But the weird thing is that i have 2 routers, 50-ish cm from my receiver, (including the wall and it's thickness) and both routers give me a worse signal compared to the weird one, that has to be at least 30cm away and has to also pass a wall.

It's just so weird that a silly headphone thing beats 2 routers range wise...

2 minutes ago, MajorGoob said:

Hmmm.... You live in a freestanding house right? Not like an apartment or a Townhouse? (Row house depending on who you ask) Also, is it a 5ghz connection? 

It's a row house, that's how we call it here :P

And it's both 5Ghz and 2.4GHz. But the 5Ghz one is constantly changing channel...

I am right against the wall that i share with the neighbour. If i poke a hole in it i would be in his bedroom probably :D 

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Every wireless connection here goes through at least 1 wall. But the weird thing is that i have 2 routers, 50-ish cm from my receiver, (including the wall and it's thickness) and both routers give me a worse signal compared to the weird one, that has to be at least 30cm away and has to also pass a wall.

It's just so weird that a silly headphone thing beats 2 routers range wise...

It's a row house, that's how we call it here :P

And it's both 5Ghz and 2.4GHz. But the 5Ghz one is constantly changing channel...

I am right against the wall that i share with the neighbour. If i poke a hole in it i would be in his bedroom probably :D 

Ask your neighbor if he has headphones then.

~               

Just now, MajorGoob said:

Ask your neighbor if he has headphones then.

I'll do that when it's a bit calmer there, lately the noises that came from them wasn't exacly something you want to hear and i don't think they'll like it if i interrupt them by asking about their wifi headphones...

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I'll do that when it's a bit calmer there, lately the noises that came from them wasn't exacly something you want to hear and i don't think they'll like it if i interrupt them by asking about their wifi headphones...

Valids a headphone purchase. Uh but I'm out of theories for this. Technical this shouldn't work. My last memories with wireless things are that they crap out moving 2 meters from the source. This sourcery shouldn't work :|

34 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

Valids a headphone purchase. Uh but I'm out of theories for this. Technical this shouldn't work. My last memories with wireless things are that they crap out moving 2 meters from the source. This sourcery shouldn't work :|

Our wifi here stinks. Every once and a while the router decides to quit and throw a monkey wrench in everything. It will even make the modem freeze..... I dont know what it does but I think it just barfs data packets everywhere when this happens... Cause everything gets messed up.

~               

11 hours ago, MajorGoob said:

Our wifi here stinks. Every once and a while the router decides to quit and throw a monkey wrench in everything. It will even make the modem freeze..... I dont know what it does but I think it just barfs data packets everywhere when this happens... Cause everything gets messed up.

Since KB3140768 my wifi keeps dying randomly. For the worst part it only does it on youtube playback. Ms codemonkey have added some bogus again. For what it does it loses ipv4 for a microtick and that's it. Fix is to reload the page. Utterly annoyed by this. Already patched the router and I can't be bothered to clean after their mess on updates everytime. Nothing on chromium os, works and works. Except flash, no kinky stuff to watch as these sites still uses it :(