So I might actually subscribe and support Vessel, even though it sucks...

Misanthrope

And here is why: I think youtube seriously needs to change or die, possibly both (die a little, become much less relevant and then change). Basically, they're going too fucking far with their hands off approach is getting ridiculous: virtually every mayor channel I subscribe or frequent (usually not tech channels but maybe not so much so anymore, see Kyle's awesome sauce network) are currently or have recently fought a false DMCA claim or community strike. It is seriously fucking infuriating that it's getting just abused everywhere and youtube entrenches in their stupid fucking view of "just let the shit drop where it may" People can very easily take down any youtube channel they don't like with flagging and false DMCA claims and strikes. 

And from most frustrated creators, all I hear is "we do this for a leaving" and "there is no alternative" So from a purely ideological stand point, we should be supporting Vessel: youtube needs to know that this shit is not ok, they need to fucking invest in actual human beings reviewing this grievances and be prepared to get involved in some legal cases as well. Otherwise how can we continue to use a platform that basically terrorizes the very people that put fucking money on their pockets with their content?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't do that, at least not for that reason.

Vessel is NOT the platform that's gonna take the place of YouTube.

1 minute ago, as96 said:

Don't do that, at least not for that reason.

Vessel is NOT the platform that's gonna take the place of YouTube.

Suggest alternatives then. Bear in mind that is not only about what's best for the users but also what's more lucrative for content creators.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Suggest alternatives then. Bear in mind that is not only about what's best for the users but also what's more lucrative for content creators.

As of now there isn't an actual alternative.

Only content creators can make that choice, there are lots of platforms like Dailymotion that attempted to but never got picked up.

But that's just how I see it, if you want to pay Vessel go ahead it's not my money.

1 minute ago, as96 said:

As of now there isn't an actual alternative.

Only content creators can make that choice, there are lots of platforms like Dailymotion that attempted to but never got picked up.

But that's just how I see it, if you want to pay Vessel go ahead it's not my money.

Precisely my point: there needs to be one, even if its bad for the user. I remember the early days of youtube and it used to have tons of problems with quality and playback too back in the day. 

Otherwise, if we just do nothing and let things run their course, youtube will be turned into a worst version of cable tv channels and networks but instead of getting high production values with annoying cunts, you get fucking pewdiepie. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Precisely my point: there needs to be one, even if its bad for the user. I remember the early days of youtube and it used to have tons of problems with quality and playback too back in the day. 

There's an LTT channel on Dailymotion, if you want to leave YouTube you could use that at least you are not wasting money.

http://www.dailymotion.com/LinusTechTips

No platform is going to replace YouTube for a VERY long time... trust me I hate to see all the bullshit claims going around (I've been affected by it myself) but YouTube is still going to be around no matter what.

This video has a really good explaination:

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

The number one reason is a defeatist attitude saying "it wont be replaced for a long time, might as well accept all their fucking bullshit" instead of saying "enough is enough, some large channel do not need youtube"

-------

Current Rig

-------

The only problem I have with Vessel is that their payment service is down, for me at least. It's hard to subscribe if they won't take my money. :(

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

the thing with vessel is that they don´t support 4k at the moment, what for me is a must on an paid service