Troubleshoot: Youtube kills device-spedific internet connection

Hi @ all :). For the last few month the following problem has been the source of my daily dose of annoyance when I visit my parents over a holiday and I somewhat ran out of ideas for possible causes, so any insight is appreciated :).

Following scenario:

My laptop is connected to my parents network, usually via wireless LAN (Intel Dual band AC 7260). It works fine during regular use (browsing news, forums, facebook, research etc.)

However, if I put higher strain on the connection by streaming video via Youtube (and only Youtube) I get a limited connection within a minute or so (and kicked out of the video after the buffered frames played). The network connection states "Connected, no internet" and gets that lovely little triangular exclamation mark....  I can reach / ping the router just fine, however am no longer able to access the internet.

Yet, if I put prolonged strain on the connection streaming movies via Amazon Prime, donwloading files or watching a video on vessel, everything works just fine - no restriction.

Any other device on the network (e.g. my smartphone) works with no issues and internet access is only restricted on that laptop, at the same time, any other computer works just fine.

The network itself has no specific configuration (no, there is no child safety enabled for my IP...9_9).

So: network connection get hickups only on one device in a very specific use case and its only the connection of that single device that breaks, not the whole network, which could suggest that the problem is with the device.

However, the only way I've found to restore a "full" connection for said laptop (LAN + WAN access) is to restart the router. Releasing / renewing the IP does not help, nor restarting the machine or the WiFi adapter, might imply its something in the network itself.

If anybody has any hints or ideas what could cause something like that, feel free to share your ideas, because by now I really want to get to the bottom of this^^

Best regards

Chris

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

That is a very interesting problem you have there..

I assume you have found the latest drivers for your NIC on intels website and installed those?

Have you tested with another browser? (i know it does not seems like that could be the solution, but it is worth a try just to be sure)

Are you using a router you bought yourself or is it the CPE delivered by Comcast you are using (and which model in either case)?

4 hours ago, InVis said:

That is a very interesting problem you have there..

I assume you have found the latest drivers for your NIC on intels website and installed those?

Have you tested with another browser? (i know it does not seems like that could be the solution, but it is worth a try just to be sure)

Are you using a router you bought yourself or is it the CPE delivered by Comcast you are using (and which model in either case)?

Yep, drivers are up to date.

Since it only occured with one specific website, I got the same idea yesterday evening. As of now, I only used chrome - have done some testing with Firefox and Vivaldi (running on the Chromium derivate Blink), and so far, both seem seem to work just fine.

As I am non-american, my ISP is not Comcast but the german Unity Media. The router is our own, but connected to a standalone modem supplied by the ISP.

Even though using a different browser may have fixed the problem, I am still curious how a specific browser could trigger that behavior^^. Some security routine within the network? 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

45 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

Yep, drivers are up to date.

Since it only occured with one specific website, I got the same idea yesterday evening. As of now, I only used chrome - have done some testing with Firefox and Vivaldi (running on the Chromium derivate Blink), and so far, both seem seem to work just fine.

As I am non-american, my ISP is not Comcast but the german Unity Media. The router is our own, but connected to a standalone modem supplied by the ISP.

Even though using a different browser may have fixed the problem, I am still curious how a specific browser could trigger that behavior^^. Some security routine within the network? 

Great

So the problem is gone for now?

Oh that is great to hear :D I'm from Denmark, peoples location on the forum is often fake, so did not think much about it - but good to hear that you are not using an American ISP :P

Which technology are you on? cable, fiber, dsl, wimaxx, LTE or something else?

It is hard to say, but there might be happening something in the application layer, might be an injection, might be a http proxy, might be hola, might be an error in the code of the browser...

I trust that you have tried to delete all cookies on the faulty browser and reinstall it maybe?

On 25.3.2016 at 2:19 PM, InVis said:

Great

So the problem is gone for now?

Oh that is great to hear :D I'm from Denmark, peoples location on the forum is often fake, so did not think much about it - but good to hear that you are not using an American ISP :P

Which technology are you on? cable, fiber, dsl, wimaxx, LTE or something else?

It is hard to say, but there might be happening something in the application layer, might be an injection, might be a http proxy, might be hola, might be an error in the code of the browser...

I trust that you have tried to delete all cookies on the faulty browser and reinstall it maybe?

Yeah, well, I have noe experience with american ISPs, but the German ones aren't top of the line either^^ Its cable. I (probably) got it to work in chrome as well by reinstalling it a second time and this time skimming through all plugins / extensions and diabling most of them. Haven't done any in-depth testing, since I have stuff to do and don't want towalk up to and restart the router every other minute ^^