Does the FX series does as well as a Extreme edition?

8 core vs 8 core.

Well a 6700K is more powerful than a 9590 so I'm pretty sure a 5960X would make it look like a complete joke

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Are we talking about a FX-8320/8350/9590 vs a i7 5960X?

Come on, the Extreme edition will easily beat out the FX lineup. Number of cores isn't everything.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Are we talking about a FX-8320/8350/9590 vs a i7 5960X?

Come on, the Extreme edition will easily beat out the FX lineup. Number of cores isn't everything.

but does perform?

Core count doesn't mean it is better. So in this case the Extreme edition completely destroy the AMD FX 9590. It is also a 4 year old chip so I wouldn't recommend getting it and instead get a 6600k or something similar.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Completely different architectures, the Intel Extreme editions outperform AMD's 8-core FXs in every way... Except maybe in power comsumption, not looked at it.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Just now, josephaltareb said:

but does perform?

Because of the much more powerful individual cores (I don't know the exact performance difference), the 5960X will easily beat out any offering from AMD both in gaming and workstation uses.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Because of the much more powerful individual cores (I don't know the exact performance difference), the 5960X will easily beat out any offering from AMD both in gaming and workstation uses.

1 minute ago, Xaring said:

Completely different architectures, the Intel Extreme editions outperform AMD's 8-core FXs in every way... Except maybe in power comsumption, not looked at it.

Is price per performance good.

I a was sure it was bad at the start i was just generally curious.

Ye, price to performance is better in the FX than the Extreme series, grab some benchmarks and divide the score by the price. id say, for example, the FX series is 1/2 the performance of the iExt, but the iExt cost 3 times as much.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

6 hours ago, Xaring said:

Ye, price to performance is better in the FX than the Extreme series, grab some benchmarks and divide the score by the price. id say, for example, the FX series is 1/2 the performance of the iExt, but the iExt cost 3 times as much.

That's how almost all things work.

You want the bleeding edge of performance - you're going to pay for it. The extra 10 - 20% costs the most. 

Only very seldom does a product come out that can compete with the upper echelon for a much more competitive price (Nissan GT-R, for example, in the car world). But that usually only happens when there are more than two suppliers. 

7 hours ago, josephaltareb said:

8 core vs 8 core.

google

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR