Will a usb 3G stick give better coverage then a phone?

EIijah

Just wondering if those little usb 3G modems you can get give better reception then mobile phones, as I can only get pretty bad service at my place and I'm wondering if one of these would do any better 

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

In my experience they perform about the same on 3g as long as you have a half decent phone

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

not the exact same, but I had a verizon wireless mobile hotspot for like 3 years, my phone did just as well as the mobile hotspot, and now I have no use for the mobile hotspot for the 3 times a year I need it, and so I got rid of it, especially now that my phone plan lets me tether to my phone with my plan anyway. if you have shoddy service, my honest opinion would be to look for a different carrier and see if they have better service in your area, but before switching, find someone who has that carrier and have them come out to your house to make sure you actually have decent service.

6 minutes ago, Jordaneer said:

not the exact same, but I had a verizon wireless mobile hotspot for like 3 years, my phone did just as well as the mobile hotspot, and now I have no use for the mobile hotspot for the 3 times a year I need it, and so I got rid of it, especially now that my phone plan lets me tether to my phone with my plan anyway. if you have shoddy service, my honest opinion would be to look for a different carrier and see if they have better service in your area, but before switching, find someone who has that carrier and have them come out to your house to make sure you actually have decent service.

No one really has anything better, in my area it's luck, so I need my phone in an exact spot to get 3G, some peoples houses get it better then others :P

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

On 3/24/2016 at 8:52 PM, EIijah said:

No one really has anything better, in my area it's luck, so I need my phone in an exact spot to get 3G, some peoples houses get it better then others :P

Ever thought about getting a signal booster or repeater?

They are expensive because you get what you pay for when it comes to equipment like this: https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/medium-sized-home-solution-kits/

I recently put in the Connect 4G at my mother-in-laws, it worked wonders, getting up to 15mbps download now where before you could barely hold a call.

I haven't compared in a long while, but back in the day my Droid X2 outperformed the Verizon MiFi Jetpack we had...

1 hour ago, Scheer said:

They are expensive because you get what you pay for when it comes to equipment like this: https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/medium-sized-home-solution-kits/

I recently put in the Connect 4G at my mother-in-laws, it worked wonders, getting up to 15mbps download now where before you could barely hold a call.

I haven't compared in a long while, but back in the day my Droid X2 outperformed the Verizon MiFi Jetpack we had...

Sadly as a poor student spending this much for the 500MB of data I could afford a month wouldn't be worth it :/ but thanks for the reply :)