Triple SLI Titans and 5960K Advice

Hey there,

So my friend and I are planning a build and need some advice on what to use for the water cooling.

Here's the general idea of the components:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2qwJvK

This is not for sure but we'll probably change the motherboard and storage systems.

Anyways, can we have some advice for a full water cooling loop that does the processor and the three titans. It will be in a 900D so I'm thinking there will be enough space for a few radiators.

So yeah, we have no clue what componets to use and really need some advice for radiators, pump, tank, tubing, fittings and the water blocks. Just everything in general.

Any advice? 

2 minutes ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Hey there,

So my friend and I are planning a build and need some advice on what to use for the water cooling.

This is not for sure but we'll probably change the motherboard and storage systems.

Anyways, can we have some advice for a full water cooling loop that does the processor and the three titans. It will be in a 900D so I'm thinking there will be enough space for a few radiators.

So yeah, we have no clue what componets to use and really need some advice for radiators, pump, tank, tubing, fittings and the water blocks. Just everything in general.

Any advice? 

I can't answer your question, but why three Titans? You could spend half as much and only get a 5-10% performance drop. Unless you need 12GB of VRAM.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

I can't answer your question, but why three Titans? You could spend half as much and only get a 5-10% performance drop. Unless you need 12GB of VRAM.

Plus, you can get Titan waterblocks for 980 Ti's, overclock them, and pretend they're better Titans.

2 minutes ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Hey there,

Any advice? 

Is there any specific reason he is going with the Titan X's?  Is he doing 3D rendering or CAD or other GPU intensive things?  In gaming the 2 cards are within 1-2 FPS of each other.  Unless he needs the extra compute power there is no reason to go with the Titan X's over the 980Ti and even then it isn't really worth it for the extra compute power but I guess at 3x the cards it might add up.

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

Also you wouldn't be able to fit triple SLI and that PCIe SSD on that mobo

Edit:  Here is a build that can both fit all of the PCIe cards and would be a little better in terms of cost without sacrificing too much in performance.  I will put together a basic build for the loop in a bit, but he will be on his own for fittings because that depends on how complicated he wants to go.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vZZ7cf

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

24 minutes ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Hey there,

Any advice? 

About storage systems, since you didn't explain how are you changing them: why 512gb m.2 and 1.2TB with pcie drive? I get the first one, but the second one is a huge waste of money. Whatever you're doing, you don't need that much ssd storage at once, you don't get any benefit from it, other than moving some files to hdd or external storage less often. Even a nas via 10 or even 1gbit connection should work fine for whatever you'll be doing with this about of files.

Also what's the point of 3 titans, othen than e-peen?

The 900D will have more than enough space for rads, check out JayzTwoCents' Skunkworks build, he's using the same case (Edit: not anymore, he's now using the CaseLabs Magnum SMA8). 

If you have no clue about water cooling, check out EKWB's kit and gpu blocks, they have everything you need for your loop. When picking a kit you also have a calculator of how much gpu blocks you should be running with selected kit. 

31 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

Edit:  Here is a build that can both fit all of the PCIe cards and would be a little better in terms of cost without sacrificing too much in performance.  I will put together a basic build for the loop in a bit, but he will be on his own for fittings because that depends on how complicated he wants to go.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vZZ7cf

Here is a good water loop for that build from EKWB

Untitled.png.911e3bbb5a888104a05c1b0e807

29 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Well he has 6 4k monitors so he wants plenty of graphics power. He knows it's overkill. 

1 minute ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Well he has 6 4k monitors so he wants plenty of graphics power. He knows it's overkill. 

Im going to need a picture of that ;)

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

50 minutes ago, HeroXLazer said:

Go to ek's shop and they have everything

Ok, thanks. 

47 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

Is there any specific reason he is going with the Titan X's?  Is he doing 3D rendering or CAD or other GPU intensive things?  In gaming the 2 cards are within 1-2 FPS of each other.  Unless he needs the extra compute power there is no reason to go with the Titan X's over the 980Ti and even then it isn't really worth it for the extra compute power but I guess at 3x the cards it might add up.

He's doing a lot of 4k editing and using 6 4k monitors he already has from his past PC. 

46 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

Ok, thanks. And we are considering dropping down to 2 Titans instead as they're also pretty expensive. 

He know's its overkill and thats how he wants/likes it. 

36 minutes ago, maremp said:

About storage systems, since you didn't explain how are you changing them: why 512gb m.2 and 1.2TB with pcie drive? I get the first one, but the second one is a huge waste of money. Whatever you're doing, you don't need that much ssd storage at once, you don't get any benefit from it, other than moving some files to hdd or external storage less often. Even a nas via 10 or even 1gbit connection should work fine for whatever you'll be doing with this about of files.

Also what's the point of 3 titans, othen than e-peen?

The 900D will have more than enough space for rads, check out JayzTwoCents' Skunkworks build, he's using the same case (Edit: not anymore, he's now using the CaseLabs Magnum SMA8). 

If you have no clue about water cooling, check out EKWB's kit and gpu blocks, they have everything you need for your loop. When picking a kit you also have a calculator of how much gpu blocks you should be running with selected kit. 

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll go check out those videos.

And about the SSDs. He wants a lot of it as he has a lot of 4k footage and a lot of rendering and video editing to do. We're probably dropping down to 2 Titans. 

Thanks again to all of you. 

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

Im going to need a picture of that ;)

I'll make sure to send you one once it's over. We might consider a build log. 

22 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

Here is a good water loop for that build from EKWB

Awesome, and this would all work with what is needed? 

Also I think we might go and buy some Corsair Air Series fans. Would they be ok with the radiators? 

Awesome, and this would all work with what is needed? 

Also I think we might go and buy some Corsair Air Series fans. Would they be ok with the radiators? 

The ones I picked out are better for the rads.  And that was picked out with 3x 980Ti Classys in the build I quoted rather than Titan Xs so keep that in mind.  And he still needs fittings, that will depend on how many 90 degree or other angled fittings he would want or not.  They are more likely to leak but make the build look cleaner.  He may also need more tubing, that is likely a if he makes no mistakes he has enough thing.  Use dyes on distilled water, I included clear tubing.  And honestly 3x 980Tis would be better than 2x Titan Xs for about the same price so I would just go with that.

1 minute ago, Mattyp92 said:

The ones I picked out are better for the rads.  And that was picked out with 3x 980Ti Classys in the build I quoted rather than Titan Xs so keep that in mind.  And he still needs fittings, that will depend on how many 90 degree or other angled fittings he would want or not.  They are more likely to leak but make the build look cleaner.  He may also need more tubing, that is likely a if he makes no mistakes he has enough thing.  Use dyes on distilled water, I included clear tubing.  And honestly 3x 980Tis would be better than 2x Titan Xs for about the same price so I would just go with that.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll keep researching :) 

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll keep researching :) 

The fittings he needs are 3/8 ID x 5/8 OD compression fittings for that tubing, I would look on EK's site and decide where you want 90 degree, where you want straight, and where you want 45 degree fittings, I would do 45s from the cpu to the gpus, and straight fittings everywhere else unless you want to go 90 from cpu to res (on both ends) and 90 from the res to the pump, maybe 1 90 on each rad, one straight.  You could always get everything else, figure out where the stuff is going and eyeball the tubing and decide then what fittings you want where.

1 minute ago, Mattyp92 said:

The fittings he needs are 3/8 ID x 5/8 OD compression fittings for that tubing, I would look on EK's site and decide where you want 90 degree, where you want straight, and where you want 45 degree fittings, I would do 45s from the cpu to the gpus, and straight fittings everywhere else unless you want to go 90 from cpu to res (on both ends) and 90 from the res to the pump, maybe 1 90 on each rad, one straight.  You could always get everything else, figure out where the stuff is going and eyeball the tubing and decide then what fittings you want where.

Ok, I'll try. I've never done any water cooling so I'll have to try figure out how it'll all look. 

@Mattyp92 I think he'l want it to look similar to what @maremp mentioned earlier about JayZ's Skunkworks project but probably with only 1 pump/res combo and maybe down to 2 titans. 

Here's another general idea of what we could be going for:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/82bHYJ

Would we be able to make the res visible in the window of the 900D or would we need a CaseLabs SMA8 for that? We have the budget for that if its much better. 

41 minutes ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

And about the SSDs. He wants a lot of it as he has a lot of 4k footage and a lot of rendering and video editing to do.

I find it hard to believe anyone can effectively use more than 950 pro's 512gb of storage at any one time. I'm not alone in preaching against dumping thousands of $€£ on the internal storage. At the cost of storage in this build, I would rather invest into a dedicated NAS machine and set up 10gbit networking. It offers more secure storage and it's easier for others in the same network to access stored data. Plus it's much easier to scale storage this way, it's much less limiting than the sata and pcie slots. Plus you get to move those loud hard drives away from you.

4 hours ago, maremp said:

I find it hard to believe anyone can effectively use more than 950 pro's 512gb of storage at any one time. I'm not alone in preaching against dumping thousands of $€£ on the internal storage. At the cost of storage in this build, I would rather invest into a dedicated NAS machine and set up 10gbit networking. It offers more secure storage and it's easier for others in the same network to access stored data. Plus it's much easier to scale storage this way, it's much less limiting than the sata and pcie slots. Plus you get to move those loud hard drives away from you.

Ok, thank you for your input :)