Enough amps?

mkessler9

Hey I'm thinking about getting another gtx 650ti boost to put in sli. It requires 24amps on the 12volt rail. My power supply has 48amps on the 12volt rail. So I would be using the whole 48amps on the powersupply. Would that work? Does the cpu and hard drives also take from the 12volt rail? If so how much? 

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Bother, I clicked on this thread thinking I will see a wall of marshal and peavy head units and a question about SPL requirments. :(

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

a 650 ti boost doesn't require 24 amps on the 12 volt rail

According to this link, it does: http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

a 650 ti boost doesn't require 24 amps on the 12 volt rail ... that's 288Watt .... a single gtx 650 ti boost doesn't even draw half of that ...

Yeaaaaa it does. I had a power supply with 23amps on the 12volt rail and the 650ti boost wouldn't even display anything. Checked manual and it said the boost required at least 24amps

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Hey I'm thinking about getting another gtx 650ti boost to put in sli. It requires 24amps on the 12volt rail. My power supply has 48amps on the 12volt rail. So I would be using the whole 48amps on the powersupply. Would that work? Does the cpu and hard drives also take from the 12volt rail? If so how much? 

lol the 24 amps is for the whole system. not even an oc`ed gtx titan doesn`t use 24 amps. you have 576W on the 12V rail so you can sli 2 gtx 760 if you want. as long its a good psu. which is it ?

the gtx 650 ti boost needs 9amps at peak load in gaming...

Edited by s3ns3

NVIDIA says they recommend a power supply with at least 24 Amps on the 12V rail.

NVIDIA is well aware the the graphics card will not just be on a desk by itself.  They would not recommend a 24A power supply if the just graphics card by itself needed that much.  The recommendation is not the power requirements for the card, it is the minimum power supply they recommend using with your system containing the graphics card.

NVIDIA says they recommend a power supply with at least 24 Amps on the 12V rail.

NVIDIA is well aware the the graphics card will not just be on a desk by itself.  They would not recommend a 24A power supply if the just graphics card by itself needed that much.  The recommendation is not the power requirements for the card, it is the minimum power supply they recommend using with your system containing the graphics card.

Then why did my 500watt psu with 23amps on 12v rail not supply enough power for the gpu?

Then why did my 500watt psu with 23amps on 12v rail not supply enough power for the gpu?

Depends on your system; if you had a lot of hard drives or other components that could be why, or if you have a lower quality power supply, many low end PSUs are not actually capable of outputting their rated wattage.

if your 500w psu only had half of that on the 12v. rail,i can only imagine what kind of psu is that .

if your 500w psu only had half of that on the 12v. rail,i can only imagine what kind of psu is that .

huh

Depends on your system; if you had a lot of hard drives or other components that could be why, or if you have a lower quality power supply, many low end PSUs are not actually capable of outputting their rated wattage.

It was a low end one it came with my gaming pc case. But I bought a 600watt corsiar psu which is what I'm using now

On a modern day system, the majority of the power draw comes from the 12v rail. A proper modern day PSU that is rated for 500w should have ~38-40A or so depending on the design. If that PSU legitimately only have 23A, then it is at best a ~300w unit

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_650_Ti_Boost_TF_Gaming/24.html

The 650 Ti has a max power draw of ~120wDC during Furmark. That's 10A on the 12v by itself.

huh

Wattage is calculated from amperage and voltage... 23A x 12V = 276W on the 12V rail.  A little bit of wattage will also be on the 5V and 3.3V rails, but where did the rest go O.o?  No one ever knows where these low quality power supplies get their numbers from... Even the 23A itself was probably an inflated figure to begin with.

On a modern day system, the majority of the power draw comes from the 12v rail. A proper modern day PSU that is rated for 500w should have ~38-40A or so depending on the design. If that PSU legitimately only have 23A, then it is at best a ~300w unit

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_650_Ti_Boost_TF_Gaming/24.html

The 650 Ti has a max power draw of ~120wDC during Furmark. That's 10A on the 12v by itself.

Thats the 650ti the 650ti boost consumes 150watts

Thats the 650ti the 650ti boost consumes 150watts

The review is for MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost TwinFrozr Gaming 2 GB, which that review states 120wDC during Furmark.

Even if by some chance that it does uses 150w, that's still only 12.5A not 24A.

The review is for MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost TwinFrozr Gaming 2 GB, which that review states 120wDC during Furmark.

Even if by some chance that it does uses 150w, that's still only 12.5A not 24A.

Ok and hey people! All I wanted to know was that for sure I could run 2 gtx 650ti boosts on a 600watt psu

Ok and hey people! All I wanted to know was that for sure I could run 2 gtx 650ti boosts on a 600watt psu

Sorry, it seem I wasn't clear. When I posted that link, it was to show you the power consumption of the 650Ti in SLI being <20A during gaming load. So while the CX600 isn't the best quality unit, whatever your other system specs are (which you never had stated), it will be within the rated capacity of the unit.

In other words, it can run it.

Yeaaaaa it does. I had a power supply with 23amps on the 12volt rail and the 650ti boost wouldn't even display anything. Checked manual and it said the boost required at least 24amps

Guts, stop it ... Read PCIe specifications.

This card only has one single 6 PIN connector. MAXIMUM allowed power draw for this configuration is 150 Watt. Manufacturers aren't stupid.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log