Should I keep my PC off during this time?

Joey No Salad

There is a HUGE snow storm going on where I live right now, and the power keeps flickering on and off. I want to be able to play some games or do some schoolwork in between the times there is a blackout, but every now and then the power will be off for a second and then will turn back on. However, I have a really good pc with expensive hardware in it and I don't want to risk damaging or frying it by turning on my PC multiple times to only have it shut down again 15 minutes later. 

So, what should I do? Can I damage my components by turning on my PC when the power is flickering on and off during this mass snowstorm? 

UPS maybe?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Just now, Djole123 said:

UPS maybe?

Don't have one.... And I think the storm will be over by the time I have access to one. The roads are iced right now, and the nearest tech store that may have a UPS is quite a while away. 

It doesn't happen but is possible that you will damage something (power surges, HDD head falling on the platter, all that stuff) It there is a huge storm I would either connect it to an UPS or don't use it at all. 

Edit: Btw, you live in an apocalypse world, why to even care about your PC? :D

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

Still , you can buy a UPS . Try online and you can even get some good deals.

But, from what you are saying , a UPS is a must.

3 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

It doesn't happen but is possible that you will damage something (power surges, HDD head falling on the platter, all that stuff) It there is a huge storm I would either connect it to an UPS or don't use it at all. 

Edit: Btw, you live in an apocalypse world, why to even care about your PC? :D

Alright, I probably won't use my PC all that much until I notice that the power is stable. The storm is mellowed out right now, but if the wind picks up I will probs just turn off my PC because that is when the power typically has been failing. 

12 minutes ago, Joey No Salad said:

Don't have one.... And I think the storm will be over by the time I have access to one. The roads are iced right now, and the nearest tech store that may have a UPS is quite a while away. 

That turn it off and use a phone or a laptop instead. 

Better safe than sorry.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

28 minutes ago, Joey No Salad said:

I don't want to risk damaging or frying it by turning on my PC multiple times

Can I damage my components by turning on my PC when the power is flickering on and off during this mass snowstorm? 

Where did you get that bullshit? You will not damage your pc by turning it off and on multiple times.

Unless we're talking about power outage, in which case there is an increased risk of power surge right when it comes back.

If you can't get ups or at least a surge protector, I would be cautious of having the computer plugged in during the storm. If it happens often, get a decent ups, it should keep your pc running during the power outage and will also keep you safe from surges.