recommended air cooler

Bright_Darkness

thinking of upgrade to i5 6600k and i need a new cooler. what should i buy? any recommendations? 

6 minutes ago, Bright_Darkness said:

thinking of upgrade to i5 6600k and i need a new cooler. what should i buy? any recommendations? 

Depends on your budget. The Noctua NH-D15 is probably one of the best out there but doesn't have the best looks. The beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is a great looking alternative.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Depends on your budget. The Noctua NH-D15 is probably one of the best out there but doesn't have the best looks. The beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 is a great looking alternative.

Yep the NH-D15 is quite good. You might also consider the ND-D15s (slightly shifted to allow for better compatibility with the first PCI slot (the D15 could block that slot on some motherboards). It is also quite tall so depending on your case it may not fit. Full measurements are available on the noctua website. 

The Dark Rock does look nice but can be difficult to mount from what I have read. 

What are your needs with the cooler? What kind of case are you going to use?

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

If you're planning some decent overclocking, one of these - Noctua NH-D15 / Phanteks TC-14PE / Cryorig R1 Ultimate.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

3 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Noctua NH-D15

Get the Noctua NH-D15S instead

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

3 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

Yep the NH-D15 is quite good. You might also consider the ND-D15s (slightly shifted to allow for better compatibility with the first PCI slot (the D15 could block that slot on some motherboards). It is also quite tall so depending on your case it may not fit. Full measurements are available on the noctua website. 

The Dark Rock does look nice but can be difficult to mount from what I have read. 

What are your needs with the cooler? What kind of case are you going to use?

i was thinking of getting the mastercase 5 from coolermaster and was going to overclock it. pretty sure i'm going to game on it 

14 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

pretty much this.

NH-D15, silver arrow extreme whatever their biggest version is, or the dark rock pro3.

unless you're a die hard thermalright fangirl like I, then you go with whichever looks the best from that brand, because for some reason, they got thier 40$ coolers to perform the same as some of their 60$ coolers. :P

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Just now, Lethal Seraph said:

Get the Noctua NH-D15S instead

Only if ram clearance is an issue, or for some reason OP only wants 1 fan instead of 2.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

4 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Noctua NH-D15 / Phanteks TC-14PE / Cryorig R1 Ultimate

this too, Phanteks and Cryorig make GREAT coolers that look good too.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen