PC won't boot; fans spin, no signal

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

Yeah I suspected that. Shit.

Wait the AMD Board doesn't use 24 pin? Is it 20 pin? If so, isn't your PSU 20+4 pin?

The AMD board uses less pins but the PSU doesn't let me split to make up for it

24pins or nothing. 

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

8 minutes ago, Albatross said:

The AMD board uses less pins but the PSU doesn't let me split to make up for it

24pins or nothing. 

Ah alright so the one on your PSU is pure 24 pin, not 20+4 and it uses 20 pin. Shit.

This is officially where I say I'm clueless, sorry.

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Ah alright so the one on your PSU is pure 24 pin, not 20+4 and it uses 20 pin. Shit.

This is officially where I say I'm clueless, sorry.

Yea, it sucks. ;-;

I have one more PC to try though, just gotta get it out of the closet. Hopefully it will tell me whether the PSU is bad or not.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Just now, Albatross said:

Yea, it sucks. ;-;

I have one more PC to try though, just gotta get it out of the closet. Hopefully it will tell me whether the PSU is bad or not.

Best of luck! If I think of anything I'll let you know. It really does sound to me like it's the PSU.

2 hours ago, Albatross said:

Yea, it sucks. ;-;

Try putting Ubuntu on a USB drive and see if it will boot. That will answer a lot of questions.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

Best of luck! If I think of anything I'll let you know. It really does sound to me like it's the PSU.

It is the PSU. Just tested it in a HP I know works. It turned on once but on shutdown and reboot, it got the same issue.

Either that or it is a hilarious coincidence. Lol

12 minutes ago, Albatross said:

It is the PSU. Just tested it in a HP I know works. It turned on once but on shutdown and reboot, it got the same issue.

Either that or it is a hilarious coincidence. Lol

Glad to hear it! Well, I'm not glad that hardware is broken, but it's a much better alternative than the mobo imo, this isn't nearly as expensive since Z87/Z97 boards are out of production. 

2 hours ago, FAQBytes said:

Try putting Ubuntu on a USB drive and see if it will boot. That will answer a lot of questions.

It would boot anything if I did a cold boot. Ubuntu or Windows. :(

11 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Glad to hear it! Much better alternative than the mobo imo, this isn't nearly as expensive since Z87/Z97 boards are out of production. 

Might as well be diamonds for me. haha I doubt I'll be able to replace it any time soon and I ain't dealing with this crappy phone for any longer than I have to. lol

Thank you all so much for helping me isolate the problem. I know it was annoying, so sorry for that. I'll give out thumbs up in a few minutes. 

Edited by Albatross

2 minutes ago, Albatross said:

IMight as well be diamonds for me. haha I doubt I'll be able to replace it any time soon and I ain't dealing with this crappy phone for any longer than I have to. lol

Thank you all so much for helping me isolate the problem. I know it was annoying, so sorry for that. I'll give out thumbs up in a few minutes. 

Damn :\ yeah the replacement will probably be around $60-$65 pre-mail-in-rebate.

Don't apologize for needing some help troubleshooting :P 

14 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Well the good news is that it isn't fully non-functional, right? You can get it to work, can't you? 

17 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Well the good news is that it isn't fully non-functional, right? You can get it to work, can't you? 

It doesn't work anymore. Not even on cold boot. It just got worse and worse each boot. :(

3 minutes ago, Albatross said:

It doesn't work anymore. Not even on cold boot. It just got worse and worse each boot. :(

OH SHIT REALLY?!

50 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Hey how long have you had the psu? It has a 3 year warranty.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

I know good PSUs. I am VERY VERY familiar with PSUs. The CX line is not particularly good and I never recommend it. There are better for the same price. But they aren't worthy of the anti-CX circle jerk that they get.

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Oh please, I know good PSUs. The CX line is not particularly good and I never recommend it. There are better for the same price. But they aren't worthy of the anti-CX circle jerk that they get.

"CX Series Modular power supply units are an excellent choice for basic system builds and desktop PC computer upgrades"
-Shit tier office grade CWT power supply

They are slightly over priced and aimed at their correct market the real issue is Corsair is a well know reliable gaming/enthusiast brand, there is nothing particularly wrong with the PSU as it clearly says "basic system builds", the issue is the corsair branding gives gamers and users with high performance PC's the wrong idea.

8 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Yes. They are still fairly capable for gaming. A PSU unfit for gaming is, frankly, too unreliable to be used in a business setting anyways. The primary issues with it are the low heat rating. Regardless, I've seen return rates. I've seen failure rates. Even for gaming, they aren't literally cancer like people here claim. 

Again, I never recommend them due to there being better options at every price point that a CX series exists at, but they aren't as bad as people here claim. They will not explode or die often under the stress of gaming prematurely. It happens though, as it does with all PSUs. Is it less common for an S12II or an EVGA B2? (my usual go-tos) Yes it is. It is less common. Is it still fairly uncommon for them to die within 5 years under even moderate-high load? Yes. Yes it is.

If they were only appropriate for low-load systems then there would be no need for anything beyond a CX430M. (I've seen actual return rates at microcenter) 

See @WoodenMarker's comments in this thread: 

And please stop continuing the circle-jerk within the echo-chamber.

Sorry if any of this seemed rude, I'm just tired of having the same conversation every week with people who have no experience with the product.

Again... S12II/EVGA B2/A thousand other options > CX series at the same price. But that doesn't make them flammable time-bombs.

I have had it for more than four years, if I remember correctly. The PSU has never had issues before. I guess it just hit its end of life. I got it on sale for 30$, so I can't complain really. :)

Okay...so now that I know what the problem is, I need a replacement. I have $60-70 max (must be on Amazon 'cause reasons) to spend. I'd like it to be fully modular or semi at least, because I love that and need it, but I guess it doesn't have to be there for me to accept it. If it matters, I run a lot of HDDs (sata slots are full and USB slots), fans, one led strip and two monitors and my case is a Cooler Master HAF 912. Besides that I'd like it to be quality I won't regret buying two years from now. lol

So...any suggestions? :)

(sorry if there are any mistakes in this post; in a hurry)

On 3/26/2016 at 3:48 AM, Albatross said:

Okay...so now that I know what the problem is, I need a replacement. I have $60-70 max (must be on Amazon 'cause reasons) to spend. I'd like it to be fully modular or semi at least, because I love that and need it, but I guess it doesn't have to be there for me to accept it. If it matters, I run a lot of HDDs (sata slots are full and USB slots), fans, one led strip and two monitors and my case is a Cooler Master HAF 912. Besides that I'd like it to be quality I won't regret buying two years from now. lol

So...any suggestions? :)

(sorry if there are any mistakes in this post; in a hurry)

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-110-B2-0750-VR/dp/B00KFAFRW6

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BIEOCI/?tag=pcpapi-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HA3SQ8/?tag=pcpapi-20

I'd go with the EVGA B2. Overkill in wattage, but pretty close in price. Amazon sales on PSUs a nearly non-existent right now, unfortunately.

The GQ is also a great option.

Sadly, the S12II goes a bit over $70 with shipping.