Variable Voltage Power Supply

Dukanater

Hey guys im in the market for a variable voltage power supply i had tried making my own ghetto version out of a old PC power-supply i had and it was Ok for somethings but its just to many wires laying out and id rather have a real one i can just adjust to what i need when i need it im not very familiar with some of the brands iv seen selling these so i figured id ask and see if anyone on here had any information they wouldn't mind sharing and maybe some suggestions on what your using and why if you have one? 

looking to spend as much as 200-300$ although iv seen some way cheaper like in the 80$ range i don't if they are any good. also needs to be able to power at least 30v and 5amps more wouldn't hurt. 

The quality of it really depends on the type of work you are trying to do. I can recommend a few good brands if you want.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Get the 10A version, all you need is a PSU on the input with a voltage and wattage slightly higher than the max you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221544699009

These things are awesome.

@colonel_mortis on mobile. THE EDIT. WONT. SAVE.

More wouldnt hurt? What about 10A at 60V? Mine is the 5a vereion, pissed I didnt know about the 10a version

You should get the 10A version, all you need is a PSU on the input with a voltage and wattage slightly higher than the max you need. Enhance its cooling.

26 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

The quality of it really depends on the type of work you are trying to do. I can recommend a few good brands if you want.

most of the work im doing is random and i dont know to to categorize it repair and testing i guess alot of random things that come thru my work space some times are missing labels or the original power cords and bricks i figure being able to dial up the voltage little by little till what ever im testing is working properly or i find out its dead. right now i have a bunch of different power bricks scavenged from different old electronics and i just kind of jump out till i find what i need. 

any recommendations are welcome =] 

31 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Get the 10A version, all you need is a PSU on the input with a voltage and wattage slightly higher than the max you need.

60v 10a sounds perfect but im looking for a already made product i can just plugin and tune quickly something reliable thats not going to break on me if i do something stupid which is likely to happen lol 

2 hours ago, Dukanater said:

-Snip-

I also recommend both the EEVBlog channel and EEVBlog.com forums. 

If you can find a cheap used Rigol, Siglent, or Agilent (ha, funny), that's the best you can get that come remotely close to your price range.

Dave from the EEVBlog did a teardown of a Korad bench supply: 

They have 2 main versions on Amazon:

Single Channel:

http://www.amazon.com/KORAD-KD3005D-Precision-Adjustable-Regulated/dp/B00FPU6G4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1458716487&sr=1-1&keywords=korad+power+supply

Three Channel:

http://www.amazon.com/KORAD-KA3305P-Programmable-Precision-Adjustable/dp/B012LMOI84/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1458716487&sr=1-3&keywords=korad+power+supply

Twice the price, but triple the whammy. The second falls at the bottom of your 2-300 range, 

They both fulfill your criteria and don't break the bank. Be warned that they are apparently somewhat unintuitive to get used to according to some reviews, but no other complaints other than that. 

I'll be happy to answer any more questions to the best of my ability.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

22 minutes ago, Dukanater said:

most of the work im doing is random and i dont know to to categorize it repair and testing i guess alot of random things that come thru my work space some times are missing labels or the original power cords and bricks i figure being able to dial up the voltage little by little till what ever im testing is working properly or i find out its dead. right now i have a bunch of different power bricks scavenged from different old electronics and i just kind of jump out till i find what i need. 

any recommendations are welcome =] 

60v 10a sounds perfect but im looking for a already made product i can just plugin and tune quickly something reliable thats not going to break on me if i do something stupid which is likely to happen lol 

I have used mine just as an oprn unit before. If you want something of good quality and reliability, I would post on the EEVBlog forums with your price range. My guess is an old HP/agilent/keysight lab supply will do well