Dedicated PhysX card made 980 Ti run at x8 3.0

Hello everybody. Brand new here and first time posting. I have a question about using a dedicated card for PhysX, as I just learned that that was even possible today.

My rig is:

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified

i5 4670k

1 TB SSD

16GB DDR3 RAM

I upgraded my graphics card to the 980 Ti not too long ago, and the GTX 770 that I replaced has been just sitting around in a box since then. However, when I was playing Borderlands 2 today (just bought it), I was noticing a lot of framerate drops whenever enemies would show up. My frames would drop to the 40's and even the high 30's at times. This was with PhysX on high, and it got quite a bit better, although not perfect, when I turned PhysX down to low. I did a little bit of research (since Borderlands 2 should be giving me no issues whatsoever...) on this and apparently it's a known issue with Borderlands 2 and the PhysX is implemented very poorly. I also found out I could stick my GTX 770 back in and use it as a dedicated PhysX card, so I decided to give it a try. Everything is working fantastic with it set up like that, and my framerate isn't dropping at all anymore in Borderlands 2. However, I now have a new concern. I decided to check my cards to make sure everything was running the way it should with GPU-Z afterwards... and unfortunately found that my GTX 980 Ti is now running at only x8 3.0 PCI-E in a x16 PCI-E slot... so my question is, is there anyway to fix it so that I can use my GTX 770 for PhysX and still get the full x16 out of the slot my GTX 980 Ti is in? and if not... am I actually losing any performance or horsepower by having it at x8 3.0 like this? I also have my GTX 770 in my x8 slot... if that matters... I was wondering if it might fix it if I put it in the x4 slot instead, but then would that give my 770 plenty to handle the PhysX still? Thanks for your time guys.

2 minutes ago, Nex Cube said:

Hello everybody. Brand new here and first time posting. I have a question about using a dedicated card for PhysX, as I just learned that that was even possible today.

My rig is:

i5 4670k

1 TB SSD

16GB DDR3 RAM

I upgraded my graphics card to the 980 Ti not too long ago, and the GTX 770 that I replaced has been just sitting around in a box since then. However, when I was playing Borderlands 2 today (just bought it), I was noticing a lot of framerate drops whenever enemies would show up. My frames would drop to the 40's and even the high 30's at times. This was with PhysX on high, and it got quite a bit better, although not perfect, when I turned PhysX down to low. I did a little bit of research (since Borderlands 2 should be giving me no issues whatsoever...) on this and apparently it's a known issue with Borderlands 2 and the PhysX is implemented very poorly. I also found out I could stick my GTX 770 back in and use it as a dedicated PhysX card, so I decided to give it a try. Everything is working fantastic with it set up like that, and my framerate isn't dropping at all anymore in Borderlands 2. However, I now have a new concern. I decided to check my cards to make sure everything was running the way it should with GPU-Z afterwards... and unfortunately found that my GTX 980 Ti is now running at only x8 3.0 PCI-E in a x16 PCI-E slot... so my question is, is there anyway to fix it so that I can use my GTX 770 for PhysX and still get the full x16 out of the slot my GTX 980 Ti is in? and if not... am I actually losing any performance or horsepower by having it at x8 3.0 like this? I also have my GTX 770 in my x8 slot... if that matters... I was wondering if it might fix it if I put it in the x4 slot instead, but then would that give my 770 plenty to handle the PhysX still? Thanks for your time guys.

I am not sure but maybe that i5 is bottlenecking with that 980ti.

y u get that??

btw Welcome to the fourms!

Even with Gen2 PCI-E x8 no card will saturate it. That isn't your problem.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

It's because you are running two GPU's, they are splitting the dedicated 16 lanes between them... even though they aren't in SLI, they are both accessing the CPU, thus the CPU PCI Controller will split the access. This is not a problem as the GPU doesn't utilize the full 16 lanes, it's more like 4-6 lanes... so in 8x mode it's still got enough access to the CPU to perform at it's best.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

your getting x8 because the cpu only has 16 pci lanes, and its fine you'll have no performance loss

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

1 minute ago, josephaltareb said:

I am not sure but maybe that i5 is bottlenecking with that 980ti.

y u get that??

btw Welcome to the fourms!

Thanks. I was actually wondering about that, but from the research I did it didn't seem like a 980 Ti would get bottlenecked by my CPU. Do you think it might be? I was trying to overclock it the other day and I got it to 4.3GHZ stable but Rise of the Tomb Raider was having weird frame hitches that I wasn't getting before the overclock... So I just undid it and decided not to mess with it.

6 minutes ago, Nex Cube said:

My rig is:

i5 4670k

1 TB SSD

16GB DDR3 RAM

Just now, imperialplanet said:

your getting x8 because the cpu only has 16 pci lanes, and its fine you'll have no performance loss

Yes, consider getting a better i7 4690k, or if needed, i7 4930k for all doe lanes.

3 minutes ago, GidonsClaw said:

It's because you are running two GPU's, they are splitting the dedicated 16 lanes between them... even though they aren't in SLI, they are both accessing the CPU, thus the CPU PCI Controller will split the access. This is not a problem as the GPU doesn't utilize the full 16 lanes, it's more like 4-6 lanes... so in 8x mode it's still got enough access to the CPU to perform at it's best.

1 minute ago, imperialplanet said:

Awesome, thank you very much guys. Seems like this will work great then.

2 hours ago, Nex Cube said:

Thanks. I was actually wondering about that, but from the research I did it didn't seem like a 980 Ti would get bottlenecked by my CPU. Do you think it might be? I was trying to overclock it the other day and I got it to 4.3GHZ stable but Rise of the Tomb Raider was having weird frame hitches that I wasn't getting before the overclock... So I just undid it and decided not to mess with it.

You shouldn't have an issue with it unless you see it constantly running games pinned at 100%.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

USING AN EXTRA CARD FOR PHYSX HAS BEEN USELESS FOR ALMOST A DECADE NOW. THERE SHOULD BE A STICKY FOR THIS.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

USING AN EXTRA CARD FOR PHYSX HAS BEEN USELESS FOR ALMOST A DECADE NOW. THERE SHOULD BE A STICKY FOR THIS.

It made a pretty big difference though.

A 4930K or 5930K CPU will allow you to access two bundles of 16x lanes (one per GPU)... but that's not necessary and not needed... aka Overkill

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

2 hours ago, ivan134 said:

No need to shout it. 

In general, I agree, but I do believe there have been advancements.

2 minutes ago, josephaltareb said:

Yes, consider getting a better i7 4690k, or if needed, i7 4930k for all doe lanes.

Would that actually be a worthwhile upgrade? I was wanting to upgrade my CPU but that's about the best I can do without replacing the entire motherboard.

2 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

You shouldn't have an issue with it unless you see it constantly running games pinned at 100%.

To be honest with you it seems like my CPU is usually pinned at 100% >.>

1 minute ago, Nex Cube said:

Would that actually be a worthwhile upgrade? I was wanting to upgrade my CPU but that's about the best I can do without replacing the entire motherboard.

x9xx CPU's are mainly 2011-x socket, so you would need a more expensive board...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Just now, Nex Cube said:
Just now, Nex Cube said:

you need to get a x97 board for it i think.

2 hours ago, Nex Cube said:

To be honest with you it seems like my CPU is usually pinned at 100% >.>

Even when just browsing the web? In that case that might mean that there is an issue elsewhere.

1 minute ago, GidonsClaw said:

x9xx CPU's are mainly 2011-x socket, so you would need a more expensive board...

Oh I see... in that case I would upgrade more if I was getting a new board. I could still put an i7 4690k in this board though couldn't I? Surely that would be a negligible upgrade for the money right?

5 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

It helps when you have a lower end main GPU in a game with heavy PhysX implementation(like BL2), its not necessary for something as powerful as a 980 ti. I'm of the mind that the recent dogshit NV drivers are to blame for OP's performance issues. As they've been causing loads of problems across a wide range of games.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

1 minute ago, GidonsClaw said:

not much more expensive,

2 hours ago, GidonsClaw said:

You are correct, so with the same motherboard he should stick with a quad core i7 (x97 series).

1 minute ago, FAQBytes said:

Even when just browsing the web? In that case that might mean that there is an issue elsewhere.

No, my bad I guess that was kind of confusing. I just meant when I'm doing anything that is CPU intensive at all, such as playing a game.

Just now, Nex Cube said:

Oh I see... in that case I would upgrade more if I was getting a new board. I could still put an i7 4690k in this board though couldn't I? Surely that would be a negligible upgrade for the money right?

oh crap, in the ark, it has 16x as well,. shit im sorry you cant use that either.

1 minute ago, Nex Cube said:

Agreed

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

Hades 1.0

Spoiler