build pc, wait for pascal

kakhat

so at the end of march or beginning of April I want to build my first gaming pc http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t3J2gs and I am thinking about video card, should I buy gtx 980 ti now or what else and besides I don't have any other computer o what do you suggest ,what should I do

Depends on how urgently you need a computer. If you need it ASAP, then get it now.

You can also build your PC without the GPU, and then buy a Pascal/Polaris GPU later.

As usual, I'm gonna stick my gaming build recommendation, so you can compare and ask any questions you like.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FX6NXL

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, kakhat said:

so at the end of march or beginning of April I want to build my first gaming pc http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t3J2gs and I am thinking about video card, should I buy gtx 980 ti now or what else and besides I don't have any other computer o what do you suggest ,what should I do

Since you don't have a computer and you are talking about building in the next week or two I would say go ahead and buy the 980ti. Pascal and the others are still a few months off and may or may not have a good performance jump. Some are estimating it will be less than 10%. 

If you are really conflicted you can build now and run in integrated graphics for a while and enjoy some older games. Or you can buy the 980ti and sell it off to help pay for an upgrade if there is a big performance gain.

I'd also recommend you look into adding a SSD to your build as it will help with overall system performance. You also need to add a keyboard, mouse, and an upgraded cooler if you plan to overclock the chip. If you don't plan to overclock you will not need the K processor or the z97 board. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Unless you really want to get Pascal, waiting later down the road for a 980Ti discount will probably only gonna get you around $50-$100 off new GPU. Unless of course you get a used one, we could be talking $200 off new or perhaps more.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

1 minute ago, Papakuma said:

Pascal and the others are still a few months off and may or may not have a good performance jump. Some are estimating it will be less than 10%.

Where are you getting this information? Pascal and Polaris are on new process nodes and they are new architectures, so it's bound to get significantly better performance and/or significantly reduced power consumption, if not anything else.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

Where are you getting this information? Pascal and Polaris are on new process nodes and they are new architectures, so it's bound to get significantly better performance and/or significantly reduced power consumption, if not anything else.

Speculation is reduced power consumption but not a huge jump in performance. Nobody will know for sure however until the boards are released. Speculation abounds on a variety of forums including this one. But I haven't heard anyone beating the drum of a huge performance gain...all the talk is around the reduced power draw. 

Just now, Papakuma said:

Speculation is reduced power consumption but not a huge jump in performance. Nobody will know for sure however until the boards are released. Speculation abounds on a variety of forums including this one. But I haven't heard anyone beating the drum of a huge performance gain...all the talk is around the reduced power draw. 

Which is all the more dangerous to draw conclusions on. Your tone of writing suggested that Pascal might have less than 10% performance improvement, which is pure speculation at this point. You really shouldn't advise someone based on rumors and speculation.

19 minutes ago, kakhat said:

At this price, why did you not pick 6700K and Z170 chipset (if you intend to OC)? Or if you're only going to use ti for gaming, get a 6600K and lower the cost of your build by $100. Anyways, if you're going to OC, get a better cooler, stock ain't gonna do the job.

Which is all the more dangerous to draw conclusions on. Your tone of writing suggested that Pascal might have less than 10% performance improvement, which is pure speculation at this point. You really shouldn't advise someone based on rumors and speculation.

The advice is that without a gaming machine and wanting to build in two weeks you might as well buy what is available now as we don't know anything about what is in the pipeline that won't be here for a few months. Speculation says lower than expected performance...could be right...could be wrong...which is why I said it was speculation. 

I also offered the advice to run on iGPU or buy and upgrade later if the reality pans out to be a large performance gain. But for OP, the issue is building in the next few weeks and he or she wanted to know what to do in the face of speculation and uncertainty. 

Just now, Papakuma said:

The advice is that without a gaming machine and wanting to build in two weeks you might as well buy what is available now as we don't know anything about what is in the pipeline that won't be here for a few months. Speculation says lower than expected performance...could be right...could be wrong...which is why I said it was speculation.

I thought you used both points to back your advice (that Pascal won't come soon and it might be disappointing in performance).

But anyways, Pascal and Polaris is still a viable choice in my books. If not anything else, it'll make the older generation cards even cheaper. xD

I thought you used both points to back your advice (that Pascal won't come soon and it might be disappointing in performance).

But anyways, Pascal and Polaris is still a viable choice in my books. If not anything else, it'll make the older generation cards even cheaper. xD

We can only hope! This is a tough issue for people building right now for sure. The sad fact of the matter is as soon as you buy something new will come along...and the cycle of upgrades continues :)

From what ive heard, the 980 ti replacement isnt coming until early 2017 and the  flagship card nvidia is releasing is the gtx 1080, which will sit more or less between the 980 and 980ti.

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

37 minutes ago, kakhat said:

so at the end of march or beginning of April I want to build my first gaming pc http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t3J2gs and I am thinking about video card, should I buy gtx 980 ti

Not worth it to get an Nvidia GPU with the added cost of G-sync over Free-sync

Also go 4k, more pixels for less money

this is a 27" 4k IPS free-sync display, if productivity is your thing you'll want a 40" 4k display

and overclocking isn't going to be worth it, and you should probably go skylake at this point for USB 3.1.

also just get a mid range GPU, and save your money for the top end new GPUs, they'll be able to put 4k at 60fps pretty well.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xsm3K8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xsm3K8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($327.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($71.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.24 @ Directron)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card  ($308.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 27MC67-B 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1449.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-22 22:30 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?