Need help with network config

xOAT

I would like PC 5 to be able to access files on PC 1 and print. PC 1 is Win XP, PC 2, 3, and 4 are Win 7, and PC 5 is Win 10. PC 5 can access all other pc's except for PC 1 and it's printer. I have tried setting Router 2 to bridge mode and disabling DHCP. How can I configure the routers so that all pc's can access each other?

Network.png

The issue may be with the OS on PC1. If you send a ping command to PC1's IP address, do you get anything back? 

Also, can PC 2 and 3 print and access PC1? If the printer has a network connection available, try connecting it to the router (1) instead of directly to PC 1.

Printer is an older USB only printer.

I just realized that PC 5 (and all others) can print now since switching to bridge mode on router 2.

However, no pc can access files on PC 1. Pinging PC 1 from PC 2 and PC 5 was successful all pings returned. So it must be a OS config problem? Windows Firewall is off on PC 1. I double checked folder properties and PC 1 documents folder is set as shared. It's Win XP Home SP3 if that means anything.

7 minutes ago, xOAT said:

Printer is an older USB only printer.

I just realized that PC 5 (and all others) can print now since switching to bridge mode on router 2.

However, no pc can access files on PC 1. Pinging PC 1 from PC 2 and PC 5 was successful all pings returned. So it must be a OS config problem? Windows Firewall is off on PC 1. I double checked folder properties and PC 1 documents folder is set as shared. It's Win XP Home SP3 if that means anything.

It seems that people are having issues with going between XP and 7/8/10 due to some encryption differences or something. 

There are some guides on how to get it working. Not sure how useful they'll be to you, but they're worth trying:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/53830-file-sharing-between-xp-w7-vice-versa.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/2129-sharing-files-windows-10-windows-xp.html

EDIT: A simple step to try first is to go into the "Network" section of Windows Explorer and type "\\<PC 1 IP Address>" into the path bar. So for me, I type "\\192.168.2.55" to access my file share on my PC. If there's simply an issue with the share not being discovered automatically, accessing it this way then mapping it as a network drive is a simple solution. 

38 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

A simple step to try first is to go into the "Network" section of Windows Explorer and type "\\<PC 1 IP Address>" into the path bar. So for me, I type "\\192.168.2.55" to access my file share on my PC. If there's simply an issue with the share not being discovered automatically, accessing it this way then mapping it as a network drive is a simple solution. 

Working now. Had to add it as a network location. Thanks Oshino Shinobu for helping me work this out.