Is this considered very bad back light bleed?

MadPug

I just got the Asus PG279Q and I knew that back light bleeding is a known issue for this monitor but it's a hit and miss. So I decided to try my luck and bought one, I immediately noticed a little bit on the top right and bottom left corner, and a lot of back light bleed on the bottom right corner. Before I paid I asked if I could get a replacement if there's a back light bleed, and they said only if it was really bad, but since there's no accurate measurement of what's acceptable and what's "really bad", it's all subjective.

What are your opinions on the back light bleed issue here? Acceptable? Bad? Very bad? Is it reasonable to ask for a replacement?

Thanks guy.

IMG-20160322-WA0040.jpg

Looks really bad from this photo

however, when you are using it, like browsing, playing games and movies, do you notice it?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

that looks like ips glow to me (the bottom right) however top right corner, the two bright points, thats blb. looks ok tbh, have seen worse.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

6 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Looks really bad from this photo

however, when you are using it, like browsing, playing games and movies, do you notice it?

Well you won't notice it unless the screen is all black, so I guess no I don't notice it during normal use.

But if a cutscene in a game or a movie scene goes completely black even for 1 or 2 seconds you will immediately notice it.

1 minute ago, MadPug said:

Well you won't notice it unless the screen is all black, so I guess no I don't notice it during normal use.

But if a cutscene in a game or a movie scene goes completely black even for 1 or 2 seconds you will immediately notice it.

yeah as above dont confuse backlight bleed for IPS glow, , but yes that monitor does not look great at all, I would consider it bad yes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

taking pictures exxaggerates it massively. take a video of it and make a screencap, thats how it almost looks irl. since ips glow changes from different angles its propably not that worse. ive got trough 5 pg279q's until i found a good one and almost all, even the almost perfect one looked like crap if i took a picture. id say its a decent screen and it cant get much better. if you dont notice it on a non-black screen its totally fine imho

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

5 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

yeah as above dont confuse backlight bleed for IPS glow, , but yes that monitor does not look great at all, I would consider it bad yes

Ok thanks for your input.

1 minute ago, Minsekt said:

taking pictures exxaggerates it massively. take a video of it and make a screencap, thats how it almost looks irl. since ips glow changes from different angles its propably not that worse. ive got trough 5 pg279q's until i found a good one and almost all, even the almost perfect one looked like crap if i took a picture. id say its a decent screen and it cant get much better. if you dont notice it on a non-black screen its totally fine imho

Hmm the picture looks pretty similar to when I look at it in person. It's very noticeable on a black screen and I've never noticed anything like this on cheaper IPS monitors before. I didn't even know what backlight bleed is before I started researching about this monitor.

Did you keep asking for replacements until you found one you're happy with? And is the one you're happy with much better than mine?

ive sold mine last month becaus i got the pg348q. it was not much better than yours, all of those screens have ips glow somehow, the asus and the acer's too. ive tried both. its just like that, either accept it or wait until a new screen hits the market. ive had several acer and asus screens for testing and they all had it in either the left or right bottom corner. its kind of unacceptable to have this at the price theyre going for but its like that. you cant change it. if youre going to return it just make sure your reseller has a good return policy. they might change it once, but if the second screen is even worse youre screwed since thats officialy not a reason to rma it. if you can see it only on a black screen i wouldnt care personally. you can find problems in anything if youre looking for them...

Fire Strike Score

32 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

ive sold mine last month becaus i got the pg348q. it was not much better than yours, all of those screens have ips glow somehow, the asus and the acer's too. ive tried both. its just like that, either accept it or wait until a new screen hits the market. ive had several acer and asus screens for testing and they all had it in either the left or right bottom corner. its kind of unacceptable to have this at the price theyre going for but its like that. you cant change it. if youre going to return it just make sure your reseller has a good return policy. they might change it once, but if the second screen is even worse youre screwed since thats officialy not a reason to rma it. if you can see it only on a black screen i wouldnt care personally. you can find problems in anything if youre looking for them...

Yeah that's what I don't understand, I've always used cheap to mid range monitor and never had a problem, the most expensive one I had before this was about US$450, yet on this AU$1199 (around US$900) top tier monitor it's a known issue? I just don't understand how.

I've only used the monitor very briefly, so I guess I'll use it for a few more days and play some different games to decide if it's really that bad.

Just found another picture that I took, you can't notice any bleed around the corners where it's black, but probably just because the room was too bright to notice it. (The glow on the top is a reflection of the light coming from the window)

12380973_10153325141096193_1465214915_o.jpg

It looks fine to me, nothing too obvious.

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

Took another photo from a slightly better angle and further away. Should I return this? Am I likely to get a replacement that's better than this? :(

IMAG0281.jpg