Samsung SSD's

PeggersXtreme

hi

Someone just told me I shouldn't be using Samsung 840 evo's for raid is this correct, I wasn't warned of this 7 months ago when I first bought the parts and this is the first I have heard that these drives aren't suitable for raid.

Can Anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Looks like you have 4 in raid 0 in your pc. 

I've never heard that there is an issue with using them in RAID. Most people use physical disks due to the larger storage size. Who told you that you should not use SSDs in raid and what is their source of information?

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

1 minute ago, Papakuma said:

Looks like you have 4 in raid 0 in your pc. 

I've never heard that there is an issue with using them in RAID. Most people use physical disks due to the larger storage size. Who told you that you should not use SSDs in raid and what is their source of information?

It was on another forum I asked about my motherboard having issues and they pointed out that it isn't recommended to raid the Samsung 840 Evo SSD's as Samsung apparently doesn't recommend it they didn't provide a source though. I bought 4 250gb because I got a great deal on them much cheaper than a single 1tb one and I could achieve pretty good speeds of 1600mb/s reads 1200mb/s writes but on my new motherboard one or two for the drives kept dropping out of the array which wasn't an issue on my old msi motherboard and the motherboard kept freezing when posting after a restart so that led to people suggesting it could be my raid.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Personally I prefere Intel SSD's for running in raid arrays because they have consistent performance so they function the way they're possible to function constantly without any degrading performance. This is especially important when you're running drives in raid because you have data being striped across two or more drives. 

10 hours ago, l_zheng101 said:

Personally I prefere Intel SSD's for running in raid arrays because they have consistent performance so they function the way they're possible to function constantly without any degrading performance. This is especially important when you're running drives in raid because you have data being striped across two or more drives. 

I probably would have gone for intel if I didn't already have two samsung ssd's sat in my drawer. Another thing that concerns me about the 840 evo drives now is that I have read that old files 2 weeks to a month or so old read at really slow speeds of 60mb/s :o

Custom PC:

12 hours ago, PeggersXtreme said:

hi

Someone just told me I shouldn't be using Samsung 840 evo's for raid is this correct, I wasn't warned of this 7 months ago when I first bought the parts and this is the first I have heard that these drives aren't suitable for raid.

Can Anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Do you have four Samsung 840 Evo SSDs or four 850 Evo SSD's?  You signature indicates 850s, but you are talking about 840s?

Anyways, I have never heard of this issue and I wouldn't worry about it all.  For every possible configuration, there is a person that has had issues with it.  I'm not a big fan of people who tell others that they shouldn't, but can't articulate why.

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 1:24 PM, done12many2 said:

Do you have four Samsung 840 Evo SSDs or four 850 Evo SSD's?  You signature indicates 850s, but you are talking about 840s?

Anyways, I have never heard of this issue and I wouldn't worry about it all.  For every possible configuration, there is a person that has had issues with it.  I'm not a big fan of people who tell others that they shouldn't, but can't articulate why.

oops yeah I have 850's not 840's Sorry about that :D I guess mine are ok then cause Samsung addressed the issue on the 850's but there were several articles about the 840's having an issue with being slow on old files :/ 

Custom PC:

I am using 4 samsung 850 evo in raid 0 , imo it's fine if you got trim, haven't noticed any issue.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.