Cheapest upgradable pc

Ok so i'm in a situation where my mom needs a pc ASAP, but doesn't have much money to spend; under $300. However, in a few months, I would like to upgrade the system with ~$300-~400 worth of parts (i.e. more ram, graphics card, etc.) Here are the requirements:

The best you can get for under $300 excluding Graphics Card, upgraded CPU cooler, peripherals, no need for more than 4gb RAM, but mobo must have at least 4 ram slots to upgrade to 16gb in the future. Also, the smaller the case/form factor the better.

I Don't mind buying used if you want to do some digging on ebay or whatever. as long as it doesn't look super sketchy lol

Just now, Senzelian said:

Why do you want to upgrade later on to higher specs?
For Gaming?

yes i've been lugging my gaming pc back and forth between my parent's houses and it gets annoying. So yes, i want to eventually turn it into a gaming pc.

Yeah I think that's probably the best idea.
He can upgrade to an i5 later on, has a solid PSU for even high end graphics cards and enough space on that 1TB drive for all his games.

Yeah the 550 watt PSU should also be enough for even a 390, although 650 watts might be a bit more comfortable. 

1 minute ago, Rolfejc said:

Yeah the 550 watt PSU should also be enough for even a 390, although 650 watts might be a bit more comfortable. 

The 550 would be enough for a Titan X.
Even a 450 can handle a 390 :P

The 550 would be enough for a Titan X.
Even a 450 can handle a 390 :P

True, the 550 watt unit will do then :) 

since your willing to look at used hardware i would try to find something used that give you a little more performance than a Pentium 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/