RAM not compatible

Hello people

So a few days ago my PC decided to take a massive poop on my week and stop working properly.

What was happening?

Bluescreens, instant shutdowns without blue screens and the computer was difficult to start, it was hanging on boot and all sorts of grief.

What was wrong I hear you ask? 

Turns out that my relatively cheap RAM that I got in August is not actually compatible with my motherboard according to the QVL or as the good people from Scan have informed me the memory controller, which is part of the CPU.

Currently the PC runs while on stock, and the RAM is below its XMP profile of 3GHz but, in honesty that has not affected things too much. Games still run, day to day tasks run fine on the PC.

So why did I make this post?

A couple reasons

1. if anyone could help me get the XMP profile working reliably, that would be great. I mean moHz moPowa right?
  2. to serve as a warning to those buying hardware. Honestly, I didn't check the QVL until after buying, and I honestly wouldn't have paid it much attention, I mean the price was what really appealed to me at the time. But do check, double check, triple check and even get other opinions when it comes to things like this as it really sucks buying something that doesn't work the way you thought it would. Especially if you cannot afford to simply buy something different at the drop of a coin, like myself.

Hope this helps, and if you may know what I can do about this feel free to reply

wtf i dont understand why wouldnt it be compatible. corsair is a reputable ram company and is commonly bought

If the RAM works at lower speeds and the computer is stable, I'd just leave it at that. If you're using the computer for gaming and general computer stuff, not specific tasks which benefit heavily from fast RAM, you've pretty much solved your problem. 

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

wtf i dont understand why wouldnt it be compatible. corsair is a reputable ram company and is commonly bought

beats me dude, when I was picking I thought the same, Corsair = reliable along with the motherboard supports DDR4 3GHz, the RAM is DDR4 3GHz. And from what I've been told is the issue is with the memory controller itself.

Honestly this may not be the end all answer to the issue but I thought I'd throw this thread up to get some help on it.

1 hour ago, Matt100HP said:

If the RAM works at lower speeds and the computer is stable, I'd just leave it at that. If you're using the computer for gaming and general computer stuff, not specific tasks which benefit heavily from fast RAM, you've pretty much solved your problem. 

For the time being, I will be leaving it at that. TBH I doubt I'll even OC as my CPU and setup seem fine as is.

In future I plan to upgrade CPU (hopefully with a better i7) and RAM (16GB will be fine) but when I originally bought this kit, I was hoping I could just buy it again and have my 16GB @ 3GHz but I guess I'll have to buy a kit on the QVL

Edited by colonel_mortis
Fixed for night theme