Age old question: Intel or AMD?!

saqwerty

Hey everyone. I want to build a computer and needed some advice/upgrades you guys could offer me. My budget right now is ~$500. The thing is though, I dont want just a gaming rig...I want a pc thats kinda more balanced out.

Its gonna be my primary computer (no current desktop) and replace my laptop at home. I want a computer that would be able to handle any day-to-day stuff and the occasional more intensive stuff without any hiccups or without me being like maybe i shouldnt have focused so much on making it a gaming computer cause now its suffering elsewhere. So I wanna kinda dont want to take away too much from like the processor or anything. Also I need it to be pretty functional.

Functionality and it making things more efficient for me are one of the highest priorities. Things like USB 3.1 (type A and/or C) or good audio outputs  (bit of an audiophile), etc are things i would like it to have, which is why the motherboard is something im struggling with. Like I want it to be a functional and efficient desktop first, and then be a gaming pc second. Like initially I was thinking of buying a console, but i decided why not just put a little bit more money in and actually build a proper pc. I havent gamed in a long time so i need to catch up with quite a few games like the phantom pain so i was hoping a pc would be a good option to do that.

Im however not picky about having everything on ultra and stuff. I wouldnt mind decent graphics, seeing as there might not be any other way for me to even play the games at all. The only reason I would like to have something that could handle better graphics would be to increase the longevity of me being able to play games in the future as well without having to upgrade too much...but if a couple of years down the line i have to turn the settings to medium/low, thats fine by me. Also even though Im planning a dual monitor setup, Im not going as far to say dual monitor gaming, i dont mind gaming in 1080p, or even 720p tbh, so theres flexibility there. The reason for me wanting to keep my budget within the $500 range is cause i want to buy dual monitors and id have to get random accessories as well like a mouse and stuff, so i need some money there as well.  

And so ive come up with 2 potential builds, one AMD and one intel, so I was just wondering if you guys had any opinions on the matter.

AMD BUILD:  
NZXT s340        65
AMD FX6300        99
MSI 970A ATX        70
GTX 950              150
8GB RAM            38
1TB HDD            54
EVGA 500W        35

TOTAL            $511

INTEL BUILD:
NZXT s34        65
Intel 6400        180
GB Z170XP        136
Kingston 8GB        40
1TB HDD            54
EVGA 500W        35

TOTAL            $508

All US Dollars. Planning on ordering most things off amazon, because its easier for me and i find their prices alright.

AMD build: My biggest problem with the amd stuff is that the processors are like 3-4 years old, the motherboard is outdated. I feel like not only will that make it take a hit on performance and functionality, but it narrows down any future upgrade pathway too. Pros, obv that theres a gpu in there and its still the same price as the intel build.

Intel build: I know the intel build doesnt have a graphics card. I figure with the integrated graphics, I could get away for the time being. So it wouldnt be a gaming pc for the time being (maybe some light gaming), which would be a little bit of a let down, but within a few months i could get the money to put a gpu in. Note however, the gpu would also be in like the $150 range (like the ~gtx 950) or less, because I wouldnt be able to afford something higher end. Just adds more to the cost and stuff though which i dont like putting in, but if i need to like i can get by. My worry with the intel build is that im underestimating the amd cpu's and motherboard in day to day stuff and functionality over the newer intel stuff.

PS: It posted without me finishing writing this up so sorry for anyone who reads this before i finish typing it up.

Comparing the i5 6400 to the FX 6300, the i5 is simply better. But you haven't even got a graphic card in the second build, so I would get a i3 6100(still a bit faster in many games) and a GTX 950 instead. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The Intel iGPU is useless in most games. If you want to game, unless you are planning to put a discrete GPU on the Intel system, it's not worth it.

Go for the AMD build with the discrete GPU. You could also consider the R7 370 for a full-on AMD system and better DX12/Vulkan performance.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Honestly man, if you're on a low budget AMD is the way to go. If you got money definitely Intel, it's as simple as that. I recommend the AMD FX6300 great budget CPU 

Sorry guys. It just posted without me finishing at first. Edited and done with the post now, explained in quite a bit (probably too much) detail kinda what im looking for. Everywhere i look (youtube mainly) i find budget gaming builds, but i feel like very few people really focus on more of a functional and balanced build guide anymore, so hopefully this will help other people looking for a more functional/kinda gamer also budget build.

20 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Comparing the i5 6400 to the FX 6300, the i5 is simply better. But you haven't even got a graphic card in the second build, so I would get a i3 6100(still a bit faster in many games) and a GTX 950 instead. 

And the i3 wouldnt be too much of a hit on day-to-day functioning? Like i wouldnt notice too much of a bother on a dual monitor setup?

The problem with even switching to an i3 6100 is that itll save me like $60, which isnt enough on its own to get a gpu, so i would have to put in more money, or again wait till i have enough for a gpu, in which case i might as well just stick with the i5, no?

21 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

Could you squeeze by with this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9jCtVn

I actually like that build a lot. Which also brings another question i was unsure about, how much of a difference does it make to have an older intel cpu gen like the i5 4460 compared to like a i5 6400. What would i be losing out on?

Well if you are this concerned, you can wait out for Zen to see if they are any good. Other than that, there is nothing much better on AMD's offerings right now.

The i3 would be quite limiting for modern games and future games. Dual Core, no Turbo, no Hyper Threading. Doesn't bode well for the future. That's why everyone recommends even the lowest end i5 from Intel.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Here's a build for less than $1000 CAD, tax included:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($155.91 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer A11 74.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($35.22 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($76.77 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($67.67 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($107.63 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($302.65 @ shopRBC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($48.57 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($72.88 @ Vuugo)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($50.83 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $918.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 04:34 EDT-0400

7 minutes ago, saqwerty said:

And the i3 wouldnt be too much of a hit on day-to-day functioning? Like i wouldnt notice too much of a bother on a dual monitor setup?

The problem with even switching to an i3 6100 is that itll save me like $60, which isnt enough on its own to get a gpu, so i would have to put in more money, or again wait till i have enough for a gpu, in which case i might as well just stick with the i5, no?

Your not supposed to get a Z170 board with a non overclockable CPU, that's why your intel build is so expensive! Get a cheaper B150 board. 

Also I don't think the FX 6300 will fare much better in day to day, it's so old now and in due for a upgrade.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, saqwerty said:

I actually like that build a lot. Which also brings another question i was unsure about, how much of a difference does it make to have an older intel cpu gen like the i5 4460 compared to like a i5 6400. What would i be losing out on?

Well the reason I switched from a 6400 to a 4460 is the 6400 is clocked at 2.7ghz and that is a really low clock speed. You can compare the two here http://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz / http://ark.intel.com/products/88185/Intel-Core-i5-6400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

You can use my build, and step down the GPU from an R9 380 to an R7 370. Also exclude the wireless card if not needed. That would put you at ~800 CAD, tax included.

6 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

You can use my build, and step down the GPU from an R9 380 to an R7 370. Also exclude the wireless card if not needed. That would put you at ~800 CAD, tax included.

I agree. I just changed the graphics card and case on your build. Looks pretty solid. Did you actually make that build? If so, any feedback on how it runs for more cpu intensive tasks and if you overclocked it?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CGM63C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CGM63C/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer A11 74.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($22.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($49.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 370 4GB Video Card  ($129.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $519.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 04:48 EDT-0400

18 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Here's a build for less than $1000 CAD, tax included:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($76.77 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($67.67 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($107.63 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($302.65 @ shopRBC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($72.88 @ Vuugo)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($50.83 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $918.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 04:34 EDT-0400

Psu is bad 

WD Black with a budget build??

He only has around $500 not $700+

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

5 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

Psu is bad 

WD Black with a budget build??

He only has around $500 not $700+

Is this better, changed the hdd to cut some costs too?

But whats wrong with the psu? I thought EVGA was supposed to be good?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($49.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($37.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $488.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 05:00 EDT-0400

28 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Your not supposed to get a Z170 board with a non overclockable CPU, that's why your intel build is so expensive! Get a cheaper B150 board. 

Also I don't think the FX 6300 will fare much better in day to day, it's so old now and in due for a upgrade.

Wow. I chose the Z170 cause i thought it would increase functionality, but i think youre totally right on getting a B150 instead. And then if i downgrade to an i3, it gives me enough room to throw a gpu in there. Impressive. So the intel build looks like this

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card  ($124.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $516.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 05:05 EDT-0400

20 minutes ago, saqwerty said:

Is this better, changed the hdd to cut some costs too?

But whats wrong with the psu? I thought EVGA was supposed to be good?

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($37.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $488.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 05:00 EDT-0400

Thats the same hdd I put in it earlier? EVGA is a very good brand to buy psu's from but its the series you need to watch out for. There are bad psu series that a good company puts out so they cost less. The thing about that psu is its on tier 6 which is very bad. I am refrencing this from the topic below. So if you were to put the good psu in there the total would come out to $513 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KmpNXL so why not just buy the other build I linked since its only $56 more and is better. The reason its better is that I used intel and intel is always better then AMD cpu's. Even if I were to mess with the AMD build it would still only be $60 cheaper. So it would be worth it to just spend the extra $60 and go with intel. You also said you liked that build.

I didn't make that build, sorry. Just made it for people who want to game on for less money, but I would buy this build if I needed a gaming PC for less. Anything lower than this, and the performance goes waaay down. Switch the PSU from the EVGA 500W to an Antec VP450.

I chose WD Black instead of Blue, because the HDD would be your slowest part in the system. So I wanted to give it that extra boost in speed. But if you want, you can step down to a WD Caviar Blue. The price difference between them is ~15 CAD. Also you can decide to get a 500GB disk instead of 1TB. That will save you another ~15 CAD. It's upto you.

Here's the updated list with the HDD all the way down to a Caviar Blue 500GB and the wireless card excluded. Just for clarification, this is the final price in CAD, after taxes.

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($55.23 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 370 2GB NITRO OC Video Card  ($237.97 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply  ($52.11 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $729.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 13:34 EDT-0400

Edited by Shahnewaz