[Advice Needed] Long Lasting Skylake Build.

foreign-

I know they are cheaper but still didn't answer the question why R9 Fury (not X) over lets say GTX 980... People on the other forum also suggested to go with AMD Fury but no one tells why exactly they are making such suggestions. I would understand if they say "get R9 Fury but not GTX 980 if you need GSync/FreeSync monitor since FreeSync is a cheaper option..."

17 minutes ago, foreign- said:

I know they are cheaper but still didn't answer the question why R9 Fury (not X) over lets say GTX 980... People on the other forum also suggested to go with AMD Fury but no one tells why exactly they are making such suggestions. I would understand if they say "get R9 Fury but not GTX 980 if you need GSync/FreeSync monitor since FreeSync is a cheaper option..."

Well it's faster than a 980, and DX12, free-sync yadda, yadda

it's better for the money, which is usually the best option overall. especially with the new GPUs so close to coming out

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Yeah, I'm not ready to pay $1500 or so for a flagship pascal card :) 

If I was getting a 1080p monitor I would definitely get gtx 970 or R9 fury instead but for 1440p I think those cards a little too weak considering I'm not planning to upgrade a GPU any time soon.

3 minutes ago, foreign- said:

Yeah, I'm not ready to pay $1500 or so for a flagship pascal card :) 

If I was getting a 1080p monitor I would definitely get gtx 970 or R9 fury instead but for 1440p I think those cards a little too weak considering I'm not planning to upgrade a GPU any time soon.

the 970/390 are already going to be fine for 1440p

aside from that, that's not how PC hardware works man, price stays the same, performance increases

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

It's not my opinion regarding the price of a pascal flagship cards but some trusted reviewers... However, I'm building a PC now so I need a GPU now, there always will be something around the corner and if I always wait for something new to be released I will never buy anything. Obviously, if I had a decent card already I would buy the rest and wait for pascal but its not my case.

Just imagine, in a 3 months comes out GTX 1070 and 1080, you don't buy it and wait for a 1080 Ti, another 3 months later Ti comes out but you obviously don't want a reference card but good custom pcb one, you wait another 3-4 months and then Nvidia Volta is being announced, you jump into forums to ask for an advice whether you should buy 1080 Ti or wait for volta and everything repeats... :D 

BTW, according to all the benchmarks I've seen 970 and R9 Fury are too weak for 2k, at least for my liking...

11 hours ago, Streetguru said:

GPUs have way more performance gains compared to CPUs, usually the next gen top end  GPU is equal to Dual GPUs from the previous top end, at least 20-30% more performance usually.

the 6700K makes no sense to buy most times because the 5820K usually costs as much and gives you more performance, yet another place that money is better spent, as the X99 motherboards add some cost, but then you have a 6 core CPU vs a 4 core, and you can still overclock it should your heart desire, and it makes more sense to OC the 5820K as it only turbos to 3.6ghz. And then you're spending $100 more for probably 20%+ more performance overall.

Well of course not, you have the highest performing GPU, though the goal should be performance per dollar in most cases, because new stuff is always coming out, which is why my build gives fairly comparable performance at a much lower cost, as when you buy more expensive products generally your performance per dollar goes down.

and even if it's highly reviewed, a grey market key is still going to be a grey market key that may be revoked at any time, it may be legitimate technically, but it's an a grey area of the law, and it's basically only a step away from software piracy.

X99 version of your build with most of the other, non performance per dollar stuff, though the hard drive situation is different from yours, given it's comparable cost the 5820K makes a lot more sense than the 6700K if you really want to overclock for some reason.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/R6vkCJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/R6vkCJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (£328.98 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£26.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£218.60 @ More Computers)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£56.24 @ More Computers)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£53.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£40.39 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Tri-X Video Card  (£429.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£36.57 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX TS 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£82.55 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm  Fan  (£15.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Acer XF270HU 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  (£439.98 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K40 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£93.51 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse  (£39.99 @ Ebuyer)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset  (£71.88 @ Aria PC)
Total: £1935.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-22 22:09 GMT+0000

Reveal hidden contents

No matter how much performance increase you get, it would not make sense to spend $430 on a GPU, and then spend an additional $600+ creating a total cost of $1000 for a GPU that will perform 20 - 30% better. It would be a wiser option to buy something like an R9 380 or something cheaper for now, and then spend the money on a decent GPU when it does come out.

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|

4 minutes ago, Rabih.H said:

No matter how much performance increase you get, it would not make sense to spend $430 on a GPU, and then spend an additional $600+ creating a total cost of $1000 for a GPU that will perform 20 - 30% better. It would be a wiser option to buy something like an R9 380 or something cheaper for now, and then spend the money on a decent GPU when it does come out.

That would be assuming you don't sell your old GPU after you get your new one though, and a Fury is still going to push games very well for a 1440p 144hz display

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That would be assuming you don't sell your old GPU after you get your new one though, and a Fury is still going to push games very well for a 1440p 144hz display

GPUs lose a lot of resell value. You would be down at least $100.

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|