Help! Xeon 1231v3 having problems!

Hello LTT! So I've recently built a PC, with an r9 390 & a Xeon1231v3. I just put the Xeon in today. I was using my friends Pentium for about 48 hours, before my xeon arrived. The only game I'd actually tested fps on was minecraft (pls no hate<3), and was running at about 250 fps with the r9 390 and the pentium. I put in the xeon, and am running at about 20 fps... I don't know why. 

Some clarification... Cpu usage around 10%, and I can see all 8 (including hyper threading) cores at 3.4ghz...

I can always return and buy a new one if this is a dud, but any thing I should try first?

Please help! 

Edit: CPU cooler wasn't fully installed, but still only running at about 100 fps. Trying updating bios.

3 minutes ago, HighRez said:

Hello LTT! So I've recently built a PC, with an r9 390 & a Xeon1231v3. I just put the Xeon in today. I was using my friends Pentium for about 48 hours, before my xeon arrived. The only game I'd actually tested fps on was minecraft (pls no hate<3), and was running at about 250 fps with the r9 390 and the pentium. I put in the xeon, and am running at about 20 fps... I don't know why. 

Some clarification... Cpu usage around 10%, and I can see all 8 (including hyper threading) cores at 3.4ghz...

I can always return and buy a new one if this is a dud, but any thing I should try first?

Please help! 

The XEON is at 10 percent usage? maybe its a power delivery issue? maybe XEON's are just trash? also i used to play minecraft for 2 years so no hate xD

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, ProKeero said:

The XEON is at 10 percent usage? maybe its a power delivery issue? maybe XEON's are just trash? also i used to play minecraft for 2 years so no hate xD

Hope this helps :P

10% usage? Are you implying that seems like a weird #? I'm using a evga 500b, so it's notimpossible that power delivery is the problem... and no, I don't think it's just trash -.-

Thanks for the help tho :)

Just now, HighRez said:

10% usage? Are you implying that seems like a weird #? I'm using a evga 500b, so it's notimpossible that power delivery is the problem... and no, I don't think it's just trash -.-

Thanks for the help tho :)

When i play minecraft on my 4690k is uses 50% to 40%. at 300 fps.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

When i play minecraft on my 4690k is uses 50% to 40%. at 300 fps.

Hm... Thanks. It's now running at more like 60fps, wich obv still isn't right, but playable.

What board do you have? Might want to update the bios.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

27 minutes ago, HighRez said:

Please help! 

Edit: Now minecraft is running at near 50 fps.

Check your power delivery, make sure your CPU power is plugged in correctly. Also make sure your motherboard power is in correctly.

And a big one, make sure you seated the cooler properly as it could be thermal throttling. I see that as the biggest possibility here. Use something like MSI Afterburner to see your CPU temps, I think it has an option to do so in the monitoring.

16 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Check your power delivery, make sure your CPU power is plugged in correctly. Also make sure your motherboard power is in correctly.

And a big one, make sure you seated the cooler properly as it could be thermal throttling. I see that as the biggest possibility here. Use something like MSI Afterburner to see your CPU temps, I think it has an option to do so in the monitoring.

Great! Thank you. That seems like a possibility, as the cpu cooler was being a bit weird.

19 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Can't remember atm. Asus. That definately seems like a possibility as well! Thanks :)

38 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Well... CPU cooler wasn't correctly installed! Thats good news! Bad news... still only about 100 fps. Trying everything else now.

1 minute ago, HighRez said:

Well... CPU cooler wasn't correctly installed! Thats good news! Bad news... still only about 100 fps. Trying everything else now.

What CPU cooler are you using?

54 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

B85M-G R.2

From what I've found no bios update is needed, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help.

40 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

What CPU cooler are you using?

Just a stock :/ but still, pentium shouldn't outperform.

1 hour ago, HighRez said:

B85M-G R.2

From what I've found no bios update is needed, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help.

I wonder if they pulled a Gigabyte and made crap revision 2 of B85 boards too. Gigabyte's Revision 2 B85 boards had some real throttling problems, and you went up from a 53W cpu to an 80W one.

The fact that you were only getting 3.4 GHz on each core sounds bad, my E3-1231v3 never goes below 3.6 GHz on quadcore loads on either of the boards I have used with it (Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V and MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition).

19 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Out of curiosity, what's your CPU score when you run Firestrike?

Haven't tried Firestrike... Thought it cost $? Maybe I'm wrong? I got around 720 on cinebench which from what I hear is decent. And 3.4 is the baseclock... If thats what its at, how are you getting 3.6?

Sorry if I'm a noob ;-; 

Edit: Nevermind, Found the free version of FireStrike, I'll let you know when its done running :)

13 minutes ago, HighRez said:

Haven't tried Firestrike... Thought it cost $? Maybe I'm wrong? I got around 720 on cinebench which from what I hear is decent. And 3.4 is the baseclock... If thats what its at, how are you getting 3.6?

Sorry if I'm a noob ;-; 

Edit: Nevermind, Found the free version of FireStrike, I'll let you know when its done running :)

My 1231v3 runs at the quadcore turbo under quadcore loads with both motherboards I have tried it on (one is H81, the other Z97). I would expect somewhere around 10,000 for the cpu test in Firestrike.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

My 1231v3 runs at the quadcore turbo under quadcore loads with both motherboards I have tried it on (one is H81, the other Z97). I would expect somewhere around 10,000 for the cpu test in Firestrike.

Ah, how do I check what it's running at with turbo?

17 minutes ago, HighRez said:

Ah, how do I check what it's running at with turbo?

Download CPU-Z and Prime95. You can use CPU-Z to check your current clockspeed. Open up CPU-Z and then run Prime95 SmallFFT. Your cpu should register as running at 3.6 GHz under such a load. When you close Prime95 do it by clicking Stop from the Test menu like I have shown though. If you click the red x on the top right of the window to close it, it will just run in the background. And Prime95 puts a 100% load on all cores the whole time. Just run it for a few seconds and stop it, and then click Exit.

3zrE13U.png

Don't be alarmed if your core speed shows up as 800 MHz when you're not doing much. Modern CPUs downclock to lower frequencies to save power when not under load, and this is a good thing. If you're ever downclocking when under load something is wrong with either your cpu, board, or cooling though.

Also, how fucking badass is that seeing a Xeon running Prime95 at  only 1.019V? I fucking love this cpu. God I wish it was overclockable, it looks like it would have some really serious headroom. My Pentium G3258 ran at 1.075V stock at 3.2 GHz, and it was a very strong overclocker for a G3258.

Dunno if it is the solution but asus'website says the xeon 1231 is validated with bios 0304 on this mobo. Check your biosversion and report to us. If so, simply update bios. Also check the supportsite of asus because some xeon features are not supported.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85MG_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/

Last possibility: If you have a spraycan of paint, spray the name "linus" on the pcb and put it in the oven. Pray to the intelgods and try again.B|

9 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Also, how fucking badass is that seeing a Xeon running Prime95 at  only 1.019V? I fucking love this cpu. God I wish it was overclockable, it looks like it would have some really serious headroom. My Pentium G3258 ran at 1.075V stock at 3.2 GHz, and it was a very strong overclocker for a G3258.

Got 10153 for physics.

https://gyazo.com/5ac4d30a293ba51488a6bd9696f3ffae <- results

5 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Dunno if it is the solution but asus'website says the xeon 1231 is validated with bios 0304 on this mobo. Check your biosversion and report to us. If so, simply update bios.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85MG_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/

I'll check it out :)

Really, based on general benchmarking, I don't think my cpu is having a problem... Maybe minecraft? It's results on benchmarks make sence, but not in minecraft. Still haven't been able to try to many other games, but it seems fine. I'll go check about bios tho.