What mobo?

MiniNinja6

So I have never put together the parts list for a cheaper, non-gaming computer so I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm building a computer for my mom for word processing and internet browsing. I think I'm looking at an i3-4170, 4gb of decent RAM, and a cx430 psu put into a cheap mid tower. But I have no idea what motherboard to get. It needs to be micro atx, but I have no idea what chipset to get for this type of pc or how much money should be spent on the mobo. What are your guys' thoughts? Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

h87?

H87 chipset boards cost less, but will perform the same as h87 boards. For a build like yours, any board that suits your needs at ~$60-70 should do it.

My native language is C++

Gigabyte H81M-S2H would be a good choice.

1 minute ago, Chazz said:

Gigabyte H81M-S2H would be a good choice.

if its a pentium build but i would recommend a motherboard that is a little better for a i3 build

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

if its a pentium build but i would recommend a motherboard that is a little better for a i3 build

A motherboard doesn't change anything, it's just features that come with pricier motherboards. He would be fine with what was suggested.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Just now, Kyle Manning said:

H87 chipset boards cost less, but will perform the same as h87 boards

somehow it sounds weird but makes sense

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Aleksbgbg said:

A motherboard doesn't change anything, it's just features that come with pricier motherboards. He would be fine with what was suggested.

h81 motherboard power delivery sketches me out and ive heard a lot about them dying

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

somehow it sounds weird but makes sense

he is making a true statement also he might be trying to say h87 motherboards will perform the same as a z87 motherboard if its a non overclocking cpu

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

h81 motherboard power delivery sketches me out and ive heard a lot about them dying

Rabbits also die from sketchy power delivery when they jump into an electric fence.

Anyway, there could be a lot of user problems with those, i.e. incorrect plugging in of the 24 pin and so on. It can cause problems as the pins short-circuit. The reason why you wouldn't hear that about Z170s, X99s etc. is because those are built by enthusiasts which know their stuff, as they probably burn out a few h81 motherboards themselves ^_^

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Rabbits also die from sketchy power delivery when they jump into an electric fence.

Anyway, there could be a lot of user problems with those, i.e. incorrect plugging in of the 24 pin and so on. It can cause problems as the pins short-circuit. The reason why you wouldn't hear that about Z170s, X99s etc. is because those are built by enthusiasts which know their stuff, as they probably burn out a few h81 motherboards themselves ^_^

i guess if you really want to but in my opinion you dont really save that much money and along with better power you get stuff like more sata ports and pcie ports with h87

Just now, spartaman64 said:

i guess if you really want to but in my opinion you dont really save that much money and along with better power you get stuff like more sata ports and pcie ports with h87

k

lot of user problems with those

orrrrrr just sht power delivery

Spoiler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I certainly think that I am capable of plugging everything in correctly :D, but I will probably get an h87 board. It's weird to think that I'm getting a motherboard for less money than the RAM in my gaming computer :O, but that was also a while ago when RAM was much more expensive. Thanks for the help guys!