Ps4 unified memory vs 8gbs ram + latest gpu

Chivpcgamer

Whats the deal? Is ps4 being overhyped or is it actually a well thought system that will give a high end pc a run for its money?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

will give a high end pc a run for its money?

will Linus post his build update tomorrow?

For $400, you can't beat it, but a computer will always be the better option if you have money to burn.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

will Linus post his build update tomorrow?

(years)

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

For $400, you can't beat it, but a computer will always be the better option if you have money to burn.

yes you can beat it ... whoa whoa

Maybe for now, but in a year or 2 it PCs will be beat it

Maybe for now, but in a year or 2 it PCs will be beat it

Oh yeah, no doubt.  I'm pretty sure the next gen APU's will be more powerful and cheaper.  But something that includes the OS, Wireless, and input devices for $400, you just can't beat it.

Oh yeah, no doubt. I'm pretty sure the next gen APU's will be more powerful and cheaper. But something that includes the OS, Wireless, and input devices for $400, you just can't beat it.

But is it worth getting the next amd gpu (9970 or whatever its gonna be named) or should i spend that cash on the ps4?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

But is it worth getting the next amd gpu (9970 or whatever its gonna be named) or should i spend that cash on the ps4?

Depends on what kind of computer you have now.

a high end pc a run for its money?

lmfao

whats wrong with you?  The ps4 won't even beat out 650 sli much less a couple titans 

go to bed @Chivpcgamer you're drunk. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

PC vs Console there is no such thing it is so unfair...

of course console is 10x times better

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Depends on what kind of computer you have now.

He has a gtx580, and he's asking that question...

lmfao

whats wrong with you? The ps4 won't even beat out 650 sli much less a couple titans

go to bed @Chivpcgamer you're drunk.

650sli aint exactly weak.. All im wondering is should i bother getting new gpu or spend the money on a ps4

you can get pretty close,and beat out something slightly more expensive like the XBone in price and much more in performance.

FX 6300 - $119.99 (-$40 microcenter)

ASUS M5A78L-M LX - $54.99

EVGA 500 watt - $44.99

Wintec 8GB (2x4GB kit) - $54.99

Seagate momentus 750GB - $49.99

Zotac GTX 760 - $236.99

the total price was $517.93,and without the microcenter discount it'd be $557.93,though either way that would give you quite a bit more power than both the XBone and the PS4,as well as the ability to not only use the computer for games but also for some 3D modeling and video editing/Image composition.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

He has a gtx580, and he's asking that question...

gtx 580 has less compute power than a ps4 and cant max games out these days

I'd say the HD 9970 would be a great upgrade.

it should double the performance of the GTX 580 you currently have,so you should have no issues maxing out nearly (I'm sure there will be one such title) any game at most resolutions up to 2560x1600 at playable fps.

Though if you know a lot of friends that are buying PS4 and PS4 has exclusive titles that you want,it might be the better choice for you.

gtx 580 has less compute power than a ps4 and cant max games out these days 

@Chivpcgamer

a slightly overclocked GTX 580 is about on par with a PS4/XBone IRL,occasionally one will beat out the other.....but they're pretty close.

because the PS4 has a gpu,if i recall correctly that is about on par with the HD 7850,and the XBone closer to the HD 7790

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

650sli aint exactly weak.. All im wondering is should i bother getting new gpu or spend the money on a ps4

well that is a question only you can answer, which do you prefer? pc or console.. maybe you want this investment to last a good 5-7 years, it's completely your choice, no one can answers for you !

#LESBOBRICKS

well that is a question only you can answer, which do you prefer? pc or console.. maybe you want this investment to last a good 5-7 years, it's completely your choice, no one can answers for you !

I very much prefer the pc, but graphical reasons are my main love of pcs and hate to feel like a mug spending loads of money and some guy down the road playing his cheaper ps4 has equal graphics lol

I'd say the HD 9970 would be a great upgrade.

it should double the performance of the GTX 580 you currently have,so you should have no issues maxing out nearly (I'm sure there will be one such title) any game at most resolutions up to 2560x1600 at playable fps.

Though if you know a lot of friends that are buying PS4 and PS4 has exclusive titles that you want,it might be the better choice for you.

a slightly overclocked GTX 580 is about on par with a PS4/XBone IRL,occasionally one will beat out the other.....but they're pretty close.

Yeah will go for the 9970 then, i really wanna stick with pc but hate spending loads and not getting much better performance than mr console guy : )

Yeah will go for the 9970 then, i really wanna stick with pc but hate spending loads and not getting much better than mr console guy : )

Confused.........

you said going for the HD 9970,then said that you aren't sticking with PC.

did you mean going for the PS4?

Also you could go for something like the HD 9950 instead,should be equal price with PS4 and perform near the HD 9970,or the R9 285 [ what it should be called officially].

Linus Sebastian said:

Confused.........

you said going for the HD 9970,then said that you aren't sticking with PC.

did you mean going for the PS4?

Lol no i am sticking with pc but my point is if i spend alot on the latest gpu i wanna get better performance than a ps4

Whats the deal? Is ps4 being overhyped or is it actually a well thought system that will give a high end pc a run for its money?

Look at what Sony's in house developers did with the PS3's limited RAM and cell CPU, and then give those companies basically 10 times that power...

Imagine if The Last of Us only looked twice as good. Now realize that the reality is that Naughty Dog's games (Uncharted 4 FTW) will now be able to be about 3 times as beautiful.

Think of this analogy. Sony buys a bunch of basal wood and gives it to Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog then turns around and makes a structurally sound 2 story house. That is what they have working for them. I think the whole outrage over the RAM is stupid. Specs only go so far. I think what makes a great game is gameplay, then script, story, acting, then graphics, then music.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Look at what Sony's in house developers did with the PS3's limited RAM and cell CPU, and then give those companies basically 10 times that power...

Imagine if The Last of Us only looked twice as good. Now realize that the reality is that Naughty Dog's games (Uncharted 4 FTW) will now be able to be about 3 times as beautiful.

Think of this analogy. Sony buys a bunch of basal wood and gives it to Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog then turns around and makes a structurally sound 2 story house. That is what they have working for them. I think the whole outrage over the RAM is stupid. Specs only go so far. I think what makes a great game is gameplay, then script, story, acting, then graphics, then music.

Yeah good point actually