Heatsink question for Kraken G10 and R9 390 nitro

I decided to put Kraken G10 and Kraken X31 on my R9 390 nitro with backplate.

But I would like to ask if I also need heatsinks and where do I need to apply them.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/akasa-ak-vmc01-bk-vga-ram-heatsinks

Would those heatsinks from EKWB do nice job or do I need something else also?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Apply them to the VRMs and power delivery.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

18 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

The G10 uses the fan to cool the vram and stuff.

well right now I have stock cooler on my GPU and VRM temperature 1 goes up to 85°C after 10min of 100% load, temperature 2 goes up to 80°C.

So I'm worried that after there won't be anything on it, just that fan wouldn't be good enough to cool it down.

8 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

Apply them to the VRMs and power delivery.

Can you mark on picture where do I need to apply them, and how many of them?

I'm new into GPU water cooling and realy don't wanna mess something up :) 

That's picture I found on EKWB page, so I think that's correct layout. I haven't dissasembled my GPU yet because I haven't received all parts for it anyway. Just wanna be prepared before I get it :) 

56ed89171f948_Sapphire-Radeon-R9-390-Nit

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I believe the thermal pads around the GPU core cover the VRMs

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Summoning @Faceman he'll help you.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Did you use the right thermal pads for the right bit?? as there are different thickness thermal pads. So if you put the wrong ones on it you will end up running things hot.

2 hours ago, danrey84 said:

Did you use the right thermal pads for the right bit?? as there are different thickness thermal pads. So if you put the wrong ones on it you will end up running things hot.

I didn't use anything yet, as I'm waiting for my G10 to acctually arrive. Meanwhile I did watch tons of videos about G10 instalation and I think that I won't be needing shim for GPU core. At least that's waht it looks like.

About VRM I found info on web that it could also run at 120°C and still wouldn't dammage card, but I will try to keep it under 90°C.

Since EKWB is acctually in my country, I will contact them if I can go presonally buy those heatsinks for all the VRAM around gpu core + other places where stock cooler had thermal compound.

But another question about fan ... I see that GPU have differend connector for fan, so that 92mm won't be able to connect there.

Does GPU need to have fan conected on it's board or I could just connect that 3pin on motherboard?

Any advice about that?

WD My Cloud 4TB

The cable which runs from the pump on the AIO and the cable which goes from the fan which is over the VRM's and stuff like that use an adapter for those which can plug straight into a molex and have them running at full speed all the time. Then the fan which you attach to the radiator you can then plug into a spare system fan header on your mobo. that is 1 way to go

10 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I didn't use anything yet, as I'm waiting for my G10 to acctually arrive. Meanwhile I did watch tons of videos about G10 instalation and I think that I won't be needing shim for GPU core. At least that's waht it looks like.

About VRM I found info on web that it could also run at 120°C and still wouldn't dammage card, but I will try to keep it under 90°C.

Since EKWB is acctually in my country, I will contact them if I can go presonally buy those heatsinks for all the VRAM around gpu core + other places where stock cooler had thermal compound.

But another question about fan ... I see that GPU have differend connector for fan, so that 92mm won't be able to connect there.

Does GPU need to have fan conected on it's board or I could just connect that 3pin on motherboard?

Any advice about that?

Another question about those heatsinks: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/akasa-ak-vmc01-bk-vga-ram-heatsinks

In desciption it says that those can be used for ram around gpu only.

Can I buy more of those heatsinks and just cut them in half, or cut from 2 sides to make them smaller, and then use it on other cips on PCB also? like VRM1 and VRM2 and those chips for power or something. Would that work?

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Another question about those heatsinks: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/akasa-ak-vmc01-bk-vga-ram-heatsinks

In desciption it says that those can be used for ram around gpu only.

Can I buy more of those heatsinks and just cut them in half, or cut from 2 sides to make them smaller, and then use it on other cips on PCB also? like VRM1 and VRM2 and those chips for power or something. Would that work?

I wouldn't know about other methods too use them for if I'm honest so I wouldn't feel comfortable in giving you that info. If people have done it then I cant see why not.

2 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

I wouldn't know about other methods too use them for if I'm honest so I wouldn't feel comfortable in giving you that info. If people have done it then I cant see why not.

Will contact EKWB again about those heatsinks xD

I just don't want my GPU to overheat.

Also I guess that after I get G10 on my GPU it won't be safe to OC memory. Core clock shouldn't be problem as long as I don't need to increase voltage. But increasing voltage or vram doesn't seems like good idea on passive cooling xD 

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Will contact EKWB again about those heatsinks xD

I just don't want my GPU to overheat.

Also I guess that after I get G10 on my GPU it won't be safe to OC memory. Core clock shouldn't be problem as long as I don't need to increase voltage. But increasing voltage or vram doesn't seems like good idea on passive cooling xD 

If anything it will be better for overclocking memory as the fan is directly over it. That G10 unit from Kracken is very well regarded unit and does an amazing job

1 hour ago, danrey84 said:

If anything it will be better for overclocking memory as the fan is directly over it. That G10 unit from Kracken is very well regarded unit and does an amazing job

I'm not sure if that's true.

RAM on graphic card is just around GPU core, and fan is not blowing into that. Fan is blowing in some other chips if I'm not mistaken.

There are 16 black chips around GPU core and I think thaty memory. I don't think G10 will take care of cooling that.

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I'm not sure if that's true.

RAM on graphic card is just around GPU core, and fan is not blowing into that. Fan is blowing in some other chips if I'm not mistaken.

There are 16 black chips around GPU core and I think thaty memory. I don't think G10 will take care of cooling that.

Sorry when I look back at this. This is a mistake on my part. The Kracken fan keeps the VRM and other bits cool. Yes some RAM is still exposed and doesn't have a fan directly over it but from the amount of people that have these mods. Clearly there is some good in them as they seem to do a good trade from is said.