opinion on this parts list

S.S.Dragon

*disclaimer (if its needed) this is a modified parts list from (http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/M3dnTW/best-value-bang4buck-console-killer-400-gaming-pc-2016)

i dont need such a massive hard drive. so instead of a small SSD and a huge harddrive. i just went with a slightly bigger SSD. about the same price overall and a few other things 

pcpartpicker.com/p/Y8zXCJ

i wouldnt mind using DDR3 memory, but that motherboard only accepts DDR4. 

not gonna be the best of the best for gaming, but it'll do just fine. im going with an atx mid tower case so i can upgrade later. i got a good paying job, but gotta also save up for a car and the job i have is part time 

Edited by S.S.Dragon
attaching link

2 minutes ago, S.S.Dragon said:

*disclaimer (if its needed) this is a modified parts list from (http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/M3dnTW/best-value-bang4buck-console-killer-400-gaming-pc-2016)

i dont need such a massive hard drive. so instead of a small SSD and a huge harddrive. i just went with a slightly bigger SSD. about the same price overall and a few other things 

pcpartpicker.com/p/Y8zXCJ

i wouldnt mind using DDR3 memory, but that motherboard only accepts DDR4. 

not gonna be the best of the best for gaming, but it'll do just fine. im going with an atx mid tower case so i can upgrade later. i got a good paying job, but gotta also save up for a car and the job i have is part time 

Try going for a bigger SSD if that works in your budget :P. I suggest a 950 because its a bit newer than the 750. And for the amd fanboys i would suggest the r9 285 for the video card if you want.

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($170.80 @ Newegg) 
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $451.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 18:52 EDT-0400

More powerful GPU, 2 more cores on the CPU and better PSU.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Dark 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($170.80 @ Newegg) 
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($26.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $451.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 18:52 EDT-0400

More powerful GPU, 2 more cores on the CPU and better PSU.

again. i'd have to swap out the 1TB hard drive for a smaller SSD. the current machine i use has 500 GB and im not even using a third. so even a 500GB SSD is a bit much. hahaha

2 minutes ago, S.S.Dragon said:

again. i'd have to swap out the 1TB hard drive for a smaller SSD. the current machine i use has 500 GB and im not even using a third. so even a 500GB SSD is a bit much. hahaha

But some smaller capacity drives cost more.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

You really don't need a 212 EVO on a Pentium...

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

You might consider a more powerful cpu using the stock cooler.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.56 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $450.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 19:08 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

15 hours ago, brob said:

You might consider a more powerful cpu using the stock cooler.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.56 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $450.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 19:08 EDT-0400

is the stock cooler going to be enough. so far i like that list the most. its mostly gonna be used for TF2 and the interwebs. 

which would be better, intel dual core or amd quad core?

looks like that  AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor is a laptop cpu? but the intel i3 is desktop but the AMD Athlon is nearly half the price, but about the same thing when it comes to performance. 

4 hours ago, S.S.Dragon said:

is the stock cooler going to be enough. so far i like that list the most. its mostly gonna be used for TF2 and the interwebs. 

which would be better, intel dual core or amd quad core?

Stock cooler is enough for most uses. If the cpu is maxed out for long periods the cooler fan will become annoying. If that starts to be a problem one can always replace it with something quieter.

No easy answer to the cpu question. On paper the cpu are roughly equivalent. The Intel is supports new instructions and other tech. It also has an integrated gpu. For the most part, those offer little immediate benefit in a gaming system. However, actual benchmarks suggest that the i3 is a pretty powerful chip, http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/page4.html. Some of this performance is undoubtedly due to support for PCIe 3.0 and DDR4.

3 minutes ago, brob said:

Stock cooler is enough for most uses. If the cpu is maxed out for long periods the cooler fan will become annoying. If that starts to be a problem one can always replace it with something quieter.

No easy answer to the cpu question. On paper the cpu are roughly equivalent. The Intel is supports new instructions and other tech. It also has an integrated gpu. For the most part, those offer little immediate benefit in a gaming system. However, actual benchmarks suggest that the i3 is a pretty powerful chip, http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/page4.html. Some of this performance is undoubtedly due to support for PCIe 3.0 and DDR4.

my room stays pretty warm though. if the stock cooler is fine, will i need any case fans? or does the case i picked have fans already in them?. 

The Enermax Ostrog comes with 1 fan. The case is well ventilated, so that should be enough for the build. But if it proves insufficient, adding another fan or two is fairly simple.

1 hour ago, brob said:

The Enermax Ostrog comes with 1 fan. The case is well ventilated, so that should be enough for the build. But if it proves insufficient, adding another fan or two is fairly simple.

Alright, thanks. I'll go with that parts list

how about this case instead? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc912kkn1 or http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-nse300kwn1 cause i should have a $15 coolermaster rebate card coming in soon. so i might as well go with a coolermaster case? 

i like the look of the last one of those 2. but theres no reviews on newegg atm. so idk much about it. the first case has 2 case fans

besides looks, the front io ports must be at the top. i dont consider any cases if they arnt on the top. not atm anyway

on that subject. how does rebates work? i bought a coolermaster keyboard&mouse combo ~11 weeks ago, but it was from newegg. does the coolermaster rebate card only work on coolermaster items?

on another topic. im still gonna use the monitor im currrently using. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02158412 i suppose i dont need to change anything?

10 hours ago, S.S.Dragon said:

how about this case instead? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc912kkn1 or http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-nse300kwn1 cause i should have a $15 coolermaster rebate card coming in soon. so i might as well go with a coolermaster case? 

i like the look of the last one of those 2. but theres no reviews on newegg atm. so idk much about it. the first case has 2 case fans

besides looks, the front io ports must be at the top. i dont consider any cases if they arnt on the top. not atm anyway

on that subject. how does rebates work? i bought a coolermaster keyboard&mouse combo ~11 weeks ago, but it was from newegg. does the coolermaster rebate card only work on coolermaster items?

on another topic. im still gonna use the monitor im currrently using. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02158412 i suppose i dont need to change anything?

I don't think the Haf 912 has USB 3.0 ports on its front panel.

The N300 front panel is on the front, at the top.

Monitor is fine. Looks like you will need to use the DVI interface.

On the n300. Where is the power button? Is it the logo at the bottom? I thought it was on top till i found pictures of the top and its not there. Its just usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 with mic and headphone jacks

3 hours ago, S.S.Dragon said:

On the n300. Where is the power button? Is it the logo at the bottom? I thought it was on top till i found pictures of the top and its not there. Its just usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 with mic and headphone jacks

The N300-KWN1 has, left to right: usb 2.0, usb 2.0, microphone, headset, usb 3.0. On the front right near the edge, at the same level as the 3.5" external bay one will find the power and reset buttons.

51 minutes ago, brob said:

The N300-KWN1 has, left to right: usb 2.0, usb 2.0, microphone, headset, usb 3.0. On the front right near the edge, at the same level as the 3.5" external bay one will find the power and reset buttons.

Oh i see it now. Thanks

im planning to use some form of linux for the os.

for the motherboard it says 

"Operating System

Support for Windows 10/8.1 64-bit

Support for Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit"

im assuming i can still use linux?