Tripod for less than €300

Hello my fellow photographers and videographers.

I am looking for a photography tripod for my mirrorless photo camera, mainly for long-exposure evening photography.

I currently own a Fuji X-T10 with an XF 18-55mm zoom lens, I plan on getting a few prime lenses in the future so the tripod doesn't have to be able to carry a full-frame DSLR with a telephoto lens however I still want it to be stable enough to give me sharp images despite a 5-20second shutter-speed.

I'd prefer a ball-head and I'd prefer it to be relatively light as I'd probably carry it around quite a lot in the centre of Dublin city.

As I live in Ireland, I'd prefer to either buy locally or order from the UK.

I know Camera Centre over here has a decent collection of Manfrotto tripods, I know it's a big brand among tripods but is it any good should I look elsewhere to see if I can get more for my money?

Also, would this be alright?

https://www.camera.ie/products/manfrotto-mkbfr1a4b-bh-befree-one-kit

Or should opt for something like this?
https://www.camera.ie/products/manfrotto-mk190xpro3-bh-ball-head-kit

Also, I won't be using this for video at all, so I don't care about video functionality.

I really have no experience with tripods at all, I have never owned one myself.

I know a few of you guys have a lot of experience as pro and long-term photo/video enthusiasts but if anyone, new or highly experienced have any valuable input then I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know in this thread or a private message.

Thank you all in advance.

I'd probably get this Benro as a minimum

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157889-REG/benro_fit19aih0_itrip_aluminum_series_1.html

But if you're willing to spend a little more:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157863-REG/benro_tad18cb1_adventure_8x_carbon_fiber.html

A couple of advantages these models have over the Manfrottos you're considering:

• Benro ballheads use an Arca Swiss style quick release system, so extra plates for that are cheap on eBay.  Manfrotto proprietary QR plate system is usable only on Manfrotto style heads.  Area Swiss is universal and I consider them to be more secure and stable than Manfrotto or Gitzo plates.
  • One of the legs can convert to a monopod.
  • Both models weigh just a bit above 1KG, including the head.
  • If you want to increase the stability of the tripod for long exposure shots, mind you that they are already stable enough for soft breezy day, just lower their center of gravity or add some weights like hanging your backpack from the center joint or lean some rocks/sandbags against the feet.

Here are links to Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benro-FIT19AIH0-iTrip-Tripod-Ballhead/dp/B00YDTXNB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458309297&sr=8-1&keywords=benro+FIT19AIH0+iTrip

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benro-TAD18CB1Adventure-Carbon-Tripod-Ballhead/dp/B0113ODFRG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458309329&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=benro+TAD18CB1+Series+1

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

7 minutes ago, ALwin said:

-snip-

Thanks a ton!
Completely forgot about Benro.

I'd go for the 2 option honestly, but for some reason they don't ship that model to Ireland from Amazon UK, they seem to ship the other models.

How's this for a compromise?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benro-TAD18AIB1-Adventure-Aluminum-Ballhead/dp/B00YEUBCJK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1458309446&sr=8-5&keywords=Benro+TAD18

When you think about buying a tripod, here are things you want to consider:

• Can they support my heaviest setup?
  • How travel friendly are they?
  • How tall are they at the maximum extension?
  • How compact does it fold down to?
  • Often the ability to support the heaviest setup and travel friendly doesn't go hand in hand.  The tripod that can support my heaviest setup is NOT travel friendly at all, but if I am working I will most likely have to take it.  But when I go out on a weekend just to take photos for fun or leisure, I carry less gear so I use my lightweight tripod or just a monopod.
  • Think about what your needs are, you might never need the tallest tripod available or the most robust, heavy duty.  Additionally, the Benro design can be made to reach a very low angle.  Sure it might not have the 90 degree turnable central column, but I have a Manfrotto tripod with that kind of setup and I use it less than 5% of the time.  I'm not taking photos of postage stamps every day. xD 

Think about the gear you normally use and how long you'll be on your feet with that gear in a bag on your back.  So do you want to carry a big heavy tripod or a small lightweight one?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

8 minutes ago, KaptajnKnass said:

Thanks a ton!
Completely forgot about Benro.

I'd go for the 2 option honestly, but for some reason they don't ship that model to Ireland from Amazon UK, they seem to ship the other models.

How's this for a compromise?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Benro-TAD18AIB1-Adventure-Aluminum-Ballhead/dp/B00YEUBCJK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1458309446&sr=8-5&keywords=Benro+TAD18

It's also a good model.  The same model can be found on B&H's website where I think the specifications are easier to read.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157866-REG/benro_tad18aib1_adventure_aluminum_1_tripod.html

EDIT:

Though I am not certain if this particular model converts to a monopod.

The Benro tripods we've mentioned so far, I am 100% certain they can be setup to get a low level shot similar to the Gitzo tripod in this video, if you ever want to be lying on the ground trying to snipe a photo of some wildlife.

Thanks a ton @ALwin,

I think I'll pull the trigger on the TAD18AIB1, it seems to be sturdier than the FIT19AIH0 without too big of a price-bump.

9 minutes ago, KaptajnKnass said:

Thanks a ton @ALwin,

I think I'll pull the trigger on the TAD18AIB1, it seems to be sturdier than the FIT19AIH0 without too big of a price-bump.

I edited some of my previous comments.

Also, don't be in a rush.  It's Friday.  Look around a bit more and see if there are other models.

@ALwin,

I noticed, the monopod function is not too much of a concern to me.

I'll give it some time, don't worry :)

Edit:
What do you think if Sirui by the way?

I just remember I heard about that brand for the first time a couple of months ago.

22 hours ago, KaptajnKnass said:

@ALwin,

I noticed, the monopod function is not too much of a concern to me.

I'll give it some time, don't worry :)

Edit:
What do you think if Sirui by the way?

I just remember I heard about that brand for the first time a couple of months ago.

I just saw your question about Sirui, I have never used or seen their brand in person but judging from the images they seem to be as good as Benro if not better.  Look for some reviews.

Like buying almost every other camera gear, there is almost never something that can be considered the "best".  It's all about what you are willing to spend, your requirements /desires and the compromises you are willing to make.

Just know, a good tripod will last you much longer than any cheap one.  And with brands like Benro, Mefoto, Induro, Sirui making prosumer grade ones at budget prices it doesn't seem like you need to spend a lot to get a good quality one.

Alright, after digging around the web for a bit, I have to admit the 3 Legged Thing Evolution 3 Vyv seems like an incredible deal.

It's light, small and carries a heavy load at an attractive price, packed full of features too.

Watched a few reviews and impression videos of it too, all featuring very positive comments about the 3 Legged Thing tripods.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1129297-REG/3_legged_thing_e3vyv_23mm_punks_vyv.html

1 hour ago, KaptajnKnass said:

snip

3LT is a fantastic brand, I didn't mention them because their models can be just as expensive as high end Gitzo.  Didn't know they offered some stuff for budget level prices.

3 hours ago, ALwin said:

Snip

The Punk line is relatively new and very well received among reviewers it seems.

The specific model I ordered has been revamped with a number of improvement including thicker legs.

It ticked all the boxes for me and there was only 1 left in stock via Amazon (only 2 left from their own webstore) so I decided to pull the trigger.

Thanks for all your valuable input @ALwin, it's much appreciated!