New build - need advice

Deli_SK
Go to solution Solved by Deli_SK,
5 hours ago, Megazero said:

-There's also this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b10750vr , dont worry too much about Gold vs Bronze rating, they are about ... 5% different? It's really neglectable. And if you plan for future SLI you need something about 750W for sure.
- When the 1070 and 1080 come out, they probably will replace the current 970 and 980 place, so it mean ~370E for the 1070 and 570E for 1080 for you. It also mean 970 and 980 will come down in price. IMO, it not worth 200$ or 200E to go from 970 to 980, and since 1070 and 1080 will come out so soon (rumored May or June) I still say you should save ur money by buying a secondhand 950,960 or R9 370,380 for cheap.

-If so get an i5 6600k is totally fine. You have one more option is to go for Xeon, which is basically an i7 without the integrated GPU for the price of an i5. Normally we would suggest it though because should something wrong happen with your GPU, a i5 or i7 with an integrated GPU can still help you run the computer, a Xeon with out iGPU wont be able to display anything.

6 hours ago, Epiclol86 said:

First: welcome to the forums! Ok, so first: do you want to get another GPU in the future, and use an sli config? if not, then the 850 W PSU is an overkill. 600 W is enough for a system like this, and by getting a lower power PSU you can save some money. If you can squeeze a 980 in there you are getting yourself an extra year or so of smooth gaming before having to buy another card, so i recommend it if you can afford one. Lastly: if you plan to use your pc for gaming and/or streaming, the i5 is enough. If you are serious about capturing gameplay and edit the videos, and want to encode them and upload them let's say to youtube, then maybe the i7 is a good choice. It is a lot more expensive though, and an i5 can do the job, only a  little bit slower, so if you decide to buy the i7, make sure you are serious about making media content, because if not, you waste 150$. Anyways, the build looks good, i see no serious problems with it. Have a good one!

Thank you both guys for helping me. In the end, I will go for this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9YZ9hM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($80.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.75 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($332.45 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1165.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 11:37 EDT-0400

I've chosen EVGA 750W g2 PSU as I may go with SLI in the future, but nevertheless, thanks to full modularity, I think that this bad boy will stay with me for a much longer time, than only this rig, Too bad that I couldn't find used GPUs in the price range I wanted to and wait for 1070, but I think 970 will do fine. For 2 - 3 years at least :)

Anyway it is a pretty good price for me (around 1280E), which will leave me 120E for additional upgrades down the road. I will try this configuration, and when I will not be satisfied with some components, I will change them (thanks for 7-day test period from e-shops!). 

So thank both of you guys, I really appreciate you helping me, and if you would like to, I can then post some pictures and thoughts after the build is complete :)  

Hello guys, 

I'm currently building my new PC (first build), and I'm aiming for medium-high range gaming PC, which could be used for streaming and video capturing.

I've come up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DVXJvK

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.75 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1196.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 05:20 EDT-0400

I have some money left in a budget, so I am really thinking about either

- getting a bigger SSD (the same but 500Gigs),

- replace the HDD with the "WD Black 2TB", 

- replacing the i5 with the i7 6700K,

- or I can replace the cooler with "SilentiumPC FERA 2", which I can get for free, and then I will somehow be able to squeeze "MSI 980 GAMING 4G" or "EVGA 980 SuperClocked ACX2" there.

What do you think? Do you think my build will be allright without additional cost, and I can save up for upgrading later? Are there some parts in the build you will recommend to replace? 

I will be using 1 monitor, but I want to buy a second one later, and I want to be able to game at 1080p with ultra settings for at least 3 years. (also the streaming and video capturing part).

As I really like Linus, I believe here are many more qualified and experienced people than me, so I would really need some help.

P.S.: I don't plan to watercool or overclock yet, maybe in the future, but I would like that path open. 

Thank you in advance!

13 minutes ago, Deli_SK said:

Hello guys, 

I'm currently building my new PC (first build), and I'm aiming for medium-high range gaming PC, which could be used for streaming and video capturing.

I've come up with this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DVXJvK

I have some money left in a budget, so I am really thinking about either

- getting a bigger SSD (the same but 500Gigs),

- replace the HDD with the "WD Black 2TB", 

- replacing the i5 with the i7 6700K,

- or I can replace the cooler with "SilentiumPC FERA 2", which I can get for free, and then I will somehow be able to squeeze "MSI 980 GAMING 4G" or "EVGA 980 SuperClocked ACX2" there.

What do you think? Do you think my build will be allright without additional cost, and I can save up for upgrading later? Are there some parts in the build you will recommend to replace? 

I will be using 1 monitor, but I want to buy a second one later, and I want to be able to game at 1080p with ultra settings for at least 3 years. (also the streaming and video capturing part).

As I really like Linus, I believe here are many more qualified and experienced people than me, so I would really need some help.

P.S.: I don't plan to watercool or overclock yet, maybe in the future, but I would like that path open. 

Thank you in advance!

-Yeah, you can get an i7 6700k within that budget quite easily. You do realized your PSU is way too overkill right? I'd suggest the SuperNOVA NEX 750W Bronze semi modular instead, much cheaper with good quality, and semi vs full modular is about the same unless you plan to go full custom cable.
-As for the SSD, I'd suggest you get another 120GB SSD instead of getting 1 500GB SSD. So you can install Windows and some common program like Office and stuff on the 120GB one, and all your game on the 250GB and HDD. Games dont benefit much from running on SSD compare to on HDD anyway, and if it's an online game you have to wait for other people too so it's not like faster loading time will help you. Or you could just use only 1 250GB SSD for both of those purpose. I suggest getting a 120GB so on the off chance you need to format, reinstall windows and stuff, doing it on a 120GB without important data is much better than doing it on a 500GB or 250GB one.
-While getting a 980 is great... the 1070 and 1080 is going to be out really soon, so if you could wait, or get a GTX 950/960/R9 370/R9 380 second hand for cheap it will be great, and save up money for when 1070 and 1080 finally come out.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

First: welcome to the forums! Ok, so first: do you want to get another GPU in the future, and use an sli config? if not, then the 850 W PSU is an overkill. 600 W is enough for a system like this, and by getting a lower power PSU you can save some money. If you can squeeze a 980 in there you are getting yourself an extra year or so of smooth gaming before having to buy another card, so i recommend it if you can afford one. Lastly: if you plan to use your pc for gaming and/or streaming, the i5 is enough. If you are serious about capturing gameplay and edit the videos, and want to encode them and upload them let's say to youtube, then maybe the i7 is a good choice. It is a lot more expensive though, and an i5 can do the job, only a  little bit slower, so if you decide to buy the i7, make sure you are serious about making media content, because if not, you waste 150$. Anyways, the build looks good, i see no serious problems with it. Have a good one!

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

Hello, 

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help.

PSU: I made a small mistake, I've originally picked EVGA 750W G2 one. but I am considering EVGA 550W G2 one now, which will actually help me with the budget if I want to go for the 980.

SSD/HDD: The SSD I will be using for Windows and most common programs (Chrome, VLC, Photoshop, Visual Studio) and the HDD for all data (movies, games, music).

GPU: I'm now really on the edge, as I think I wouldn't be able to afford 1080. The 970, I can get for 370E, and the 980 for 570E. Is it worth the additional 200E?

CPU: I think I'll go with the i5, as I wouldn't mind taking it longer to encode and cut videos..

I want my PC to be upgradable in the future, and I would like to upgrade only as little components as possible. Maybe I'll get another 970, if I will have some extra cash and won't go for 980.Also the CPU upgrade is much cheaper than the GPU upgrade, as the CPU upgrade costs only 125E as opposed to 200E GPU upgrade.

1 minute ago, Deli_SK said:

Hello, 

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your help.

PSU: I made a small mistake, I've originally picked EVGA 750W G2 one. but I am considering EVGA 550W G2 one now, which will actually help me with the budget if I want to go for the 980.

SSD/HDD: The SSD I will be using for Windows and most common programs (Chrome, VLC, Photoshop, Visual Studio) and the HDD for all data (movies, games, music).

GPU: I'm now really on the edge, as I think I wouldn't be able to afford 1080. The 970, I can get for 370E, and the 980 for 570E. Is it worth the additional 200E?

CPU: I think I'll go with the i5, as I wouldn't mind taking it longer to encode and cut videos..

I want my PC to be upgradable in the future, and I would like to upgrade only as little components as possible. Maybe I'll get another 970, if I will have some extra cash and won't go for 980.Also the CPU upgrade is much cheaper than the GPU upgrade, as the CPU upgrade costs only 125E as opposed to 200E GPU upgrade.

-There's also this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b10750vr , dont worry too much about Gold vs Bronze rating, they are about ... 5% different? It's really neglectable. And if you plan for future SLI you need something about 750W for sure.
- When the 1070 and 1080 come out, they probably will replace the current 970 and 980 place, so it mean ~370E for the 1070 and 570E for 1080 for you. It also mean 970 and 980 will come down in price. IMO, it not worth 200$ or 200E to go from 970 to 980, and since 1070 and 1080 will come out so soon (rumored May or June) I still say you should save ur money by buying a secondhand 950,960 or R9 370,380 for cheap.

-If so get an i5 6600k is totally fine. You have one more option is to go for Xeon, which is basically an i7 without the integrated GPU for the price of an i5. Normally we would suggest it though because should something wrong happen with your GPU, a i5 or i7 with an integrated GPU can still help you run the computer, a Xeon with out iGPU wont be able to display anything.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

GPU: I was looking for the second-hand options for older graphics card, but new 960 costs around 200 and I found 2 people selling used, and it was around 160 - 170. I am a bit skeptic about the 1070's price, as I think the price will stabilize in 8 months or so, so I think I will go for the 970, and then upgrade to 1070 after a year or two, if I'd think my HW wouldn't be enough.

CPU:  I was looking for XEON, but unfortunately they are out of stock, and will restock probably in like one or two weeks, and tbh I cannot wait that long (and they are around 90E more expensive with the similar specs to i5, the only difference is HT and 8MB cache instead of 6). I think I'll take the i5 then.

PSU: The difference between G2 and B2 is usualy around 15E, which is not much IMHO, (750W G2 is 120E and 750W B2 is 105). Do you think it is worth it?

5 hours ago, Megazero said:

6 hours ago, Epiclol86 said:

Thank you both guys for helping me. In the end, I will go for this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9YZ9hM

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1165.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-18 11:37 EDT-0400

I've chosen EVGA 750W g2 PSU as I may go with SLI in the future, but nevertheless, thanks to full modularity, I think that this bad boy will stay with me for a much longer time, than only this rig, Too bad that I couldn't find used GPUs in the price range I wanted to and wait for 1070, but I think 970 will do fine. For 2 - 3 years at least :)

Anyway it is a pretty good price for me (around 1280E), which will leave me 120E for additional upgrades down the road. I will try this configuration, and when I will not be satisfied with some components, I will change them (thanks for 7-day test period from e-shops!). 

So thank both of you guys, I really appreciate you helping me, and if you would like to, I can then post some pictures and thoughts after the build is complete :)