NAS + Render Farm

On 18-3-2016 at 8:24 PM, HunterAP said:

With RAID 10, I wouldn't need to purchase a RAID card (saving me at least $400), and I get better performance / less risk of URE. With RAID 6 I get a better chance of saving my drives since two can fail before everything goes down, but URE's are higher because if a drive fails, then the data has to be rewritten.

I'm also going to run Windows 2012 Server R2, so if I remember right FreeNAS and unRAID are OS's so I won't need them.

Also if I plan on expanding the storage, I'd probably backup / clone the data to another RAID array, then replace the drives and wipe the old ones, but expansion won't be an issue.

I'm thinking of going with RAID 6 even though it's more expensive since it'll be more reliable and I'm not looking for super high performance since the build will only stream or render videos overnights, and stick with the 4u 8 bay Rosewill case I posted earlier. 

The only questions I have are how exactly j can stream from the server to another PC, and then record that to the pc. My plan currently is to stream games through Steam's In-Home streaming service and record the video with Nvidia Shadowplay or OBS. This should work properly, right? I can't think of any issues aside from network bottlenecking, which shouldn't be too bad if the recording is being saved to the PC's local drive, then transferred to the server for rendering.

I think if you are going to render videos from that raid 6 you wil be bottlenecked by it (I don't know for sure) I would render it on a ssd and then move it to the raid array.

The only questions I have are how exactly j can stream from the server to another PC, and then record that to the pc

What do you mean?

Lastly, are there efficient ways to make Pemiere Pro or Sony Vegas 13 automatically render videos placed in a specific folder on the server and output them to another foldercon the server?

Use Adobe Media Encoder CC it comes for free with Premiere Pro (Linus uses it)

Speaking of rendering, what is more optimal: open the file for editing in premiere pro/Sony Vegas (which would be installed on the server), then edit the file from the local drive or from the server?

Is the server at your home? So connected with a gigabit ethernet cable? Then you can do it from the server (Linus made a video about that) Otherwise you should do it from you local drive. (Just copy the save file to the server and open that so you can render it there)