Full Linux install on Samsung Chromebook

So at the end of this year, our school will be selling us the Chromebooks we've used for the past 4 years, and obviously the first thing I'm gonna want to do is install Linux on it (even though it technically has it already :P). This is assuming they don't leave them in Education mode where everything is locked down, that is. This is the device: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/chrome-os-devices/XE303C12-A01US. I have a few questions though. One, can I install the Debian ARM64 version on it (I'm only asking because I'm not sure if the Exynos 5 Dual is ARM or ARM64). Two, what are my options for a custom BIOS? I'd prefer not to use Crouton if I don't have to.  Third and final question, and actually the most important, assuming I can get Debian on it, am I able to add the same programs that I can on my 64 bit machine, like Spotify for example, or do ARM distros use different repositories? 

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Also have the same question also in the same position as you but my schools giving them for free :)

I have the chromebook (school issued), but it's locked down so I can't install linux. Because of this I never looked into it much, but if you have questions about the hardware I can answer those for you.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Exynos 5 Dual is 32-bit

ARM versions use different repositories, but the basic stuff is ported. You can compile open source programs yourself.

Ask them if it will be locked. If yes, then ask them to unlock it. If they refuse then either don't buy it or maybe try something like externally formating the drive. I have no idea how Chromebooks are built.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

8 hours ago, FirstArmada said:

Also have the same question also in the same position as you but my schools giving them for free :)

I think it's only a couple bucks, possibly even just a dollar

3 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Exynos 5 Dual is 32-bit

ARM versions use different repositories, but the basic stuff is ported. You can compile open source programs yourself.

Ask them if it will be locked. If yes, then ask them to unlock it. If they refuse then either don't buy it or maybe try something like externally formating the drive. I have no idea how Chromebooks are built.

I think Fedora has a version that'll work on the Samsung CB, which isn't ideal for me because I haven't used Fedora at all, but it's better than being stuck with Chrome OS. The install guide kinda sucks though

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01