NAS build feedback

Just looking for some feedback on a <$300Can NAS build. Basically a Plex and fileserver though I don't mind a bit of overkill in the event I find any other uses for it.

The power supply wattage is way higher than I need but the price is good and it can always be re-purposed later for another machine. I have a couple of spare 1TB hard drives so that is why they aren't listed. Also I picked the motherboard based on the fact it has 4 Sata 6 connectors and a USB3 header.

The one question I have is what is the best RAM config for this board and APU? I believe it is single channel but I don't know if there would be any performance difference between 1x4G stick or 2x2G sticks.

Any changes that keep the price below $300Can are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/g8srzy
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/g8srzy/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($51.60 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-ITX Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($40.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.43 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.98 @ NCIX) 
Total: $282.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-15 08:05 EDT-0400

I assume you have the Hard Drives already?

Also what Nas os will you be using?

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

Bacon8tor... I actually just edited the post when you responded. I have two 1TB hard drives on hand and I plan to run Ubuntu Server 14.04

8 minutes ago, virtual_zero said:

Bacon8tor... I actually just edited the post when you responded. I have two 1TB hard drives on hand and I plan to run Ubuntu Server 14.04

I've been running Ubuntu Server since 10.04, while I love it, it's overly complicated for a NAS box. I would recommend FreeNAS if you don't want to spend any money but preferably unRAID. I've been using unRAID for about 6 months and I will never go back.

i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 @1866MHz, MSI Gaming X 8G GTX 1080@2060MHz, 500GB SSD, 2TB Raid 0 HDD, 240GB Raid 0 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 850W PSU, Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

1 minute ago, southpaw5271 said:

I've been running Ubuntu Server since 10.04, while I love it, it's overly complicated for a NAS box. I would recommend FreeNAS if you don't want to spend any money but preferably unRAID. I've been using unRAID for about 6 months and I will never go back.

Not really suitable for FreeNAS unless he isn't too worried about loosing data or data corruption. If the data you want to store on it isn't too critical and you wouldn't be bothered if you lost it or it corrupted, then sure its fine.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

@southpaw5271 I currently have an old Dell Inspiron 530 running Ubuntu Server so I am comfortable in using it. I took a look at FreeNAS and didn't see any benefit to changing. I will take a look at unRAID and see what it offers. Thanks.

@Eniqmatic Yeah that is exactly my approach. Everything critical is already being backed up online... the NAS will be primarily for storing local media which I won't be backing up. And while I'd prefer not to lose any data I prefer to take the glass half full approach... if it does get corrupted it is just natures way of helping me get rid of content that we don't watch or listen to anymore.

5 minutes ago, virtual_zero said:

@Eniqmatic Yeah that is exactly my approach. Everything critical is already being backed up online... the NAS will be primarily for storing local media which I won't be backing up. And while I'd prefer not to lose any data I prefer to take the glass half full approach... if it does get corrupted it is just natures way of helping me get rid of content that we don't watch or listen to anymore.

Sounds like you already have what you need then. unRaid won't offer you any benefit if you don't think FreeNAS will. The only slight benefit is that Plex is very easily installed and managed through FreeNAS (not sure about unRaid) with a click of one button really. However if your comfortable with Ubuntu then this isn't an issue.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications