Live streaming vs upload speed

dewie93

Hi guys,

I'm planning on setting up a dual 24-hour live-stream website with two 720p streams running to one page. The internet connection this will be streaming from is about 51mbps down and 8mbps up with BT infinity.

Is this enough or do we need to do some serious work to try and get an improved internet connection in time?

Cheers,

Jordan

yeah you want 3.5mbps for 720p 60fps stream to twitch
so 8 up is enough for 2 streams

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 720p? No fricking way.

I stream @ 720p 30fps at a 1750 bitrate and that completely tanks my 16mbps connection and my stream still looks like a turd.

8mbps up would mean you'd have to stream at a lowly 500 bitrate which would be equal to a 240p stream with true quality.

6 minutes ago, dewie93 said:

-snip-

If you are looking for the quality of a twitch stream they use 3500 as a max bitrate. that is ok for a 1080p 30fps stream so dubble that and its 7mb/s (close enough), but you are looking at 720p so yeah its great. but you do need to think about how much you use when you do what your doing if it is a online game that can use your upload also. 

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

1 minute ago, CalculuS said:

On 720p? No fricking way.

I stream @ 720p 30fps at a 1750 bitrate and that completely tanks my 16mbps connection and my stream still looks like a turd.

8mbps up would mean you'd have to stream at a lowly 500 bitrate which would be equal to a 240p stream with true quality.

um... 1750 "bitrate" is 1.7mbps... no way it can "tank" a 16 mbps connection unless you are confusing upload and download and the upload is 2 mbps or something...

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

4 minutes ago, reddemonoverlord said:

If you are looking for the quality of a twitch stream they use 3500 as a max bitrate. that is ok for a 1080p 30fps stream so dubble that and its 7mb/s (close enough), but you are looking at 720p so yeah its great. but you do need to think about how much you use when you do what your doing if it is a online game that can use your upload also. 

not a game, its 2 PTZ cameras mounted on a roof capturing passing aircraft on approach to a busy UK airport (not Heathrow).

It is however the householders main internet connection for facebook and anything else. So what i'm hearing is that it is 'enough' but only just, so if we can find a way to improve, then we might be better off. Is that correct?

7 minutes ago, reddemonoverlord said:

um... 1750 "bitrate" is 1.7mbps... no way it can "tank" a 16 mbps connection

nvm

1 minute ago, dewie93 said:

not a game, its 2 PTZ cameras mounted on a roof capturing passing aircraft on approach to a busy UK airport (not Heathrow).

It is however the householders main internet connection for facebook and anything else. So what i'm hearing is that it is 'enough' but only just, so if we can find a way to improve, then we might be better off. Is that correct?

yeah, if it is not "intensive" video like gameplay you can lower the bitrate, 720p at 30fps can go down to 2000 per stream, facebook and other things dont really take much unless they upload a lot of videos.

4 minutes ago, CalculuS said:

Bitrate in Xsplit = KBPS.

A5uaviF.png

Yes, thats what i said. the step up from kbps is mbps making 1000 kbps into 1 mbps.. BTW thats every "bitrate"

ce143e1f0faa4952ba03807e440cafbd.png

http://mahobeachcam.com/

Not a great time to look, but this is the sort of idea, but with 2 cameras. In daylight its pretty good, but I can't tell what 'quality' this is streaming at. I also need an outdoor microphone like these people too. Another thing to add to the mix!

I'd like the quality a little higher than these if its possible, since they're on a small island I imagine the internet connectivity is limited.

What do you think?

7 minutes ago, dewie93 said:

http://mahobeachcam.com/

Not a great time to look, but this is the sort of idea, but with 2 cameras. In daylight its pretty good, but I can't tell what 'quality' this is streaming at. I also need an outdoor microphone like these people too. Another thing to add to the mix!

I'd like the quality a little higher than these if its possible, since they're on a small island I imagine the internet connectivity is limited.

What do you think?

Well 720 30 fps is still a great streaming quality, and with the fact that not much is changing on screen the bit-rate can go down, the add in of a mic was included in the reccomented bit-rate, so thats not going to hamper it.

So we should be too bad then. I assume there is no impact with the amount of people that are viewing it, that load will all be taken by the server (wherever that may be). Is that correct?  As you can tell i'm a total newbie with this! Networking & software are not my forte, but give me a laptop and some replacement parts and i'll have it repaired in minutes!

Its a learning curve for me and since it is a potential big earner, then its worth getting stuck in. 

Now I've gotta figure out how to get it onto the site with a subscription service. Don't want to use Ustream or anything since it will have a whole website based around the cameras, but the cameras will be a paid service.