HS Fan replacement/noise reduction

Spork829

I recently maybe kind of sort of broke my stock cooler for my i5-4460 and upgraded to a Hyper 212 Evo. The cooler works great but the fan is quite loud. I have my PC about 2 feet away from me so I'm used to a slight bit of noise, but this fan being louder than my case fans and having a less pleasing, higher pitched sound is a bit annoying. My CPU temps are fine (about 25C idle and never over 63C under load), and the fan isn't really any louder under load or not. There is basically no dust on it, so that's not a factor. Is there any way I can make it quieter? Should I just replace the fan with something better, and if so, is that even possible, since Coolermaster uses clips instead of screws for fan mounting on the 212?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I personally use the Hyper 212 Evo and the fan is dead silent. Maybe you got a bad batch?

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

2 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

I personally use the Hyper 212 Evo and the fan is dead silent. Maybe you got a bad batch?

Hope this helps :P

Could be, as I did hear from several people that it's supposed to be really quiet. Not sure what I can do about it at this point as it's been longer than the return policy.

Just now, Spork829 said:

Could be, as I did hear from several people that it's supposed to be really quiet. Not sure what I can do about it at this point as it's been longer than the return policy.

Try mounting a fan on the back of your case and maybe use that instead of the cooler fan? you might get higher temps but it would be quiter.

Though you can replace that fan by looking it up online.

Hope you resolve your issue soon!

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

Try mounting a fan on the back of your case and maybe use that instead of the cooler fan? you might get higher temps but it would be quiter.

Though you can replace that fan by looking it up online.

Hope you resolve your issue soon!

I have another fan right behind it as exhaust because that came with the case, as well as 2 front intake fans. Those ones are pretty near silent anyways, but I would rather replace the fan as I would be concerned with temperatures in that case.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

I have another fan right behind it as exhaust because that came with the case, as well as 2 front intake fans. Those ones are pretty near silent anyways, but I would rather replace the fan as I would be concerned with temperatures in that case.

Yea, the Evo comes with the mounting holes for another fan so you can even get 2 new fans!

1 minute ago, ProKeero said:

Yea, the Evo comes with the mounting holes for another fan so you can even get 2 new fans!

Oh, it does? I was under the impression that it only supported the clip-on mounts like the ones on the fan it comes with.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Oh, it does? I was under the impression that it only supported the clip-on mounts like the ones on the fan it comes with.

Yea the clip on mounts that what i meant lol

29 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Yea the clip on mounts that what i meant lol

Ah, okay. That's what I thought XD. I'll look into a new one.