I have a problem after upgrading my cpu and motherboard

Hi,

I recently upgraded my system and changed my motherboard and CPU. The install works fine and my games are running great. he problem that I am having is that windows is saying it is not activated.

Has anybody else had this problem and do you know how to solve this.

Thankyou very much for taking the time to read this I would be very grateful for any help that you could give me.

Did you have an OEM version of windows? 

Did you pirate it? Or did you buy it from a retailer.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

I bought it from amazon

If it is OEM you are probably going to have to contact Microsoft and explain the situation.  I believe they will give you a new key but I am not positive.  Hopefully someone who has dealt with this before can chime in.

OEM licences are not transferable to a new system, I doubt MS would help

next time buy FPP/retail licence

I take it the copy is the same one you were using with your previous motherboard and CPU?

OEM copies of windows are only meant for use on one computer and that usually means one motherboard and is not supposed to be transferable to a new computer.

People can usually just call MS's automated activation number and get the license transferred anyway.

Sometimes people have gotten a live operator who doesn't want to transfer said license as a new CPU and motherboard can be considered a new computer and thus not be covered in the OEM license.

This is often circumvented just by hanging up and calling again and talking to a different operator.

Yea if you bought an OEM version of windows this is where your problem is. OEM versions I think with windows 10 take mobo info and lock that license to that mobo. OEM versions tend to be cheaper as they are non transferable in theory but if you plead with MS they may do it as a gesture of good will. Then again they are not obliged too.

Get to the activation screen, it should ask for a CD key or you should be able to choose to activate over the phone. Choose the over the phone method. Call the number on the screen, tell the numbers displayed to the robot, robot will tell you input values, put them in, job done.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

1 hour ago, Snadzies said:

I take it the copy is the same one you were using with your previous motherboard and CPU?

OEM copies of windows are only meant for use on one computer and that usually means one motherboard and is not supposed to be transferable to a new computer.

People can usually just call MS's automated activation number and get the license transferred anyway.

Sometimes people have gotten a live operator who doesn't want to transfer said license as a new CPU and motherboard can be considered a new computer and thus not be covered in the OEM license.

This is often circumvented just by hanging up and calling again and talking to a different operator.

I've only gotten the live operator once. I think MSFT finally figured out it was cheaper to let the robo-call do it, which is what I've gotten the last 6 times I've done this.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Thank you very much for all of the help I have managed to fix it

19 hours ago, pilk said:

Thank you very much for all of the help I have managed to fix it

How did you fix it? I am in the same situation (new motherboard) and bought an OEM key a month ago. Did you just call Microsoft and get a new code?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k (4.5ghz)CPU Cooler: H80i GT | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 2gb SSC ACX 2.0+

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97mx-Gaming 5 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb 1600 (2x8)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Seagate 2TBMonitor: Asus VN247H-P

Case: Corsair Air 240Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 650w 80+ Bronze

Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromaKeyboard: CM Quickfire TK BluesHeadset: Logitech G430s

On 3/12/2016 at 0:02 PM, runit3 said:

Get to the activation screen, it should ask for a CD key or you should be able to choose to activate over the phone. Choose the over the phone method. Call the number on the screen, tell the numbers displayed to the robot, robot will tell you input values, put them in, job done.

This works for an original Windows 10 OEM key?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k (4.5ghz)CPU Cooler: H80i GT | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 2gb SSC ACX 2.0+

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97mx-Gaming 5 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb 1600 (2x8)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Seagate 2TBMonitor: Asus VN247H-P

Case: Corsair Air 240Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 650w 80+ Bronze

Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromaKeyboard: CM Quickfire TK BluesHeadset: Logitech G430s

Just now, Wyes said:

This works for an original Windows 10 OEM key?

Unless MSFT has changed their process it should be fairly universal through all of their OS releases. I haven't had to do it with Win 10 yet.