[Build Check] tri-monitor setup(No Gaming)

Hey everyone, my buddy requested a build for $700 or under that would allow for a tri-monitor setup, the rig will be used for stock trading, video editing (not super heavy), and general browsing. Whole reason for this was because he was about to spend $800 on a pre-built with an i7 6700 and a gt 730... Yes that's right, a gt 730 for $800..

Anyways, here's the build. He wants an i7 but doesn't need one, again this will run 2-3 monitors, any help you can give is appreciated. Thanks!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4pRZkL

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.04 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($37.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($30.00) 
Total: $684.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-10 21:01 EST-0500

Just now, Abyssal Radon said:

i7's are good processors for video editing... just saying. Also the build looks good.

He says he's gonna be editing video, but at most its gonna be some 720 or 1080p go pro footage, nothing fancy, think imovie levels of editing.

If he is going to be doing any video editing you might want to get the E5 2670. It has 8 cores and 16 threads. It is the chip I have. It isl also only about 70US on Ebay. However the X79 motherboards for this chip will cost about about 200ish. For me it cost exactly 300US for the CPU, motherboard, and 16GB RAM. Definitely a great CPU for the price. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($241.80 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($27.45 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $711.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-10 21:08 EST-0500

Changed CPU, added cooler cooler ;)

16 gigs of ram

Better PSU if he ever does want to game :)

2 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

If he is going to be doing any video editing you might want to get the E5 2670. It has 8 cores and 16 threads. It is the chip I have. It isl also only about 70US on Ebay. However the X79 motherboards for this chip will cost about about 200ish. For me it cost exactly 300US for the CPU, motherboard, and 16GB RAM. Definitely a great CPU for the price. 

Think imovie levels of editing, not premiere or anything like that. cutting together gopro footage at the most, or some screen recording.

3 hours ago, zipperbiscuits said:

Think imovie levels of editing, not premiere or anything like that. cutting together gopro footage at the most, or some screen recording.

Still the Xeon E5 2670 will be better than an i5 in my opinion. Also with that many cores it should be good for a few years to come. If you were wondering why they are so cheap it because they were a popular data center chip a few years ago and now a lot of those data centers are upgrading to the E5 2670 V3 so they are dumping thousands of these chips on the market. It is also slightly cheaper than the i5 and you can get a cheap CPU cooler because Xeons are pretty cool chips. Mine never goes above 50 degrees Celsius. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

8 minutes ago, Aytex said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($241.80 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($27.45 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($61.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $711.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-10 21:08 EST-0500

Changed CPU, added cooler cooler ;)

16 gigs of ram

Better PSU if he ever does want to game :)

I would do this but with no cooler as the cpu cannot be overclocked and get an SSD, its really silly not to have one in a $700-800 build.

1 minute ago, Trey222 said:

Still the Xeon E5 2670 will be better than an i5 in my opinion. Also with that many cores it should be good for a few years to come. If you were wondering why they are so cheap it because they were a popular data center chip a few years ago and now a lot of those data centers are upgrading to the E5 2670 V3 so they are dumping thousands of these chips on the market. It is also slightly cheaper than the i5 and you can get a cheap CPU cooler because Xeons are pretty cool chips. Mine never goes above 50 degrees Celsius. 

Ill definitely  keep that in mind for future builds, however im doing whatever he wants, he isnt to bright but he has so much cash his wallet needs its own wallet. The original build will suffice right? general use, 3 monitors, stocks, and windows movie maker level editing.

3 hours ago, zipperbiscuits said:

Ill definitely  keep that in mind for future builds, however im doing whatever he wants, he isnt to bright but he has so much cash his wallet needs its own wallet. The original build will suffice right? general use, 3 monitors, stocks, and windows movie maker level editing.

Yeah your build would be fine for general use. However I suggest getting an SSD. It will make the whole system feel faster.  

Just now, Trey222 said:

Yeah your build would be fine for general use. However I suggest getting an SSD. It will make the whole system feel faster.  

True, hell he has the cash to spare why not! Alright thanks a lot!