3930k Render Times

Hey guys, so today I have a question about my CPU. I am currently running an i7 3930k at stock speeds, and i am rendering a 6 minute video at 1080p 30fps, and it is saying that it will take almost 12 minutes to render. This seems long considering I essentially have a 12 core CPU. Am I just expecting too much, or is my computer really running slow for a 3930k? Thanks 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero RAM: 4x 8gb Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz PSU: 1200W Maingear 80+ Platinum Case: Lian Li O-11 Dynamic XL CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II Monitor: Alienware AW3418DW Keyboard: Fnatic Streak Mini Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate Sound: Sennheiser HD 700

Idk if it's normal, but I still highly advise you to overclock the CPU. You're going to benefit from it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, TheMoInMo said:

Hey guys, so today I have a question about my CPU. I am currently running an i7 3930k at stock speeds, and i am rendering a 6 minute video at 1080p 30fps, and it is saying that it will take almost 12 minutes to render. This seems long considering I essentially have a 12 core CPU. Am I just expecting too much, or is my computer really running slow for a 3930k? Thanks 

not enough info,what program do you use and what settings do you render at

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

I have the same chip, as long as they have decent cooling you should easily be able to push +1000mhz without much overvolting, if any.

Its multithreaded performance is pretty close to a skylake i7...

This is way too little info to go on.  That might be great or terrible.  No idea.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I am using Sony Vegas Pro 13, with the MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4;*.avc) on the Internet HD 1080p preset. Do I need to give my whole system specs? would that help?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero RAM: 4x 8gb Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz PSU: 1200W Maingear 80+ Platinum Case: Lian Li O-11 Dynamic XL CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II Monitor: Alienware AW3418DW Keyboard: Fnatic Streak Mini Mouse: Razer Viper Ultimate Sound: Sennheiser HD 700

Just now, TheMoInMo said:

I am using Sony Vegas Pro 13, with the MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4;*.avc) on the Internet HD 1080p preset. Do I need to give my whole system specs? would that help?

Thanks, that is better.  I don't know if we need full specs but GPU would be important if you're using any hardware acceleration.

Unfortunately I can't really comment though since I only have experience encoding on premiere/Adobe Media Encoder.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Thanks, that is better.  I don't know if we need full specs but GPU would be important if you're using any hardware acceleration.

Unfortunately I can't really comment though since I only have experience encoding on premiere/Adobe Media Encoder.

I have a GTX 780

18 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have the same chip, as long as they have decent cooling you should easily be able to push +1000mhz without much overvolting, if any.

Its multithreaded performance is pretty close to a skylake i7...

It's actually faster than a skylake i7 multithreaded-wise :) 8-15% depending on the OCs (8% stock)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

So I was never told, is this average for a stock 3930k?

1 hour ago, TheMoInMo said:

I essentially have a 12 core CPU.

Luke JUST did a video on this misconception... *eye roll*

Okay, let's go over some things.  Firstly, you haven't said what program you're using and the efficiency of implementation for video compression can vary widely by software.  This also depends on if you're doing a straight encode of video or if there's a lot of processing going on, like a render of an editing or compositing program that applies different effects.  It's also important to note that video encoding and even rendering is not necessarily 'embarrassingly parallel' meaning getting a great amount of efficiency across multiple cores may not happen.  I've seen plenty of Nuke scripts use up relatively little CPU power, but only because the scripts are so heavily dependent on I/O that the system's I/O throughput is unable to even get close to saturating the CPU.