What is this thing and how do I use it

HPWebcamAble
Go to solution Solved by HPWebcamAble,
48 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

no, it's a patch panel.

....etc. it only causes an extra connection and abit of speedloss... but it's "eye pleasing" all the cables out of the house don't come in one big web of cables, but in a fancy patch panel...

Just asked my Dad, he said the same thing. He had no idea what it does, but he knew it was a patch panel

After a bit of googling, it seems to be useless to me. Sure, more 'eye pleasing', but have you seen the other side of the panel?

Turns out I can unplug something from the Verizon Router. It isn't needed anymore.

47 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

yeh the router will do... makes more ethernet exits but ... you said you wanted to run a server. So the router creates a new network ...... I don't see this end well :)  

Long story short... I have this setup already, but in my room. It hasn't been issue free, but it generally works.

(See this topic where I had to troubleshoot some issues with it)

In my basement, I've got this:

http://imgur.com/a/Z2GLo

It's a mess. I know, I didn't set it up.

I want to connect a computer to the internet. It will live in the basement (as a server)

It doesn't have wifi, so it needs to plug into something in the picture.

The Verizon Router (highlighted in red) already has four things plugged into it. It only has four ports.

The black strip (highlighted in green) has two cables from the Verizon Router going into it (see pictures)

What is the black strip? I assume it's some kind of network switch.

But plugging the computer into it (slot 3, to be exact) didn't work. The computer couldn't access the internet.

How do I connect another computer to this setup?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

It's a switch board.  3 and 4 goes to it and that's it?  Kinda weird if it leads to nowhere,

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Looks like a patch panel.. Can't clearly tell in the picture. I'd have to know more about the setup to know if just plugging into that would be a viable solution. Shouldn't hurt to try that though!

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It's a switch board.  3 and 4 goes to it and that's it?  Kinda weird if it leads to nowhere,

The back of it has a bunch of wires coming out, as you can see in the top left of the picture

2 minutes ago, MblaZe7run said:

Looks like a patch panel.. Can't clearly tell in the picture. I'd have to know more about the setup to know if just plugging into that would be a viable solution. Shouldn't hurt to try that though!

Plugged the computer into slot 3, no dice.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

6 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

What you need is a switch

Is the black strip not a switch?

I do have another router I can do this with, but I'd prefer to use the components that are already there if I can.

26 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

In my basement, I've got this:

http://imgur.com/a/Z2GLo

It's a mess. I know, I didn't set it up.

I want to connect a computer to the internet. It will live in the basement (as a server)

It doesn't have wifi, so it needs to plug into something in the picture.

The Verizon Router (highlighted in red) already has four things plugged into it. It only has four ports.

The black strip (highlighted in green) has two cables from the Verizon Router going into it (see pictures)

What is the black strip? I assume it's some kind of network switch.

But plugging the computer into it (slot 3, to be exact) didn't work. The computer couldn't access the internet.

How do I connect another computer to this setup?

Do you have TV through Verizon as well? It might be going to some set top boxes or something.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

no, it's a patch panel. 

it's installed by electricians to run UTP cables more aesthetically.

Every number on the black strip/patch panel corresponds with an ethernet port in the house.

for example:

1: Living room

2: Kitchen

3: Bedroom

4: Bedroom 2 

....etc. it only causes an extra connection and abit of speedloss... but it's "eye pleasing" all the cables out of the house don't come in one big web of cables, but in a fancy patch panel...

yeh the router will do... makes more ethernet exits but ... you said you wanted to run a server. So the router creates a new network ...... I don't see this end well :)  

48 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

no, it's a patch panel.

Just asked my Dad, he said the same thing. He had no idea what it does, but he knew it was a patch panel

After a bit of googling, it seems to be useless to me. Sure, more 'eye pleasing', but have you seen the other side of the panel?

Turns out I can unplug something from the Verizon Router. It isn't needed anymore.

47 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

Long story short... I have this setup already, but in my room. It hasn't been issue free, but it generally works.

(See this topic where I had to troubleshoot some issues with it)