PC suddenly turned off and won't turn on with the same GPU

Lothias

Hi,

so I was playing a game and suddenly, my PC turned off on me. It won't boot, fans won't spin, the MB diod won't turn on, nothing. That's until I unplug the GPU - GTX 970. It won't do this when I unplug it, with no GPU, the diod will turn on (it's on even when PC is turned off, as long as it has power) which is what I find most weird, I mean if it was the GPU causing this, won't the diod stay on all the time?

PC turns on without GPU (but 'cause it's Xeon and doesn't have onboard graphics, it doesn't really matter) and it also turns on with Radeon 6850 plugged in, but that's fairly less demanding GPU. 

The PSU is Seasonic M12 II 520W.

So is it possibly that the PSU suddenly "broke" a little bit or is it really just the GPU that's done for?

Thanks in advance.

eh gpu probably, although I have no idea why? o-o

It could be the PSU doe

something failed?

I dont think the PSU would break a little but I would guess it might be an issue with PSU not rated enough for the GPU. What are your full specs?

The full spec are below, but I dont think they are that demanding that a rated Seasonic PSU wouldnt handle them.

Xeon 1231v3

Asus Vanguard B85

MSI 970 Gaming

Crucial Ballistix 4x4GB RAM

Crucial BX 500 GB SSD

3x 120 Noctua fans + Scythe fan on CPU

Seasonic M12 II 520W

Edit. I would test it with another PC but everyone around here just have gaming laptops.

46 minutes ago, Lothias said:

Hi,

so I was playing a game and suddenly, my PC turned off on me. It won't boot, fans won't spin, the MB diod won't turn on, nothing. That's until I unplug the GPU - GTX 970. It won't do this when I unplug it, with no GPU, the diod will turn on (it's on even when PC is turned off, as long as it has power) which is what I find most weird, I mean if it was the GPU causing this, won't the diod stay on all the time?

PC turns on without GPU (but 'cause it's Xeon and doesn't have onboard graphics, it doesn't really matter) and it also turns on with Radeon 6850 plugged in, but that's fairly less demanding GPU. 

The PSU is Seasonic M12 II 520W.

So is it possibly that the PSU suddenly "broke" a little bit or is it really just the GPU that's done for?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, is this system overclocked? Did you try the PCI Express 2.0 slot on your motherboard to see if it would post? Also, if you have your motherboard speaker connected, are there any beep codes? If you had another power supply you could give that a shot as well.

“Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

9 hours ago, HiJackDis said:

Greetings, is this system overclocked? Did you try the PCI Express 2.0 slot on your motherboard to see if it would post? Also, if you have your motherboard speaker connected, are there any beep codes? If you had another power supply you could give that a shot as well.

No, the system is not overclocked at at all. I don't fully understand that bit about the PCI-E slot, I mean of course the slot works, the PC runs with Radeon 6850 plugged in. The MB doesn't seem to have a speaker, but even if it did, I don't think it would beep, 'cause when I plug the 970 in, the whole system just seem dead. And I obviously don't have another PSU. Oh well, it seems to me that I will just have to bring the whole PC somewhere to let them run diagnostics, all the parts are still under warranty, but like this I will never be able to tell, which one is faulty. 

4 hours ago, Lothias said:

No, the system is not overclocked at at all. I don't fully understand that bit about the PCI-E slot, I mean of course the slot works, the PC runs with Radeon 6850 plugged in. The MB doesn't seem to have a speaker, but even if it did, I don't think it would beep, 'cause when I plug the 970 in, the whole system just seem dead. And I obviously don't have another PSU. Oh well, it seems to me that I will just have to bring the whole PC somewhere to let them run diagnostics, all the parts are still under warranty, but like this I will never be able to tell, which one is faulty. 

Have you tried the 970 in the other PCI-E slot he is asking

I would suspect the PSU.

I don't see why the GPU would stop the motherboard from getting power unless it has physical damage.

It's not a race to the bottom.

4 hours ago, Fyfey96 said:

Have you tried the 970 in the other PCI-E slot he is asking

Oh right, that's actually not possible, the other slot is the one at the very bottom and the two slot card cooler is interfering with some of the stuff on the MB in the bottom part. 

Anyway, I ordered EVGA Supernova 650 G2, I'll try it with that one, if it doesn't work, I'll return the new PSU and the graphics, if it does, I'll keep the new PSU, it's way better anyway.

Check your PSU. your mobo will still turn on if your GPU is dead(if you plug your video output to the GPU you wont get any input on your monitor)

if the GPU is dead, it will show in Device manager..

Hope that helps

"Strive to be the best and be the best!"